Get instant digital access.

Cyclekarts: Simple, Fun Vehicles

No, this isn’t some miniature sports car from the 1920s. This lightweight racer was built just a couple of years ago. Welcome to the world of cyclekarts.

The cyclekart phenomenon is a reincarnation of the cyclecar enthusiasm from the 1920s, when a generation of racers were completely focused on lightweight, raw performance. Reader Steve Vinson and his 9-year-old son are hooked on it, and have some tips for others looking to get involved as well.

Why?

Ever felt the desire to go back to basics and experience driving in its most visceral form? These karts are an attempt to accomplish just that, providing a jump back into the extreme basics of driving.

What Is It?

Cyclekarts are extremely lightweight and usually sport a 6.5-horsepower Honda GX200 engine or something similar. A Comet Torque-A-Verter transfers power to the wheels, making this a clutch-free affair. Make no mistake, however: They can move. Steve says that max speed depends on gearing, but they can hit about 47 mph.

What Can It Do?

These aren’t just novelties built to attract oddball attention; there are clubs that regularly meet. Steve’s group, the Arizona chapter of the CycleKart Club, started out with just three karts in 2015 and now counts a dozen finished karts among its members.

“There is a very active group in the Pacific Northwest,” Steve adds. “They call themselves the Gittrevelle Grand Prix, and they hold an annual event called the Tieton Grand Prix each June in Tieton, Washington. They are expecting 30 karts at this year’s event.”

How to Get Started?

Getting involved means building a kart. “There really aren’t plans for the karts,” Steve explains. “Most builders follow what other builders have done and modify the frame size and body design to suit their own personal taste, and in most cases, the limits of their abilities. Pretty much all the karts that are built are designed from scratch and shaped to look similar to the chosen inspiration car.”

How Much?

Steve says it took about six months and $2500 for him and his son to build each of their karts.

Need More information?

There’s a helpful community online at cyclekartclub.com.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more articles.

Comments

8/1/17 4:24 p.m.

I would love to build one.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/1/17 4:35 p.m.

I wonder how well one would handle driving around in my hilly yard. Sort of a rallycross course - 1/3 tarmac 2/3 grass.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
8/2/17 1:17 p.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/2/17 1:23 p.m.

I would build one if ten of my neighbors did also.

8/2/17 1:26 p.m.

oh yeah

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/2/17 2:40 p.m.

One is on my build bucket list.

8/2/17 3:16 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: I would love to build one. How about a Challenge class. Drag, autocross, and concourse. It would be a hoot.

If a few of you built and brought some, I'm sure that we can find a way to accommodate them.

8/2/17 3:36 p.m.

I'm in. Any other takers?

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/2/17 3:45 p.m.
Driven5 wrote: It's a shame that there are no V-twins with low enough hp. I wonder if any exhaust trickery could make one of these cars sound even half as good as they look...Regardless, I'd love to build one just to find out.

There isn't anything you can't get for the gx200 - and for peanuts. You should hear my minibike

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
8/2/17 6:24 p.m.

There should be a challenge class for these

8/2/17 8:51 p.m.
8/2/17 8:59 p.m.

I have a gx390, and a welder. If someone wants to donate me some wheels, im game for this years challenge.....

stroker
stroker UltraDork
8/2/17 9:20 p.m.
Driven5 wrote: It's a shame that there are no V-twins with low enough hp.

No lawn mower engines?

freetors
freetors New Reader
8/2/17 9:33 p.m.

I've wanted to build one but I hate the one wheel drive/ one wheel brake chassis setup. You guys should price out the cost of all the parts to build one of these though. Buying new, just the engine and transmission cost about $1000. Also the "proper" 17" cyclekart wheels are becoming difficult to find cheaply. You will basically be buying all your wheels from a different seller so they will all be in various states of disrepair. There are some 14" pit bike wheels on ebay that would work well but not have quite the same look.

8/3/17 4:54 a.m.

New "Honda" 6.5 hp engine on sale right now for $99.

Seems this can be built really cheap.

Edit: Just found the Suzuki RM85 has a 17" front.

8/3/17 6:04 a.m.

and just because this is GRM and a forum and we all like to go fast.

There is this.

8/3/17 6:06 a.m.

In reply to FlightService:

Hmm....

