1 2
AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/13/19 7:31 p.m.

What about the front brakes?  I have Cobra front brakes from the Mustang, and guys are using them on DSMs.  Yes, it's true.  If I get those and claim the $500 recoup from the Mustang, can I use all the leftover parts I have for trades? 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/13/19 7:58 p.m.

If it was one part car sure. For example you bought a Cobra and use those brakes on your DSM.  Sold some stuff off it to zero it out.  That's cool. 

This isn't cool, you bought a Cobra and use those brakes on your DSM.  Sold some stuff off it to zero it off.  Then you bought a parts lot.  You sold a few of those unrelated parts to zero them out. Then you self trade FMV the rest of the unrelated parts to get cool swank ass parts for your DSM.

That make sense?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/19 8:12 p.m.
Stampie said:

If it was one part car sure. For example you bought a Cobra and use those brakes on your DSM.  Sold some stuff off it to zero it out.  That's cool. 

This isn't cool, you bought a Cobra and use those brakes on your DSM.  Sold some stuff off it to zero it off.  Then you bought a parts lot.  You sold a few of those unrelated parts to zero them out. Then you self trade FMV the rest of the unrelated parts to get cool swank ass parts for your DSM.

That make sense?

I think what Stampie is saying is “Zeroing out a parts lot by recouping the sale price does not mean that the leftovers have a FMV of $0.00.”

In other words, Each individual part trade has to have an equal (and almost certainly non-zero) FMV on both sides of the trade.

as an example from my life:  I part out a C4 and max out my recoup with a bunch of good parts leftover.  I self-trade my leftover 4L60E (FMV ~$300) for an Audi transaxle which has an FMV of $275 per car-part.com 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/14/19 7:43 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:
Stampie said:

That make sense?

I think what Stampie is saying is “Zeroing out a parts lot by recouping the sale price does not mean that the leftovers have a FMV of $0.00.”

In other words, Each individual part trade has to have an equal (and almost certainly non-zero) FMV on both sides of the trade.

as an example from my life:  I part out a C4 and max out my recoup with a bunch of good parts leftover.  I self-trade my leftover 4L60E (FMV ~$300) for an Audi transaxle which has an FMV of $275 per car-part.com 

Your example is exactly what I'm talking about.  I'm talking actual trade too not self trade.  Literally I trade leftover Mustang parts for DSM parts.  I have a full set of nice shocks I'd like to trade for DSM shocks....  I have C/C plates I'd like to trade for a rear sway bar or DSM C/C plates etc.  All are leftover from a $500 car plus parts recouped to zero.  I didn't employ and FMV items on the recoup.  

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/15/19 8:20 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

Use the brakes on your DSM then the $500 parts car is for this build. 

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
4/26/20 7:43 a.m.

So, with this...
"If you can prove that your specific VIN was originally sold as a completed vehicle, then a tube-frame would be allowed.  " - Tom

If you cannot do this, then its straight to exhibition.  "Based" on a production car, but a reproduction would be a kit or "Locost" build.  As such, Exhibition.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
4/26/20 8:59 a.m.

Correct. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
5/2/20 11:04 a.m.

My tube frame car will have the VIN clearly visible in three places....cheeky

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/2/20 5:00 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Make sure you grind down the welds around it. wink

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
5/13/20 5:27 p.m.

So are Zambians still allowed to be run?

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
5/16/20 7:16 p.m.

All the way to Victoria Falls.

1 2

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
bWGKpGGYsNKpbcn7JSIY60nVYdfqiEY79hWQ0E4kDHCZrfNDpmwa81ow7YqNCgCp