From the GRM Vault: Love Bugs

Our featured article this week comes from the dark ages, before we started creating digital versions of the magazine. So we had to march back to our archives, pick out the magazine and then dig out the scanner.

Editor’s note: John Doonan now serves as the director of Mazda Motorsports.

To zoom in, hold down the CTRL (or Command on a Mac) key and then hit the “+” key.

Want to read about the coolest cars in amateur motorsports? Get a year of Grassroots Motorsports for just $20. Subscribe now.

Love Bugs Love Bugs Love Bugs

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Volkswagen articles.

Comments

NoPermitNeeded
NoPermitNeeded Reader
9/15/16 7:05 p.m.

This is one of the coolest things I've ever read, especially 'cause they're beetles

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
9/15/16 7:24 p.m.

This article was in the very first issue of GRM that I ever bought.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
9/15/16 7:35 p.m.

What year did this appear?

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
9/15/16 8:39 p.m.

This is from the January 1998 issue

9/15/16 9:18 p.m.
Ed Higginbotham wrote: This is from the January 1998 issue

Yep. If you click the link to read the full article, you'll get the issue info.

Welcome to our vault.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
9/16/16 7:37 p.m.

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
9/16/16 10:21 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Interesting: I've been reading GRM longer than I've been driving RX-7s. I bought my first one in the spring of '98. (it was that, or a new 2.5RS, but dammit I wanted a four door and it was only available as a 2 door)

Pretty sure RX-7s were only available as 2 doors as well...

noddaz
noddaz SuperDork
9/19/16 8:08 p.m.

I liked that. Thank you.

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
9/19/16 9:28 p.m.

I have seen more and more bugs getting dusted off and getting back on the road the last few years including buses going 50 in the slow lane on I5. It used to irritate me.. now I'm charmed.

Durty
Durty New Reader
9/30/16 12:32 p.m.

Look at those racing porsches.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
10/1/16 1:01 p.m.

Okay, here's an idea. Why aren't we funding Civic class? Fifth and sixth gen Civics, power-to-weight equalization through ballast, 200TW tires, and upgrades limited to an oil cooler, coilovers, sway bars, pads, and discs. Including a cage, seat, harness, and fire extinguisher a 96 Sedan built to spec would be around $5k. On RacingJunk, the average Spec Miata is somewhere around $9500, so there very well could be a sizable market for a sort-of "Civic Spec."

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More