1999 Saturn SW2 - 222k miles - 1.9 DOHC - 5-speed Manual Transmission

ABS/TCS/PW/PDL/CC/AC

Shepherdsville, KY

Parts replaced since 10/14:

• Delrin Shift Bushing
  • Clutch/PP/TOB
  • Transmission Mount
  • Top Engine Mount - OE GM
  • Prothane engine torque strut inserts (both sides)
  • Moog rear swaybar endlinks
  • Exhaust flexpipe
  • Oil/Air filters
  • Spark Plugs
  • Front Control Arms (inc ball joints/bushings)
  • Panasonic head unit w/ aux input
  • There are probably more I'm forgetting. It has been a fairly comprehensive project.

I bought this car last year with a failing automatic transmission. I drove it home with the a/c blazing and cruise control set on 70. I then bought a nice '96 SL2 that ran on three cylinders. The two came together to create my current daily driver. I don't particularly want to part with it, but selling it would alleviate some current financial stress.

The automatic was swapped for the manual transmission, linkage, pedals, etc from the '96 SL2. The fifth gear assembly was replaced with one from a single cam Saturn, giving a deep overdrive for highway cruising. Due to this, I retained the original automatic ECU (and associated check engine light). This allows the cruise to work with the swapped fifth gear. I can elaborate for anyone who cares.

What's it need to be driven every day?

• Nothing. My wife and I have driven it nearly everywhere since I finished the swap last November.

What's it need to be perfect?

• Headliner recovered. I stripped the disgusting fabric and backing material but we never got around to recovering it. I'll reinstall the bare shell before the car leaves my possession.
  • The windshield has a crack on the bottom right corner. In KY, I should be able to have this replaced by my insurance company if you'd like. It never bothered me and doesn't leak.
  • The rear wiper assembly is off the car because the mounting method is dumb and broken. Junkyard replacement would fix it right up.
  • As I mentioned earlier, the CEL is on. There are four codes- each related to the missing automatic transmission. I can pull the codes to show this upon pickup. The proper MTX ECU would eliminate the light, but it'd also kill cruise due to the economy fifth gear swap. I will provide the original fifth gear assembly with the sale. Easily swapped if you're so-inclined.
  • It burns some oil, like all S-series seem to. This has slowed significantly since we've been using it daily and I've kept the oil changed. I check it every couple of weeks and add as needed. It doesn't leak anything onto the ground.
  • The paint has some wear as you'd expect for the age and mileage. It still cleans up well, as you can see below.
  • The rear power windows are inop. I've read online that there are a couple of commonly failed clips on the regulators that cause this. They were also broken in the parts car. The tint on the rear windows is scratched. Maybe related.

Here are some more photos that I took over the weekend after a fresh wash/dry/wax/interior cleaning. Please excuse the direct sunlight cell photos-- not my finest work.

It was someone's dinghy in a past life, obviously:

My ScanGaugeII is not included in the sale of the car, despite being in this photo:

The prone-to-rust rear door sills are clean:

I have a crate of spare parts that I'll include in the sale. Included in the lot is a pair of factory foglights, mounts, and wiring.

I've bought and sold a couple of cars with fellow GRMers and both parties have always come away happy. For that reason, I'm only listing it here for now. Questions? Comments? Gripes? Complaints? Respond here or shoot me a message.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
4/21/15 9:45 a.m.

I have a gripe.

List this a month ago to stop me from buying the hulk of an Accord that I ended up with.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
4/21/15 9:50 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: I have a gripe. List this a month ago to stop me from buying the hulk of an Accord that I ended up with.

Noted. As soon as I find the time machine, I'll address this first.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
4/21/15 10:02 a.m.

I wish I had the cash. Unfortunately, I am buried in projects that I can trade but nothing you sell any easier than me. Want a 98 GSXR 600?

PubBurgers
PubBurgers SuperDork
4/21/15 10:02 a.m.

If only the common craigslist ad was written 1/4 as good. Nice car, GLWS.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
4/21/15 10:06 a.m.
PubBurgers said: If only the common craigslist ad was written 1/4 as good. Nice car, GLWS.

