1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 36
Pattyo
Pattyo Reader
12/3/18 5:47 p.m.

This thread is getting pretty long and I'll admit I haven't read every post. Would it be possible to get a post that  explains the current rules for this subclass? Maybe a sticky that can be edited as needed? 

Also, I was under the I pressing there was a "like for like" replacement policy that would allow for PM to be done without hitting budget. If the goal is to keep things simple I think the fewer loopholes, addendums, amendments, and exemptions the better,

My feeling is, the class should be "run whatcha brung".  Buy the best car you can find for $2k or less, make it get to the event and back and win or lose have a good time. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/3/18 7:12 p.m.

In reply to Fladiver64 :

My first Challenge car was in 2004.  It was built by HS students. 

I had a suspension expert come in and teach a class, and the boys learned a lot about suspension. But the components we used were pricey. 

When we neared the end, we were over budget. We did some good shopping and found identical suspension components at a better price. We took the first set off the car, and installed the identical 2nd set, just to stay in budget. The boys learned. 

Ultimately, it’s an honor system. But honor has value. 

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
12/3/18 7:36 p.m.
Pattyo said:

My feeling is, the class should be "run whatcha brung".  Buy the best car you can find for $2k or less, make it get to the event and back and win or lose have a good time. 

This is the way I see it.  Fold in Seth’s description of being a teenager, and that’s exactly what I’ve been working on.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/3/18 8:14 p.m.

I like the no recoup for Gastropods, but have an idea for future efforts of students. Get a quote in writing from a shop on the maintenance items and the labor done by the students can offset the amount spent on parts for non performance related maintenance items. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/18 8:57 p.m.

You know my DD 2007 Saab 93 wagon I think would fit this class. Purchased for $500. New pads and rotors. A new set of contiprocontact tires a AGM battery and at most another hundred in misc repairs. I had to replace a rear LED tail light guts but that went dead after I purchased it so not sure how that would work.

So realistically by the rules I am really only in to it for about $900 or so including the taillight. If you included the tires and the brakes I would be at about $1,600. 

Am I doing the math right?  

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
12/3/18 9:07 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Sounds right to me, but the tires are free if the wear rating meets the Gastropods rules, and brake components can be changed for free according to the event rules. I can fit my supercharged Miata under $2K if I wanted to join the fun. There are lots of cars available for that kind of money, not that I've been looking on Craigslist or anything.......

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/4/18 5:51 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Yes. 

It would also fit the under $1K class

RedGT
RedGT Dork
12/4/18 8:11 a.m.

ah, supercharged miatas.  I really should have challenge-built mine, for the 'real' challenge.  It should have been capable of winning the autocross and running a 14 in the 1/4.  No idea what I would have done for the concours.  I would have had to spring for hoosiers, and sell about $500 worth of misc stuff off the car to be in budget, which was attainable by parting out everything i'd be pulling for super-serious weight savings anyway.  Just didn't want to do it to an otherwise nice car, which kinda led to my interest in the gastropod class.

What I really look forward to is having the time/driveway space to build a car that is solely and completely a challenge car.  Sadly the miata and then the blower fell into my lap at the complete wrong time for that.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
12/4/18 8:17 a.m.

Just for giggles and to satisfy my curiosity I went back and dug out the June 2001 issue of the magazine to reread the article on the first Challenge that was open to the readership. I was prompted to do this because this whole Gastropod thing is reminiscent of those early cars to me.  The entrants were broken into "Street" and "Race" classes based on equipment levels and tires. I'll quote from Mr. Wallens' article...."The Street class would be for any car that still retained its basic equipment, including windshield, headlights, major body panels and DOT-approved tires."   "Production based cars running racing slicks and those receiving radical engine swaps would also be put into the Race class."

Sounds like we're kinda coming full circle. smiley 

EDIT: Sorry, the original 1999 $1500 Challenge was open to readers, too.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
12/4/18 8:40 a.m.

