mrwillie
mrwillie HalfDork
5/29/13 2:01 p.m.

NMNA, but looks great in the pics and has lots of spares.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/3835803871.htm

EDIT: I didnt read the fine print well enough. Looks like the spare parts are not included in the list price.

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
5/29/13 2:38 p.m.

Page not found......

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Reader
5/29/13 2:49 p.m.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/3835803871.html

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/29/13 3:16 p.m.
mrwillie wrote: NMNA, but looks great in the pics and has lots of spares.

But the extra parts are extra $$$.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Reader
5/29/13 3:20 p.m.

A lot of those parts in the pic needs to be put back on the car first. I only see some engine parts, oil filters and wheels as being extras.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
5/29/13 4:26 p.m.
Sine_Qua_Non wrote: A lot of those parts in the pic needs to be put back on the car first. I only see some engine parts, oil filters and wheels as being extras.

...and it's not exactly implied the missing parts from the car shown on the floor are included for $1900.

Grey primer can hide a LOT of sins on an 1800. Really wish he'd left it as is. Still... not a bad price. The A/C components alone are worth a fair bit.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
5/29/13 7:35 p.m.

Depending on what kind of grey primer that is, it may not stop rust.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/13 7:37 p.m.

Cheap 1800s turn up fairly regularly, but you almost never see a cheap ES.

mrwillie
mrwillie HalfDork
5/29/13 8:04 p.m.

What's a better starting point for a fun daily? An 1800s/es or the newer 144/!$@:

corytate
corytate SuperDork
5/29/13 8:40 p.m.

mmmmmmm jesus chrysler I like it

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Reader
5/29/13 9:08 p.m.
corytate wrote: mmmmmmm jesus chrysler I like it

You do now until you meet the D-Jet and you will start calling it the Devil.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Reader
5/29/13 9:11 p.m.
mrwillie wrote: What's a better starting point for a fun daily? An 1800s/es or the newer 144/!$@:

1800 attention getter everywhere you go and the people will keep you busy with questions.

144 You will get some attention but not as much as the the 1800.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
5/30/13 7:20 a.m.
mrwillie wrote: What's a better starting point for a fun daily? An 1800s/es or the newer 144/!$@:

Depends. The coupe is a bit easier to find, although it's not like the ES is rare. If A/C is important, then the coupe has less overall interior volume (and a LOT less glass) so the system doesn't work as hard. Granted, I understand tinting the hatch and side glass about 30% helps the a/c and overall interior heat. The ES, does get hot, I know that for a fact. We've done a few multi-day vacations with the g/f's nice ES (no a/c) and when the sun comes out the car can be brutal to be in.

Some folks love the seats (made by Recaro) in the ES, but I personally can't stand them and my back will hurt like hell after driving the car for an hour or so.

The OE steering wheel is large for a reason - no p/s. Not too big a deal when moving, but the car can be a bitch to park sometimes. Plus, the OE tire was a 185R15 size that's difficult (expensive to find) but the very common 195/65-15 size is 99% match. However, the wider width adds to steering effort.

D-Jet can be a SOB sometimes (and boy do I know that right now...), but for the most part it's surprisingly reliable and most parts are still available from specialty 1800 vendors like irollmotors.com. However, it does not take to engine mods well, so if that is planned, also plan on either converting to carbs or Megasquirt. There's a guy selling "stealth" MS kits to replace the D-Jet, but it isn't cheap. Since it is an early port-injector type system, DIY MS conversions are quite doable as well.

The biggest thing about any 1800 is rust and that's what worries me most about this $1900 car. Without inspecting the car in person (or getting a LOT more pictures), it's impossible to say if that's a good price or not. It could very well need as much body work as the car I already have which looks a crap-load worse.

I don't know much about the 140 series cars other than they are similar to the later 1800E/ES models under the skin and are pretty much an evolution of the 122 cars.

mrwillie
mrwillie HalfDork
5/30/13 11:29 a.m.

In reply to Ian F:

I like the look of the 1800, but the 144 reminds me alot of the datsun 510 which I love. Rust scares the crap out of me and prevents me from even considering any of them, though. Repaired or needing proper repair, its always seemed very expensive to me.

I will prob just continue to look at older volvo 242 and 245 car. Ive got a guy that wants my 850 for his 144, but I will prob just pass on that too.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/30/13 12:05 p.m.
RogerB
RogerB HalfDork
5/30/13 1:20 p.m.

In reply to hobiercr:

Nice Find!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/13 1:33 p.m.
hobiercr wrote: Did someone say 144? 1968 144 S in FL "untouched for 30 years"