driftz28
driftz28 New Reader
10/6/19 8:30 p.m.

Ok guys now that I have officially registered for the event I guess I should show some of my build pics.

Its just a very rusty old 1970 Firebird I bought for parts and decided to build a challenge car with it. This is supposed to be a "Mad Max" ,"Death Race" themed build but not sure we will have time to finish all the extra ideas to complete the look. We are just trying to have funand looking forward to the event.

Let me know what you think.

Jonathan

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
10/6/19 8:59 p.m.

Sweet!

I'll stay tuned for more details.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
10/6/19 9:13 p.m.

Be aware that there were a LOT of one year only parts on '70 birds and many of them are in demand because they aren't reproduced so you may be able to recoup a lot of your budget. See a thread about these things here http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580525

I've built a number of early 2nd gen birds and make parts for them also www.lab-14.com

I do have some used original parts for them as well. Grills & such.

With as much rust as you had in the floors I'm impressed that the bottom of the core support is still in one piece.

packrat
packrat New Reader
10/6/19 10:50 p.m.

That looks awesome.  Excited to see it run!

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
10/6/19 10:55 p.m.

probably my new favorite car for this years challenge. very excited to see it in person!

driftz28
driftz28 New Reader
10/7/19 9:55 a.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

thanks for the info. I had no idea. My plan is to build a tube front end for it so I’m not planning on using any for the nice front bodywork that came with the car. 

Something sorta like this but not exactly. 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
10/7/19 10:46 a.m.

Well you won't need much of the original stuff will ya???? !!!!!  ahahaha  I'm no purist so your creation doesn't bother me a bit and I applaud your efforts but don't let the purists find out! Even things like correct # brake master cylinder bring the bucks. Those little plastic things at the bottom corners of the windshield are an easy to ship/sell Ebay item that isn't reproduced if yours were still intact. I got estimates on 3D scan/print but was thousands more than I could spend.

My 70 was an Esprit before I built it the first time into a sort of TA clone. Currently undergoing a long term  bare metal restoration with upgrades which is a lot more track oriented. Here's a couple pics of mine built over many years on less than yearly challenge budget.

[URL=https://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/scan%20pics/Scan_Pic0006.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/PopHotRodcover-1.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/Sebring%2009/Sebring10309054.jpg.html][/URL]

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/19 11:08 a.m.

Bonus points for the Formula hood. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
10/7/19 4:48 p.m.

Bare metal makes my pants fit funny. You’re doing the lord’s work. Looks badass!!!

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/7/19 6:44 p.m.

FANTASTIC!

driftz28
driftz28 New Reader
10/7/19 7:57 p.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

WOW nice bird!

I have a 73 Formula 400 4 speed car that will eventually get all the extra bits that I'm not using. It needs a cowl and drivers quarter but is far less rusty that the 70 im building for the challenge. I want to do it right so of course it get pushed to the back of the line of projects.

I'm actually not sure what little plastic things you are talking about. can you send me a picture to see if I have them?

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. We still have a lot to do so I hope we get it all done.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
10/7/19 8:55 p.m.

Thanks!

The '70 only plastic pieces look like the one below. The side pieces for the windshield trim are also '70 only with a screw hole on the bottom end of them the plastic piece also screws to.

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/Firebird/001_zpsrxncy3c3.jpg.html][/URL]

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/7/19 11:57 p.m.

If you guys run across any 70-76 that is mostly rust free, I’m in the market.  I want to build a really nice driver oit of one for the family.  I can do mechanical and have a very good paint and body guy, but I don’t do rust.  

I look forward to this too.

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo New Reader
10/8/19 8:10 a.m.
AnthonyGS said:

If you guys run across any 70-76 that is mostly rust free, I’m in the market.  I want to build a really nice driver oit of one for the family.  I can do mechanical and have a very good paint and body guy, but I don’t do rust.  

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-pontiac-firebird-trans-am/

I have a Cameo White 74 and love the shape of the 70 to 74 birds with the small/flat rear window.  I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/8/19 8:17 a.m.

This is a good way to introduce yourself. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/8/19 10:13 a.m.
pontiacstogo said:
AnthonyGS said:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-pontiac-firebird-trans-am/

I have a Cameo White 74 and love the shape of the 70 to 74 birds with the small/flat rear window.  I'll be watching this thread with interest.

I'm looking to get a nice fair driver or straight body and chassis that I can afford. I no longer shop bring a wheelbarrow full of cash.  Good for them but BaT has become the eBay of Barrett Jackson.  I would sell there, but will likely never buy there.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/8/19 11:39 a.m.

I approve, but make some tubes to go from the front of the subframe up to a plate you can make on the fender mount holes on the firewall, they're pretty noodly without their sheetmetal

driftz28
driftz28 New Reader
10/8/19 5:48 p.m.
Patrick said:

I approve, but make some tubes to go from the front of the subframe up to a plate you can make on the fender mount holes on the firewall, they're pretty noodly without their sheetmetal

Yes that’s definitely part of the plan. 

Thanks

driftz28
driftz28 New Reader
10/8/19 5:51 p.m.
Mndsm said:

This is a good way to introduce yourself. 

Thanks, I had the black VW Ghia vert back in 13. But I’ve been trying to get another car to the Challenge for years now. Really looking forward to it this year.

driftz28
driftz28 New Reader
10/12/19 7:26 p.m.

I finally got some time to work on the car today. Rad is in and the front supports are in. Still need to do the bumper and I have a cf front splitter that I need to make brackets for. FYI I picked up the splitter for $15 at a swap meet

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
10/17/19 12:40 p.m.

Ooooo its gonna look so good with that splitter! im stoked for this thing.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AWSUoY3xLDirD6oQF1G0JOhCRx7WOMVJsSaOdtITJhTpBcrSK9FL1olEJ9atrlb4