In reply to RedGT :

My supercharged Miata ended up tied for second in the autocross, ran a 14.7 quarter, and scored 14.25 in the concourse. It was on Hoosier SM7 tires, so might have gone a bit quicker on new A7s. I also ran drag slicks that were well past their "Best before" date.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/4/18 8:47 a.m.
DeadSkunk said:

In reply to RedGT :

My supercharged Miata ended up tied for second in the autocross, ran a 14.7 quarter, and scored 14.25 in the concourse. It was on Hoosier SM7 tires, so might have gone a bit quicker on new A7s. I also ran drag slicks that were well past their "Best before" date.

I really hope my mutant miata will beat all thosr numbers.....

I wish i was in a position to restart for the gastropods. But im way too far along at this point, and the miata doesn't really fit either of the subclasses this year.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
12/4/18 8:58 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

You'll certainly do better at concourse and drag racing. Autocross will depend on what else shows up.

Fladiver64
Fladiver64 New Reader
12/4/18 6:08 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

The boys want to do some autox events since they can drive with a license or permit. My crew is 15 and 16 year olds.  I am sure with our mods we will be classed such that we are not competitive, but again we are more about having fun. If they get serious about a class or want to build anothsr challenge car, I am all for it.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
12/4/18 8:25 p.m.

I really like the idea of this class and if/when I make it to the challenge it's probably where I'll be competing.

Now, a question:  So, there is no recouping off cars for gastropod class but what if I pay a certain sum for a car + a significant stash of parts.  If I sell off some of those parts could I count, for gastropod class purposes, the starting value of the car as my purchase price minus what parts I've sold, or am I stuck with what I've paid for everything?

I guess I should have got a receipt from seller with separate amounts for the value of car and value of the spares.

The car in question is a certain blue Neon that not too long ago was rallycrossing in Ohio.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/4/18 8:41 p.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

I guess I should have got a receipt from seller with separate amounts for the value of car and value of the spares.

Answering your own question while asking the question is the best way to question. laugh

And remember, EVERYONE can come hang with the Gastropods. The only benefit to keeping class legal is to compete for the trophy that I haven't even designed much less built. This class is about playing with your friends and you can still do that even without a trophy. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/7/18 2:09 p.m.

So looked at the contiprocontact tires on the SAAB today and they have a tread ware rating of 500.  Guess I am just going to have to get a whole bunch of heat in them.  laugh

captdownshift
12/7/18 2:16 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Alibaba and having them stamp slicks with a 400TW is the answer. These cheap Chinese all seasons have amazing grip in the dry! 

stroker
stroker UltraDork
12/10/18 11:27 a.m.
Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
12/11/18 10:39 a.m.

Anybody got the cheap blauplunkt yet?

I see the price went down even further... 

mazdeuce - Seth
12/11/18 10:51 a.m.

In reply to Ranger50 :

I got a note that mine is at the store yesterday. Going to pick it up tomorrow. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/14/18 9:12 a.m.
AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/14/18 9:25 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Do it!

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
12/14/18 9:31 a.m.

Is there a hard rule on how much prep is allowed here? I'm guessing head work is out of the question.

mazdeuce - Seth
12/14/18 9:39 a.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

There is no limit on what shenanigans you get into. Headwork is fine. Motor swaps are fine. Anything you want to do and stay true to the idea of the class which is "street cars on street tires on a real $2k budget" is cool with me. This is still the Challenge and creativity within the box is appreciated by all. 

captdownshift
12/14/18 10:36 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

E36 M3, I can't save you from that, if it we're within 800 miles of me I'd be riding to get it.

Also I think that'd be potentially competitive to podium if you got a deatschwerkes fuel pump, massive injectors, ran corn syrup and purple crack. I'd be way tempted to go that route as opposed to gastro. 

1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 36

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
32m0rUGJcySk0Go33AuCpgSOWGyk7zw7aQD2shnTEkdr99rurUi3cYFFxOT96cFV