Care to link? The wheels have always been the place i get stuck in my research. I think that i grasp what you are saying, but....

8/3/17 6:06 a.m.

I've got the engine, the Comet clutches are pretty cheap, and the rest of it I can dig out of the scrap bin and build.

Some research shows a set of wheels from Vintage Kart Co. is about $300. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

I may well build several of them, and the boys and I will race them.

8/3/17 6:31 a.m.
8/3/17 6:36 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

I can't find where Vintage Kart sells anything aside from complete kits. Do you have a link?

8/3/17 6:54 a.m.

According to the info, just email them. jack@vintagekartco.com They will send a price list. From what I've read, they will pretty much sell any part you want, up to and including a complete kart. I haven't contacted them yet.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/3/17 7:04 a.m.
FlightService wrote: New "Honda" 6.5 hp engine on sale right now for $99. Seems this can be built really cheap. From what I can tell the wheels are gonna be the hang up for the price. You are looking at the small competition motorcross bikes for any consistancy as the Honda CR80 (small wheel) had a 17" on the front. 16" and 19" are much more popular. Edit: Just found the Suzuki RM85 has a 17" front. Edit again: If you go to a 16" rim instead of the traditional 17", price drops wayyyy down as a 20" bicycle rim will work. (bicycle wheels size is actually the external tire dimension vs the rim dimension as quoted on motorcycles and cars)

80/85 bikes use 14r/16f and 17/19 on the big wheel, kx100 and ktm 105 versions

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/3/17 7:42 a.m.

I found some 4x4" hubs https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/azusa/2299 and thought it would be cool to use Miata spare tires and find a solid wheel car to scale off of the the wheel size. I don't know if it's very practical scale/size-wise, however.

Kreb
Kreb UltraDork
8/3/17 7:53 a.m.

In reply to RossD:

Holy unsprung weight and rotational mass, batman!

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/3/17 8:05 a.m.

In reply to Kreb:

Kreb
Kreb UltraDork
8/3/17 8:56 a.m.

In reply to RossD:

Hey I don't mean to be doctor negative at all. Please go for it. It also looks like the ultimate father/son/daughter thing. Build 2 so that you'll always have someone to race!

RE the 1-wheel drive thing, they make mini differentials, better brakes, bigger motors (duh) et cetera, but it's so easy to get into scope creep that you end up with something much more expensive, complicated and nobody with an equivalent vehicle to race. It seems that the winning formula is to save your self-expression for the body and stay with the specification for the working parts.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
8/3/17 9:00 a.m.
RossD wrote: In reply to Kreb: Let's be honest. It's a glorified go-kart that is more fashion than function. But I still want one!

These things are cool to look at and probably fun to make - As something to make with your kids it would be great. But... what the hell do you do with it when you are done building it? My lawn tractor seems about as much fun to drive except that it is actually useful for something. Maybe build a ramp and jump it thru a flaming hoop or something... that would be sweet.

They don't seem all that "back to basics" to me either. Spoke wheels? Fluid drives? A regular old rotax kart is lighter, simpler, faster and handles better so if it's really about racing - you get a racing kart. And go racing.

This is just about fashion. I don't have enough man bun and skinny jeans to rock one of these.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/3/17 9:15 a.m.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
8/3/17 9:22 a.m.
RossD wrote: They use a similar setup as a snowmobile; no fluids involved. You can have 'a style' without having it being skinny jeans and an ironic beard.

That's a relief because while I can buy the pants... even at 49 I can't really grow a beard.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
8/3/17 11:11 a.m.

Racing karts are are primarily for competition, cycle karts are primarily for fun. It just depends on what you're really looking to get out of your driving event experience.

The main thing possibly, but not necessarily, holding me back from eventually getting into cycle karts is the small number of available events to participate in each year...Even if I'm not that far from the biggest event in the country.

I do think a "Morgan 3-wheeler" powered by an appropriate output GY6 would be a great way to do it though.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/3/17 8:30 p.m.

8/4/17 5:32 a.m.
pimpm3 wrote: I think this could be a cool addition to the 2018 challenge. I have been looking for an excuse to make one.

We'd need to put a cap on the budget. But im game if rge magazine is.

8/4/17 8:12 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

How about a spec for the high dollar parts.

CVT clutch is $85 off Amazon. Linky.

