XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/6/15 10:57 a.m.

I'm reposting from a Saab forum; this sounds like great potential for a challenge build!

Kijiji ad: 1999 9-3

He gave me some more info as well: It's mostly complete. The exhaust system has been scavenged, and the high-pressure steering hose needs replacement (I drove without power steering for six months, which wasn't really a problem; you really only need it in parking lots). And there's a plastic trim panel under the driver's side door which has been taken off.

When I got the car in '06, there were fair-sized rust spots on the doors, along the front of the hood, and along a weld seam on the inside of the door frame. I had a reputable paint shop fix those up good as new, and of those issues, only the hood reappeared. The hood on the car is actually one I scavenged from a guy who was parting out a 900, so it's paint doesn't quite match (it's a bit less glossy) but it doesn't have any rust. I still also have the original hood (and it's still has rust bubbles along the front edge).

There is, as I mentioned, a bit of a rust spot on the liftgate (under the spoiler, generally behind the wiper motor, but last time I checked this didn't penetrate to the inside of the sheet metal).

Also, since that photo was taken, spending months out in the remorseless summer sun has done a bit of a number on the paint clear coat. -_-

It's not exactly showroom condition, but the car still looks nice. The interior is good, too. Pity that the suspension bits got so worn out or I'm sure I'd still be driving it...

Sounds like it needs some work, - tuna-fab exhaust, loop the PS, get the suspension sorted, weld up your own subframe brace, and drive to FL in October!

Contact info is in the Kijiji ad.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/6/15 1:36 p.m.

$10?! I got ripped off!

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
8/6/15 2:18 p.m.

It's a part-out post. I don't think they will sell the car for $10!

XLR99
8/7/15 10:31 a.m.

LOL, never noticed the price. I just figured I'd share since it's got some potential and I hate seeing useable stuff scrapped. If no one grabs the whole car, I'll get some parts for my eventual T5 conversion.

bgkast
8/7/15 11:15 a.m.

There is a nice white SE in the Builder section of the Vancouver WA pick n pull for $1200. I'm slightly tempted.

XLR99
8/7/15 12:42 p.m.

Go for it! Although I think the SE was the V6? There's another 9-3 local to me that would make a good challenge car - theft recovery with trashed interior, popped ignition and no-start.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/7/15 12:45 p.m.

Wait, was that a reference to my Accord exhaust in there?

I fully support this plan.

bgkast
8/7/15 12:46 p.m.

Some may have had the V-6, but others came with the high output 2.0 Turbo. I could't pop the hood on this one to see.

Dejiko
Dejiko
8/7/15 4:14 p.m.

Hi, all. I'm the guy selling the car, so feel free to ask me any questions.

As far as pricing goes, CDN$800 would definitely take it off my hands. CDN$500 would at least be an offer to which I would give serious consideration and be inclined to accept. I really should get a firmer quote from the local euro-car scrappers; anything above that would be fair game. But if someone thinks they can do something useful with it, that's pretty cool and I'd be willing to support that.

Another couple of minor things which I've remembered: The driver's side keyhole has been jammed for some time. Also, the unlock remote doesn't currently unlock; I think the switch inside needs to be resoldered. Worst case scenario is you have to use the key to unlock the passenger side door and then hit the power door lock switch to unlock the driver's side. Also, the gas struts to hold up the hood have gotten too weak; you need to use a piece of 2x4 or something to prop up the hood when it's open. Finally, the power antenna gave up the ghost some time ago, but it can be manually raised and lowered... I have a replacement antenna mechanism but never installed it.

A note for any possible US buyers: The speedometer is in km/h only. It's a little bizarre; I've never seen any other vehicle which didn't either have both km/h and MPH or be able to switch between the two.

Basically, my mechanic had told me that the suspension was worn to the point of needing substantial work (I have a list at home). Bushings, struts, etc. His ballpark estimate was around $1500 CDN for all of that with labour, on top of also needing a new steering hose. So his recommendation was to retire this guy, and put the repair money towards getting a newer vehicle. So I now drive a 2006 9-2x (the Saabaru) which I got for CDN$5000. It's nice enough, but with the turbo and manual transmission, the 9-3 was definitely more fun to drive, had better fuel economy, more cargo space, generally better looks, etc. -_- I'll miss it, but one way or another, I'm determined to get it off of my driveway by the end of August.

Dejiko
Dejiko New Reader
8/7/15 4:19 p.m.

Also, thanks to XLR99 for letting me know that there might be interest in this forum. One of my co-workers once raced in "24 Hours of LeMons", and I thought that that was also a cool concept...

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/8/15 11:15 a.m.

As far as I know the SE should have a 2.0T with the turbo and inter cooler out of the Viggen/9-5 Aero. They are a good starting point for a 9-3 hotrod.

Dejiko,GLWS. Most of that stuff can be fixed with JY parts for not a lot of money.

Dejiko
Dejiko New Reader
8/8/15 1:44 p.m.

The mechanic's notes from the bill:

-Car unsafe for road use!! (highlighted)

Needs: -4 lower control arms -2 stab links -2 front outer tie rods -2 align adjusters -Rear pads -Rotors -2 Calipers -Brake leaking brake fluid! (highlighted) - possible master cylinder or braker divider.

@Rusted_Busted_Spit, I'm sure that with enough time and some money it would be possible to make this a roadworthy beast again, but my interest level and mechanical ability just isn't there. I can do my own oil changes and tire changes, but anything beyond that I'm perfectly willing to leave to someone who knows what they're doing. I've been going to the same mechanic for 18 years, and if he says that it's time to retire the car rather than pour money into repairs, I'm going to take that as credible advice. I drove it for 6.5 years, it doesn't owe me anything. But I'd love to see some bits of it helping other Saab owners keep their rides going. ^_^

XLR99
8/8/15 4:34 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: Wait, was that a reference to my Accord exhaust in there? I fully support this plan.

Yes, that was a compliment of the uber-GRM'ness of making an Accord exhaust (with cat) out of random truck parts and stuff.

Dejiko - glad you signed up here, it's very entertaining and you can learn a ton just by reading along. Check out the build threads forum for basically anything you could imagine, plus a few things you may not have considered possible before.

Dejiko
Dejiko New Reader
8/24/15 3:18 p.m.

I finally had some free time to try to get the car up and running, and alas, haven't had much success getting it going. I think the fuel pump might be not functioning; I recall that it had been very faintly audible in the past when the key was turned to the "on" position, but I'm not hearing anything now, even with my ear up against the gas tank.

So, off to the scrappers it's going to go. So far I've got people interested in the seats (picking up tonight), the hood, the direct ignition cassette (dropping by tonight to try to troubleshoot the not-starting), the driver-side exterior door handle, and possibly the A/C compressor. But I've only gotten cash in hand for the exhaust system, so everything else is still up for grabs.

XLR99, what parts might you be looking for for your T5 workup?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eZs2vuKnQacbaaDGuDBQi1Y5TTbrtPiz1Q7qIy1vA9c5mFYNeBe6ULgjA1OHQkYD