John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/11/19 11:26 a.m.

I have professed before that I think a cheap Chrysler Crossfire could give you a top 10 Challenge finish with little effort.  The downside for me is that I do not want to own a Crossfire...so I pass this onto someone else.  

On IAA, I found this Crossfire:  https://www.iaai.com/VehicleDetails?itemid=34182321&RowNumber=16&similarVehicleItemId=&isNext=&loadRecent=true

It is listed as a clean title model and is being offered at a Buy-it-now price of $2,100.  But after $2,100 there will be fees taking it to as high as $2,800.  However, at $2,100 the most the seller will get is $2,100.  This tells me the seller is happy enough at $2,100.  

In the auction photos, written on the windshield is "Discount Auto Sales"

A quick googling leads to this used car lot just a short distance from the IAA location .  The lot still has the listing up where they were asking $4,999 for the Crossfire.

The car auctions off this Thursday.  If i were really pursuing this car I would put in a bid of about $1,400 that with fees would be just under $2k.  My guess then is that the car would then not meet the sellers minimum.  I would then contact the lot directly and see if I could work a deal for them to pull their car back from IAA and then I could buy the car directly from them for a price higher than $1,400 but lower than $2k while avoiding the IAA fees.  

This is a clean title car.  My guess is the lot has had a hard time getting anyone to look at a manual trans Crossfire.  Now that the snow is flying they are probably facing either no one looking at the car for the next 6 months or the car getting wrecked on snowy roads by the next person to test drive the car.  Therefore, unload that Crossfire for what they have into it. 

Also, since this Crossfire does not have a chrome windshield surround it is then one of the stripper Crossfires that they came out with to try to incent sales when new.  This then has a cloth interior and a manual trans.  

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
11/11/19 6:35 p.m.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
11/11/19 6:38 p.m.

A Michael Scott theme could be funny, though.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/11/19 6:39 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I think you really need to buy it John - even if you don’t plan on keeping it. I actually think it would be a perfect car for a_florida_man, after he spent the last year on his Benz. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/11/19 7:01 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

Where did that SLK Benz finish on the overalls?  

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
11/11/19 7:05 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Behind a pair of sub-$2000 Jags.

And the Jaaaaag is s car you actually want to own after the Challenge.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/11/19 7:10 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:
John Welsh said:

you're right- I'm still in awe of the fact that there was two of them at challenge. I lust after late gen XJ jaguars. The last of the propers. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/11/19 8:22 p.m.

I've always kinda liked these cars and never new they came in a manual until I started hanging out here.

I think I'm going to look for one of these late next summer for a last minute gastropod entry.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
11/11/19 8:36 p.m.
Mndsm said:
Indy-Guy said:
John Welsh said:

you're right- I'm still in awe of the fact that there was two of them at challenge. I lust after late gen XJ jaguars. The last of the propers. 

There's a Huge value  in deprecated luxury performance cars right now. Patrick's AMG is another example.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5vEYsIvJhrosHlgCiYtBAiPM5Z1QkDI4iOWv25PCO0byrgNzFdV2JMjE22NZq96q