HF 212 6.5hp engine. $120

Rather than using $500 worth of motorcycle wheels and tires, we use 12" trailer wheels and tires, $160 from Walmart or Jet.com

Spindles and hubs are another $119 from Etrailer.

Pretty much everything else can be home built for cheap.

8/7/17 8:20 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

I think their point is to make like the originals. The 17" wheels give them the original wheel size.

I like your 12" idea. Reminds me of early indy racers.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/7/17 8:47 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

The 12 inch trailer wheels make this more interesting to me. Still not sure you could get anyone to let you "compete" with them, but I'm starting to sort parts in my brain.

8/7/17 9:04 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

we have a GRM league we can make our own rules...

8/7/17 10:10 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

There is some discussion about the trailer wheels on the Cyclekart forums. From what I'm reading, there are no hard fast rules. More suggestions. If it's in the spirit of the sport, they are happy.

I'd also agree with FlightService. If we write the rules for a GRM event, it's pretty much a non issue.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/7/17 1:41 p.m.

It's kind of like a truck you know what it is when you see one.

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
8/7/17 1:59 p.m.
FlightService wrote: and just because this is GRM and a forum and we all like to go fast. There is this. https://www.youtube.com/embed/Fu8P9lrdcmk

LOVE that car! But it's really a Locost in drag. A LOT more complex than a cyclekart:

He even narrowed some aluminum wheels for the proper look...

More pictures here.

8/7/17 2:37 p.m.

Im game, but not for spec. Let creativity flow. Part of the appeal for me is the scrounging aspect. Like i scored a free honda gx390 with a slightly mangled crank output shaft. The 20" bicycle wheels i can get for cheap. Etc.

Maybe make an overall dimension rule, 1 wheel drive and brake, and be inspired by/replica of an actual vintage racer. Add in some safety regs and bobs your uncle!

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/7/17 3:51 p.m.

I have some ideas floating around my head...

8/7/17 5:31 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

I have a 500cc V-twin on the floor in my garage. I'm 100% certain someone on here has a liter bike engine laying around as well. I think that's a Pandora's box we don't necessarily want to open.

I'd probably have a spec for the engine at least, even if all it says is, single cylinder industrial engine and keep the motorcycle and race kart engines out of it. The idea being to keep the speeds down so we don't end up with a bunch of fully caged A-Mods and send GRM insurance into apoplexy.

I'm indifferent to the drive and other specs. I'll probably build something that can play with the Cyclekart guys, so I will probably follow their suggestions fairly closely.

My sons have also shown some interest, so we might be building 3 of them. I happen to have three 6.5hp engines and two CVT clutches that I can rob from other toys to use.

8/7/17 5:34 p.m.

I did find this while doing some internet prospecting.

8/7/17 6:06 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

Single cylinder industrial engine: definitely agree. Hadn't thought about literbikes and such.

How about a budget cap? Say $500. That should be enough for anyone, but low enough to require getting resourceful. Kinda like a 1/4 scale challenge/challenge car.

Id love to see someone come up with awd....

Would venue be dirt or asphalt? Or both? Id think dirt would limit rollover and safety risk due to lack of available grip.

And requiring a vintage style would allow for freedom but restriction. Sure, someone could clone can am cars. Or vintage indy. Or a 34 ford dirt track. Ir.....

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
8/7/17 6:31 p.m.

8/7/17 6:33 p.m.

In reply to fanfoy:

Yeah but that is an interesting evolution of the idea.

8/7/17 6:39 p.m.
Vigo wrote: I could be interested in this for next year.. assuming the recipe does go below well below the $2500 number that gets thrown around a lot. Considering i've built massively entertaining Challenge cars that i actually DD'd before and after for less, I think $500-700 in parts is more to my liking. Seems plausible..

I like the quarter scale, quarter budget idea. The only rules I would make hard (other than safety) is the engine specs. That prevents some one from showing up with a super bike engine and just blowing everything away.

As far as AWD, that would be interesting with one wheel power and one wheel brake.

8/7/17 6:49 p.m.

So, we have quarter scale, quarter budget, and prewar replicas.

Single cylinder industrial engine.

Do we want to stick with one wheel drive one wheel brake, or leave that open?

8/7/17 7:31 p.m.

