1 2
schumithecat
schumithecat Reader
10/3/17 10:42 a.m.

1992 Saab 9000 turbo track car, 5 speed manual trans. Stock 2.3 liter, 4 cyl. 16 valve engine and T25 turbo, factory intercooler and oil cooler. Around 1k miles on professionally rebuilt head and turbo, new suspension (Bilsteins, B&G springs, urethane control arm and sway bar bushings, new rubber bushings elsewhere, camber bolts, new brake lines), Sachs clutch kit. Lots of new parts (including pretty much all sensors and sending units and middle muffler). Gutted interior (no rear seats, no stereo, no carpet, no HVAC, deleted sunroof). Race seat, harness, extra gauges (oil temp & pressure, boost). Balance shafts disconnected (less smooth but more power). Motor mounts filled in (little more vibration but stiffer drivetrain). Battery relocated to rear. R-compound front tires and RS-4 front brake pads. One spare full size wheel (tire needs replacing). Second muffler replaced with custom pipe (not loud). Deleted traction control system (running 1991 non-TCS ECU with aftermarket chips). Has working lights, turn signals, power windows, and wipers (it is registered). I have a lot of time and money in this car after 5 years of ownership, but I recently got a project car and wife says one has to go.  Guesstimate it makes around 225 bhp. This is a great track car for someone who wants something different than the usual suspects. Car is light and fast. Clean title. $2,017 firm.

schumithecat
schumithecat Reader
10/10/17 12:14 p.m.

here is a link to some more photos in all its glory....

I drove it Sunday and this thing takes off like a cross between a raped ape and a scalded cat. 

someone buy this thing.

i will keep the driver side seat/3 pt. harness and move the passenger ones to driver side. 

http://s59.photobucket.com/user/schumicat/library/SAAB 

Justjim75
Justjim75 New Reader
10/10/17 1:51 p.m.

Is this the "challenge easy button"?  Do you know what else would have to be done for the race?  I'm a Volvo guy so the blue and gold flag theme would be a good paint scheme too!

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
10/10/17 11:52 p.m.

Berk Photobucket, every time I try to open your link it redirects to a fake "congratulations, winner!" page. Looks like a cool car from the thumbs. 

schumithecat
schumithecat Reader
10/11/17 9:32 a.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

you aren't going to win the cosmetic portion of the contest with this car. I have driven this car to lapping days at track that are 50 miles each way, so I think it could handle an autocross and drag race.  With a bigger turbo and tune, the engine and trans on these cars can make and handle huge power upgrades in the neighborhood of 400 bhp.  

re: photobucket, the link works fine for me but yeah photobucket has become a cesspool of ads in last few years. 

calteg
calteg Dork
10/11/17 9:47 a.m.

Any chance you'll be in Texas in the near future?

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/11/17 11:20 a.m.

Very cool car. I love saab turbos! BTW, I think this is the 'best' stock block SAAB ever built. 2.3l of displacement, but all the strong internals. Would be the right starting point for a 400-500-600-700 HP monster build.

schumithecat
schumithecat Reader
10/13/17 1:43 p.m.

In reply to calteg :

I go to Texas from time to time but either fly or take my daily driver. 

schumithecat
schumithecat Reader
10/21/17 8:00 a.m.

price drop $1,750. 

schumithecat
schumithecat Reader
11/2/17 11:49 a.m.

bump for price drop to $1,500.  this is an incredible deal for someone. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/4/17 12:41 p.m.

Yeah. Unbeatable deal. If you want to drive up to Chicago and back I'll trade you straight up for a 1990 Miata. But I really don't need another play Saab.

This thing would be awesome to take to a bmwcca track day and slay some e36 though.

Have you put it up on Saab forums?

calteg
calteg Dork
11/4/17 1:34 p.m.

level of want...rising...just don't know how I'd get it to Austin

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/4/17 3:28 p.m.

I was sitting in the French Quarter earlier reading about the price drop. Thankfully I made it out of town before giving in to my impulses. 

schumithecat
schumithecat Reader
11/7/17 4:04 p.m.

In reply to calteg

i drove a track car with no creature comforts from Denver to New Orleans once, covered 1,200 miles in one day. but that was when I was younger. 

i may just sell my other weekend car and keep this one. saw a guy selling a TD04 turbo (it came std. on the 9000 Aero) for $100... that is good for around another 50 bhp. 

calteg
calteg Dork
11/8/17 9:03 a.m.

If I had any way to get out there, I'd be all over this. Unfortunately I burned up all my PTO for the year already. Wanna meet me in East Texas?

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
11/9/17 2:58 p.m.

Does this car share anything with Volvos?

schumithecat
schumithecat Reader
11/10/17 12:09 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

only the fact that Swedish women find men driving both makes irresistible.  

schumithecat
schumithecat Reader
11/13/17 9:29 a.m.

In reply to calteg :

i am going to Lafayette for thanksgiving and could possibly drive this thing as far west as Lake Charles (which is very close to TX-LA border) and get a ride back east with my bro in law. but other than that i don't see myself taking this thing on long road trips, especially one way where i have no way back.  

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
11/13/17 10:14 a.m.

Lol, lug pattern 5x108?

schumithecat
schumithecat Reader
11/13/17 3:45 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

no the 9k used a 4 bolt pattern for most or all of its run.  They may have had a 5 bolt patter at the end of the run but i'm not sure about that. 

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
11/13/17 4:29 p.m.

If it had HVAC.....

schumithecat
schumithecat Reader
12/5/17 4:51 p.m.

one more bump before I park it behind the garage so it isn't in the way and put a tarp over it and drop the insurance on it.  I just replaced the fuel pump with a new one because I sensed it was getting weak and it was original (the fuel pump is 1 of 2 things on these cars that are known to fail, the other being the direct ignition module; I have 2 working spare DI modules).  I also remembered that I have a strut tower brace that was shipped from Europe but I couldn't get it to fit right (I didn't try that hard) that I will include with car. 

calteg
calteg Dork
12/6/17 10:46 a.m.

Let me see what Jan looks like. I'll be in FL in in Jan...maybe I fly into New Orleans on the way back and drive the rest of the way. I assume I'd chew up the r compounds on the drive back, but it is what it is

schumithecat
schumithecat Reader
12/7/17 11:45 a.m.

In reply to calteg :

ok. i imagine i'll still have it then. they are DOT-legal r-compounds with a tread pattern and I've driven to/from track with them and they should be ok, unless you have to drive through standing water or snow. 

schumithecat
schumithecat Reader
3/16/18 1:04 p.m.

a couple months ago I dropped the insurance on it and  parked it behind the garage, but I know my wife would love to get rid of it  (and I'd love to use sale proceeds to get new top and roll bar to finish my Miata) if anyone is interested. $1500 and I will throw in an uninstalled new set of racing front brake pads that were insanely expensive. no test drives because it isn't insured. I am going to start and run it once a month or so and keep the battery charged.  the best way to contact me is email at

schumithecat AT G MAIL DOT COM. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7ABRLfJtWxJ6j485ApSw7B5UOj3sKUhAuaqtJRkimO11rYrSanTl8gVqXcpkPrnA