That's why it isn't on CL yet. I'm really not sure its worth it to me to sell anything on there anymore.

singleslammer wrote: I wish I had the cash. Unfortunately, I am buried in projects that I can trade but nothing you sell any easier than me. Want a 98 GSXR 600?

No bikes. I'll consider the Insight in your avatar if it's a stick, though.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
4/21/15 10:26 a.m.

In reply to Powar:

It is and I would but I am going to need a pretty good chunk of change on top of the Saturn. It has 103K miles, fresh batteries (well 3 years old), and is overall pretty darn clean.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
4/21/15 10:27 a.m.
singleslammer wrote: In reply to Powar: It is and I would but I am going to need a pretty good chunk of change on top of the Saturn. It has 103K miles, fresh batteries (well 3 years old), and is overall pretty darn clean.

That's the opposite of what I'm shooting for. Thanks, though.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
4/21/15 10:57 a.m.

In reply to Powar:

Yeah, that is what I figured. Good luck.

Cooter
Cooter Reader
4/23/15 11:23 p.m.

Stop doing this.

Fortunately, I am vehicle rich right now (including 2 S series), and I can use that and the CEL (our Emissions test up here will flunk it, I'm afraid) as a reason not to buy this time.

But that 5 speed...

Cooter
Cooter Reader
4/23/15 11:26 p.m.

Oh, and BTW. Great seller. He'll even watch your wife's car for over a week while you go off gallivanting across the southwest in his Suburban after you buy it.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
4/24/15 7:12 a.m.
Cooter wrote: Oh, and BTW. Great seller. He'll even watch your wife's car for over a week while you go off gallivanting across the southwest in his Suburban after you buy it.

Ha! That I most certainly will. Blanche Devereaux, as we named his wife's Turbo Lebaron, enjoyed its stay in KY.

I don't even think of the CEL as an issue/selling point any more given our lack of inspections. I guess I could run to the junkyard and grab a manual ECU for someone in your situation.

Cooter
Cooter Reader
4/24/15 4:58 p.m.

It's funny, because Carrie calls it "Mr Car"- an mid 60s gay man who is more than a bit uppity.

Apparently he dresses up when out of town...

Powar
Powar SuperDork
5/4/15 9:24 a.m.

$1500. We no longer need this car.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
5/4/15 9:33 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: I have a gripe. List this a month ago to stop me from buying the hulk of an Accord that I ended up with.

Trade for an 88 Accord with its engine scattered all over my garage?

yeah...

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/4/15 11:10 a.m.

Much want! No moneys currently.... GLWS hopefully it's gone by the time I get my car sold.

old_
old_ Reader
5/4/15 12:40 p.m.

Wish you were closer

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
5/4/15 3:56 p.m.

Tempting it be.

Cooter
Cooter Reader
5/4/15 11:49 p.m.

Don't make me drive down there (again)

Just sold off my Maxivan, and the street in front of my house looks empty without it.

Cooter
Cooter Reader
5/4/15 11:52 p.m.

Crap.

It has a base plate, as well.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
5/5/15 8:01 a.m.

This morning's 23-mile jaunt to work:

Like most things, every time I drive it, I question selling it.

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/5/15 9:18 a.m.

Interested in a possible trade for a projecty Miata with hardtop?

Miata

I could bring it to you, if you're interested.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
5/5/15 9:39 a.m.
psteav wrote: Interested in a possible trade for a projecty Miata with hardtop? Miata I could bring it to you, if you're interested.

I already have one, but thank you for the offer.

This morning I was given the opportunity to buy back a piece of GRM/CMS/my history and I feel like I should do it. This money would allow me to do so.

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/5/15 10:21 a.m.

Gotcha. I may still be interested. My DD popped its headgasket last Friday and I'm wavering on whether I want to fix it. I love me some Saturn.

Cooter
Cooter Reader
5/5/15 12:12 p.m.

Will it throw any codes with a MTX CPU? Or will there just be an issue with cruise control?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zBDP6BkdqLy1MY3LUzuH8CzYowKZt6WW1KGkbbYIboWZ2dmEgSRcmDedpjQw9O0S