I'd say replicate the break and drive system of what you are cloning. If you want to clone an all-wheel-drive monster go ahead. If you want to clone a vintage Indy car that had a peg leg go ahead. If you want to do an old dirt track special that had three wheel brakes go ahead. I'd say a minimum of one wheel drive one wheel break.

8/7/17 7:49 p.m.

That makes the rule list pretty simple.

1/4 Scale.

1/4 Budget.

Single cylinder industrial engine.

8/7/17 7:58 p.m.

Must have functional brakes and mimic a vintage race car.

Pretty simple.

Now to find fat tire bmx bike wheels....

8/7/17 8:11 p.m.

Are we going to track the budget like the Challenge cars. Fair market value for everything we already have on hand and receipts for everything bought?

8/7/17 8:13 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

I would. Keep it honest. Ish.

8/7/17 8:24 p.m.

Done.

Now I'm wondering if the GRM staff has any input. It is their event we would be crashing.

8/7/17 8:25 p.m.

Or a dirt lot and some extra cones.

This will definitely need to happen. Maybe not this year, as were 60 days or so to the challenge.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/7/17 8:30 p.m.

I might be able to play next year. I have the torque converter that didn't fit the rallykart and I still have the snowblower engine that my father in law gave me six or seven years ago that probably still doesn't run but did have compression the last I checked. I need to fix the welder.......get a few projects done....and see how you guys solve problems so I don't have to figure out this stuff myself.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/7/17 9:03 p.m.

I say go with half budget. The cars are bigger than quarter scale... $500 is pushing it budget wise.

Kreb
Kreb UltraDork
8/7/17 10:07 p.m.

Seems to me that if you don't have a pretty serious spec, what's to keep someone from simply showing up with a hopped up clone Kart with "vintage inspired" bodywork? One has to consider what key parameters will create some semblance of a level playing field. As I see it will be the motor, the cg, brakes and how much rubber you can put on the ground. Control those and you'll still have a lot of room for creativity, but the performance spread won't be a joke. Also - this should be the one challenge event that actually has w2w racing.

coexist
coexist Reader
8/8/17 1:09 a.m.

What era?

8/8/17 5:13 a.m.

In reply to coexist:

Pre WW2.

8/8/17 6:31 a.m.

I like the frame work so far, but I think we need to firm up the rules a bit more.

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
8/8/17 6:35 a.m.

Definetly firm up the rules.

Tire width and total weight limits would be a minimum.

8/8/17 6:37 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to coexist: Pre WW2.

That was the original intent. But I would not limit Builders creativity to that era

8/8/17 6:45 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

meh, I disagree. If you leave it open, there is nothing that stops someone from showing up with a quarter scale midget or a out of competitive date race kart.

I think designs based on pre-1939 cars would allow for plenty of creativity. Not to mention it would give the Classic Motorsports side guys and reason to look our way.

8/8/17 7:05 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
8/8/17 7:15 a.m.

Been lurking on this thread. I showed some pictures of these karts to Mrs. VCH and she loves 'em. The biggest little VCH is 3 years old and starting to get interested in cars. I think she'd love one of these to tool around the yard in.

The biggest hurdle I can't seem to get over mentally in building one of these is how to make the wheels, drive, and engine all...work. I have some vague theoretical knowledge of a chain drive, pulleys, and axle, etc but I have to confess, I have no idea how to make it work in practice. I mean, stupid stuff like, how does one mount the bearing? What bearing to use? What makes an "axle"? In my head, the easiest thing would be to have a solid shaft as an axle that both wheels fit onto and then drive either one or both wheels- make some sort of a "fixing" mechanism so either the left, right, or both wheels could be driven or freely rotate (so the kart could be pushed without being connected to the drive).

How does the sprocket locate on the axle, without moving side-to-side?

I'm just so used to a solid rear axle, like on a car...

I guess I need to see some pictures.

The steering and front end I can sort of figure out...trailer spindles are pretty easy to find.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/8/17 7:30 a.m.

Think less bespoke-parts, and more go-karts. http://azusaparts.com/

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
8/8/17 7:50 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse:

Check out the build threads here and here and also here

They will clarify a lot of your questions. But there are a lot of different ways of doing it. For example, a lot of people here think that they are all 1WD, but a lot are 2WD with a lot of different differential ideas.

8/8/17 8:52 a.m.

