Get instant digital access.

Choice Views From the Japanese Classic Car Show

Hachi-rokus.

Hakosukas.

Mangos.

If those nicknames conjure up images of classic Japanese machines, then you were in the right place, this year’s Japanese Classic Car Show. It was held September 23, once again within sight of the Queen Mary in Long Beach, California.

Want to see even more from the show. We posted photos on Instagram, too.

1972 Nissan Skyline GT.

510 wagons? Yes, please.

1967 Datsun PL411 Bluebird wagon, too.

1971 Datsun Bluebird SSS Coupe.

There were a lot of Z-cars present, but this is a genuine Japanese-market Fairlady, complete with the original 2.0-liter, cylinder engine. Its current owner has been with the car for more than 40 years as he bought it while stationed in Japan. Look for a full feature on this one in a future issue of Classic Motorsports.

Lots of cars on the field wore the Nissan badge. Like several other Japanese manufacturers, Nissan also had their own display, with this perfect 510 sedan holding center court.

The land-speed Hardbody also came from the Nissan collection.

Racing Beat brought out several Mazdas from their collection.

Mazda showed off their 767B plus a pair of Cosmos.

Student/artist Deven Hitchens.

Honda brought out the little cars.

Something different: Denis Aquino’s 1977 Dodge Colt/Mitsubishi Lancer.

Toyota Corona.

1981 Honda City with matching MotoCompo scooter–oh, and a bunch of CRXs.

1975 Toyota Celica, a former Long Beach Grand Prix pace car.

And to go with it, a Celica GTU racer.

1974 Toyota Celica GT.

A Mango: 1973 Toyota Sprinter Trueno.

AE86 Toyotas.

Trucks, too, like this 1985 Mitsubishi Delica.

1986 Subaru BRAT with Mom-approved tail-gunner seats.

1975 Mazda REPU.

1980 Mitsubishi Arrow Sport.

1980 Honda Accord LX.

1985 Honda Accord sedan.

1977 Nissan Skyline 240K.

1985 Honda CRX Si.

1972 Mazda RX-3 race car.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Datsun, Honda, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru and Toyota articles.

Comments

9/26/17 2:46 p.m.

If you're coming here from the message board, click the "Read the rest of the story" link for all of the photos. Fun show. Lots of cool cars. Not sure how I feel about seeing cars that I once owned and/or drove being considered classic. My parents had an '84 Accord--same colors as the '85 that I photographed. They had a Corona, too, way before Japanese cars were common on Long Island. Good times, good times.

HapDL
HapDL New Reader
9/26/17 4:45 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Ha!  Talk about old!  I bought a 1977 Honda Accord brand for new, and that was my 3rd brand new car.  So how much of an old crock does that make me?

BTW, that Accord was the best and worst car I owned up until then, it was a great fun driver but what a piece of crap it was.  Two complete body jobs (fenders, door, hatch, paint both times), 6 brake jobs, a broken front coil that went through a tire, 3 cams and 6 years later it was done with no floor left in it.   Love/hate defined.

mtgawesome
mtgawesome
9/26/17 6:37 p.m.

What type of car is the car in the first photo that is in the background of the photo and is bright yellow?

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project New Reader
9/26/17 7:24 p.m.

In reply to mtgawesome :

The 370Z?

Thank you for the pictures! That black Cosmo is mmmmm, or should I say "Hmmmmmm"

9/27/17 12:25 a.m.

Yep, that yellow car behind the 510 is a 370Z Heritage Edition. I spent some time with one last week. Fun ride.

Info and stuff: https://www.nissanusa.com/sportscars/z-coupe/versions-specs/version.coupe-370z-heritage-edition-black.html

driver109x
driver109x HalfDork
9/27/17 2:19 a.m.

Awesome pics! I think that 787b is actually a 767b ... That's what I saw it says on the lower front of the car. I was hoping they would start it but I'm sure the city of Long Beach wouldn't be happy about it...laugh

9/27/17 7:30 a.m.
driver109x said:

Doh,  you're right. We'll fix.

Yeah, they remained quiet. Probably a good thing for the people of Long Beach.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/27/17 11:49 a.m.

That red 77 Skyline...hnnnnggh.

9/27/17 3:02 p.m.
Appleseed said:

That red 77 Skyline...hnnnnggh.

Yeah, for sure. There were a lot of cool cars there. Maybe it's because I got there two hours before the gates opened, but I felt like I had enough time to take in everything--like, it wasn't a rushed day. I'd totally go back. Hope everyone's enjoying the photos.

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
9/29/17 11:54 a.m.

thanks for this! The only vintage car shows we see in detroit are muscle cars, would love to visit one of these one day.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
9/29/17 12:48 p.m.

G nose on a land speed racer? As a z enthusiast, I cannot approve.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
9/29/17 1:27 p.m.

I don't think that Delica is an 85. It's awesome as well as all the other cars shown, but I don't believe the aero headlights started until 91. That Plymouth/Mitsubishi Arrow is awesome!!

9/29/17 4:05 p.m.
Mazdax605 said:

Hmmm, maybe the nose was updated? The entry sheet stuck on the Delica’s dash says 1985. It also notes that that's the original snorkel.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
9/29/17 6:22 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
Mazdax605 said:

Could it be some shenanigans going on with the owner registering it as an 85 to get past some draconian CA smog laws. I think that body style of Delica started in 86 anyway, so I highly doubt it's an 85. Also, non-sliding rear windows, but rather pop outs are a dead giveaway that it's a 91 or newer. I'd bet my bottom dollar it's not an 85.

HAO2TVuaefrL2jEGkn6ga5XIWNUDqO6W