jstand
jstand HalfDork
4/13/17 11:55 a.m.

Posting this for my sister. The listing on CL says $2,200 but she will take $2,000 for it.

It has been parked since the fall, but was her daily driver up to then.

She has 2 separate listings for it, and one has a little more info, and the other has photos (yeah, typical CL)

ZX3 listing

2003 ZX3

jstand
jstand HalfDork
4/13/17 12:48 p.m.

If this should be in the Open Classified, could one of the moderators relocate it?

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
4/13/17 5:15 p.m.

That's a nice little commuter or autocross toy.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/13/17 7:47 p.m.

Dang it. MA. That's too far. This would be perfect for my son.

jstand
jstand HalfDork
4/13/17 7:50 p.m.

I forgot to mention,my father hauls cars between MA and FL. He's based in Bradenton.

Transportation would be easy to arrange and cost could be kept low if it on his normal route.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/13/17 8:04 p.m.

In reply to jstand:

I'll MAKE it on his normal route!

What's the basics of the good and bad?

jstand
jstand HalfDork
4/13/17 8:49 p.m.

I just called my sister and she took it off the road last May. She and her husband inherited a newer car so she took over his Civic since it was newer (2010?).

It been driven a few times since then (highway and local roads), but only just to circulate the fluids and keep the battery charged up.

The highlights are it was originally a FL car and has only seen a few New england winters, A/C works, and it drives smooth and straight.

As far as I know it doesn't use oil between changes. When she got it there was a leak, but it was cured by replacing the oil pressure sender that was leaking around the plastic.

If it wasn't three more years until my son get his license I would be buying it ( but that would also foil my plans to give him my Elantra and get something more fun for myself).

Here's the work it needs:

1) It will need tires. I'm not sure how thin they are, but I would plan on replacing them

2) Idle floats: IAC may need to be cleaned. The IAC was replaced because it was stalling on her when coming to a stop. Since it was replaced (aftermarket) it doesn't stall, but the idle floats some. I suspect the passages in the manifold may need to be cleaned. It's on the bottom of the intake so it's not exactly easy to get to.

3) I believe it needs stabilizer bar bushings, but I will have to look at it to confirm. She thinks the parts may be at my other sisters house, but isn't certain.

Then there are the unknowns.

1) Brakes: It stops fine and doesn't pull or grind, but I don't know how much life is left in the pads.

2) Trans and clutch: I believe it's the original clutch. It's nice and smooth, doesn't hop or slip. The trans shifts fine, no bangs grinding or clunks. The shifter has some play, but seems like normal wear.

3) I don't know when the timing belt was last replaced.

Minor items:

1) Hatch: Only opens with key, but never investigated why.

2) Hood release: cable was replaced and no issues opening hood, but the handles doesn't stay securely in dash so she tuck it up under dash until she needs to open the hood.

Overall a solid little car with normal wear and tear.

jstand
jstand HalfDork
4/15/17 9:08 a.m.

If anyone is interested it could be on its way south on Monday.

Otherwise the next time the truck will be heading to FL would be in a couple weeks

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/15/17 9:34 a.m.

In reply to jstand:

Would you be willing to ask your Dad what he'd charge for transport?

I'm in 31721, but would meet him at the nearest Interstate point (probably 1-75 Tifton).

jstand
jstand HalfDork
4/15/17 10:03 a.m.

I just checked with him and he normally runs 81 down to 95 when headed south, but he could cut across to 75.

He said $400 would be the transport cost, so $2,400 total for the Focus and delivery.

BTW- I'm not trying to rush you. He'll be doing FL to MA runs for the next several weeks. He'll be in MA tonight and heading back to FL after Easter. The exact timing of the runs varies depending on when the cars are ready.

SonofSVreX
SonofSVreX New Reader
4/16/17 11:16 a.m.

I am very interested :D (I'm SVreX's son if my username didn't make it obvious lol)

Do you know when his next trip down would be? I'm not ready right now, but I'll be ready with money in hand early next month if that works for you.

I can PM you my number to make communication a bit easier if you want :)

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/16/17 5:55 p.m.

The same car, prepped for ST, is much faster than my FiST. Lot's of fun for $3k

jstand
jstand HalfDork
4/16/17 6:25 p.m.

In reply to SonofSVreX:

He'll be making trips for the next several weeks, so we can hold off a few weeks if necessary.

The next trip will probably be a week from today or tomorrow. But that may be earlier than you are looking for, so we can skip that one and wait for the following one, which will put it into the first or second week of May.

I'll PM you my contact info and we can iron out details.

Joe

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b5NwF7LoUnbWS4GAhek0bleBx7gWRmwgYGphZZacTynkHyzZk4kL4yQK8Z2x3vLo