In reply to fanfoy:

one wheel drive was brought up as the cycle kart page stated they had to be 1wd

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
8/8/17 9:28 a.m.

In reply to FlightService:

That was originally, but people have tried a bunch of different setups.

8/8/17 11:26 a.m.

In reply to fanfoy:

Oh no, I think we are crossing wires here. I am saying the ONLY reason ANYONE here said anything about 1wd was because of the original guidelines. I don't think any of us would direct it that was on purpose for any other reason than the rules dictated it.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
8/8/17 12:02 p.m.

In reply to FlightService:

My understanding is that, at least currently, there are no "rules" to "dictate" anything. Just a few loose guidelines, which are by no means the same as rules, as well as what is little more than a "gentleman's agreement" on the basic performance parameters. It's pretty much build whatever you want as long as it fits the look, feel, and spirit of the event.

I would think if GRM'ers need a more defined set of rules, with the intent of making it more of a true racing competition, then the rules should be written to ensure traditional cycle karts would remain competitive. So things like weight penalties for more powerful engines and whatnot. Make it not at all advantageous to go bigger and better, thus keeping it 'dual purpose' build friendly and preventing too much performance creep..

stroker
stroker UltraDork
8/8/17 12:14 p.m.

Make it an Exhibition class only. Otherwise some Type A Bob Costas will want to win at all costs.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
8/8/17 12:19 p.m.

Are you suggesting that a Cyclekart class with no rules would very quickly become a funny looking Formula SAE?

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/8/17 12:40 p.m.

"It's pretty much build whatever you want as long as it fits the look, feel, and spirit of the event."

This is the best approach I think. Creativity and seeing what people come up with makes for good magazine copy...

8/8/17 1:04 p.m.

How about this, considering I don't think that anyone here has even built one yet: Build it, bring it and show it off. Like Jeremy seconded above, we all get the spirit of these karts.

8/8/17 3:04 p.m.

Because the CVTs are looking to cost as much if not more (depending on the model) of the HF engine.

Also, if we show up, can we run the drags quarter scale too?

8/8/17 3:05 p.m.

Right now im looking for wheels to build around. Then we'll see what kind of E36 M3 i can make up as i go.

Im thinking pre war indy clone. With front and rear suspension.

8/8/17 3:11 p.m.
FlightService wrote: Also, if we show up, can we run the drags quarter scale too?

I don't think we can promise any autocross or drag runs, but if they're there, let's check them out and have some fun.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
8/8/17 3:23 p.m.

8/8/17 3:26 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Alright. I'll commit to build at least one to bring to the 2018 Challenge. I've got too much on my plate to make it for 2017. I'll probably build them to Cyclekart.com suggested specs other than using trailer wheels and tires. There is another guy, that works for BMW in Spartanburg, that has a couple. Maybe we can get a SC club started to race them.

Something like this to start.

8/8/17 3:42 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

I will make that commitment as well.

Maybe not quite to cyclecart rules, due to material on hand already. But definitely to their intent. Ill bring it to the challenge as well next year.

And toyman, wanna race sometime next year?

8/8/17 3:54 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

I would imagine we could set up a test and tune at some point.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
8/8/17 3:57 p.m.

I'm gonna think joining this, I make no promises though. Seriously thinking about using the rear axle and some suspension parts off of this dead Kawasaki Bayou I have laying around. This would be my first ever semi major fab project so I'll have to do a lot of figuring on how or even if I would want to approach it. It may prove simpler to lean closer to the traditional recipe. I want both rear wheels driven though if only because it will be more fun when used at home, mostly on dirt.

EDIT:

Wondering if a mini Model T Speedster clone is close enough to what we're going for here. Biggest think I'd have to figure out then would be the wheels.

8/8/17 4:11 p.m.
Chadeux wrote: Sitting here thinking using an ATV as a donor is probably not in the spirit, but I might do it anyway.

I hate you

8/8/17 4:14 p.m.

Before we all get too crazy with the ideas.

We all agree on the spirit and the concept of the thing. (single cylinder ect)

Can we at least agree on a budget?

At least ball park?

I really like the quarter scale, quarter budget idea.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/8/17 4:15 p.m.

I am in for 2018 as well. I have something cool in mind that I have been thinking about before this all even came up...

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/8/17 4:19 p.m.

I vote for half budget. It is going to be next to impossible to leverage selling parts like a traditional challenge build.

