dan0
dan0 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/5/15 1:00 p.m.

Update: SOLD!!! But I still have spare parts, engine, ecu, wiring, trans, axles, window glass, hood, seats, if anyone needs any of that cheap.

2000 New Beetle 2.0l 5spd

203,xxx miles

check engine light on (catalytic converter)

ABS light intermittent

$1500 OBO with spares or negotiate price without (homebrew lift, homebrew 1-1/4" hitch, another engine, trans, axles, hood, wiper motor starter, etc.)

Thule rack has been sold!

Never really thought I would be selling this I thought I would drive it until the wheels fall off. They haven't yet so I guess that a good selling point too!

It has been in my family since new. My dad bought it new to replace his gas guzzling 1979 Lincoln Continental he had been daily driving. When the a/c compressor clutch stopped working it was the final straw. He bought a new 2012 Beetle and handed this down to me instead of getting a low trade in. I've had since then and put about 25,000 miles (now at 202,000).

In the time having it I had also purchased a "lifted" New Beetle from a friend and for a short time had this NB lifted. From that other NB which I stripped for parts I still do have a bunch of spares which will be included if wanted.

I'm selling it because I just picked up two other cars which will be new projects. While I envisioned keeping the beetle and doing something with it (cage and chopping the roof was the plan) the list of things I want to do to the other vehicles keeps growing. Plus I also have that 1979 Lincoln that my Dad used to drive to work on at some point too...

The beetle had been dealer serviced up until about 170k miles, had it's first timing belt at 107k so it should be done pretty soon. It is also on it's original clutch, no slippage but does engage high so it may be due soon as well. It has a bunch of scratches in various places a little rust at the rear of the rockers, and a couple dents on the p/s rocker and light on the quarter (Dad turned too sharply into the driveway and bumped the stone wall).

All the mechanical problems I can think of: Check engine light on - catalytic converter ABS light intermittent Starter has an after run chirp occasionally (been like it for two years+) spare starter included. Clutch nearing the end of it's life, not slipping yet. timing belt due one fog light out (I think I have a spare bulb somewhere). driver's seat bolster ripped (have spare seat of seats but in gray not black)

Figure it could make for a nice challenge car sell some stuff, maybe buy a VR6 donor car and swap it in for some more grunt. Or just as a cheap commuter / station car for someone.

KBB puts value in the $1561 (good) to $1161 (fair) range.

Fresh pictures coming up shortly.

TiggerWelder
TiggerWelder New Reader
1/6/15 5:50 a.m.

Very interested in more pictures, especially of the rust areas and also, where are you, I can be Capt. Obvious, but didn't see the location.

crxmike
crxmike New Reader
1/6/15 6:42 a.m.

Dan is in the Torrington, CT area.

dan0
1/6/15 8:32 a.m.

I'm at work today and not likely back before dark. Hopefully I can grab a couple pictures tomorrow and get them posted.

dan0
1/7/15 12:29 p.m.

Got some pictures today. It's really cold out...

Link to gallery: https://plus.google.com/photos/114017580031534265846/albums/6101667252402245345

dan0
1/8/15 11:00 a.m.

Water pump decided to quit it's job this morning. So it's either up for less or not available for a bit until I replace the water pump / timing belt.

dan0
1/29/15 8:00 a.m.

Bump...

The Beetle has been chilling in the garage the past couple weeks as I've worked on the other vehicles I have (Jeep heater core replacement).

I have purchased a timing belt / water pump kit and will be replacing it shortly on the New Beetle.

OutsideGroove
OutsideGroove New Reader
1/30/15 11:15 p.m.

Don't forget new motor mount bolts. Sounds dumb until you google "My engine fell out" and find a really large number of people that changed a timing belt and then a bit later had the mount bolts had snapped. Seems VW in their infinite wisdom used stretch to yield bolts.

dan0
2/8/15 9:56 p.m.

Timing belt will done this week, hoping to also get it sold this week as well... Bump

dan0
2/12/15 6:40 p.m.

One last push to get this sold! Timing belt, waterpump and thermostat all replaced this week. Make some offers please :)

dan0
2/17/15 2:41 p.m.

Bump! Please help me get this car sold.

J308
J308 HalfDork
2/17/15 3:16 p.m.

If these are anything like our 2000 Jetta, you can't swap a VR6/1.8T in easily, as the 2.0 does not share a body harness. I might be completely wrong on this, but it's why I didn't keep the Jetta for a track car.

dan0
2/17/15 4:50 p.m.

Yeah not the easiest car to swap, tight space but anything can be done right. If you wanted to swap, the 1.8t would probably be the easier swap.

dan0
3/9/15 2:12 p.m.

I'm going crazy trying to get rid of this car. If anyone has some interest make some offers, with or without extra parts.

markwemple
markwemple HalfDork
3/9/15 2:29 p.m.

What's your bottom dollar on it? (I know, I know, I hate it when someone does it to me who hasn't seen the car). I'm going to see who may be interested. I'm a ways from you, so to avoid any unnecessary travel.....

dan0
3/10/15 8:43 a.m.

$1000 car only. Negotiate separately for any of the extra parts based on interest.

markwemple
markwemple HalfDork
3/10/15 8:45 a.m.

Thanks! I'll spread the word.

dan0
3/26/15 11:34 a.m.

Long shot but if anyone in or near Rochester NY is interested in the car. I'm heading out that way this weekend.

dan0
3/30/15 1:26 p.m.

Gone! That was the hardest car selling experience I've had to deal with. Well it would have been easier if I took the $300, or the $600 offered, but it was still good enough of a car I couldn't. I got $1000 for it. But still have all the spares if anyone wants any of that pretty cheap.

markwemple
markwemple HalfDork
3/30/15 2:35 p.m.

Congratulations. Have no reason why it was so hard. If you were close I'd have bought it.

Cooter
Cooter Reader
3/30/15 7:56 p.m.

Same here. I didn't have enough free time for a bus trip out there.

dan0
3/30/15 8:35 p.m.

Still got parts left... Making a complete list tomorrow.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ql1A3qHbie4swt5tIrRQnqTpLkiU5Ddi2cmXnJSjz7jo4f5pKr22q6rIyhj7zS93