Having to buy parts outright can make $500 disappear pretty quickly.

8/8/17 4:24 p.m.

Well, i dunno. 1k would make it easier for everyone, but 500 makes it financially viable for me....

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
8/8/17 4:38 p.m.

Are we actually racing or just all deciding to build something and haul it halfway across the country to take pictures of them together? I'm cool either way, mine is going to be more show that go even If I'm thinking about making it needlessly complex.

8/8/17 4:40 p.m.

In reply to Chadeux:

We can always blame it on GRM.

8/8/17 4:42 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to Chadeux: Racing. Even if we have to commandeer a parking lot somewhere and explain ourselves to the police. We can always blame it on GRM.

Damn skippy!

Anyone have any suggestions for what would look good coming off an el Camino?

Should we start a new thread?

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
8/8/17 4:42 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

Ok, so which one of us is showing up with a 2 stroke dirt bike engine using the excuse that a donor bike was cheaper than a tiller engine and is still technically a small single cylinder?

Also, do I get more cool points if I haul it down there on a tiny trailer behind the GTA?

8/8/17 4:44 p.m.

In reply to Chadeux:

Yes to more cool points. No to dirtbike...

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
8/8/17 4:46 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

8/8/17 4:48 p.m.

I'm going to shoot for less than $1000. I'll keep an approximate budget.

Spirit and concept works for me. Like was stated earlier, much like a truck, you will know one when you see it.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
8/8/17 4:56 p.m.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the ATV donor idea is way outside of the spirit. I will probably still rob smaller parts of it though.

8/8/17 5:07 p.m.

In reply to Chadeux:

I would by all means steal the steering, hubs, bearings, uprights, chain, sprockets, and any other small parts I thought I needed. There is no reason to make or buy something when you already have what is needed on hand.

8/8/17 5:29 p.m.

I say we blame on screwing up Majorie's deck and we are running for our lives.

8/8/17 5:30 p.m.
Chadeux wrote: In reply to Dusterbd13: Ok but what about a twin cylinder engine purely because I think it would look cool? (Seriously I've got an old Kohler twin cylinder generator engine here that I think would be pretty sweet sticking out of the sides of a tiny cowl)

I could care less how it looks, you could play with the exhaust on that thing to sound wicked

8/8/17 5:45 p.m.

Id be ok with a kohler twin.

Good luck finding a clutch or cvt rated for the torque though.

But do it!!!!

Ill go one better here: if we all get these things done by spring, i will find us a place to meet, race, and feed lunch. On me. Maybe even do it as a large scale meet and greet for the tri state area. (Nc,sc,tn) virginia would be allowed, but only if they bring fresh clams from the Chesapeake bay.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
8/8/17 5:48 p.m.
FlightService wrote: In that case, would it not being industrial engine/cvt powered be beyond the spirit of the event?

I think that a DIY Frazer-Nash 'chain-gang' style transmission would be perfect for the spirit of the event.

Admittedly, this the independent engine and CVT is one of the reasons I'd lean towards building a Morgan 3-wheeler using a GY6 (clone) all-in-one engine/CVT/swing-arm from a scooter and tuned to about the same 10-11 hp as the unencumbered GX200's in the cycle karts are claimed to make.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
8/8/17 6:00 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

What do I have to bring coming from Kentucky?

8/8/17 6:26 p.m.

In reply to Chadeux:

Mountain oysters

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
8/8/17 6:29 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

I'll see what I can do.

stevev
stevev New Reader
8/10/17 11:27 a.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

Depending on where you live there are growing groups all around the world. Here in Arizona we have two events scheduled over the next two months. Sept 2 and 3rd in Boulder City, NV and October 21 and 22nd in Victorville, CA. Both these events are at organized race tracks. The Nevada event will be at a paved 1/5 mile oval track, the SoCal event will be at a paved .7 mile race coarse. We are adding new events and finding new tracks all the time that are happy to have us come out and play.

Bow
Bow
8/10/17 11:49 p.m.

In reply to freetors :

So make it both wheel drive/live axle, and set it up correctly

8/14/17 6:04 a.m.

In reply to stevev:

are there particular rules that must be obeyed (and a link to said rules) or is it a spirit of the event type thing?

8/14/17 8:18 p.m.
8/14/17 8:23 p.m.
Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More