1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 36
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/21/18 12:27 p.m.

In reply to 128racecar :

SVreX is correct. And clever, and being clever is a big part of this. Looking forward to the Yugo, they're cool. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/21/18 9:35 p.m.

If anyone wants to do a Mustang this car is beautiful for it's age.  If you want to do a V8 swap, I have a lot of the parts you will need and can help, since I bought two V8 cars.  Honestly if this car would've been for sale a month ago, I would not have bought the 2nd V8 car.

https://forums.corral.net/forums/mustangs-sale-wanted-1994-1998/2484862-1994-mustang-v6-5-speed-original-%241200.html

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
12/22/18 6:45 p.m.

Mini Cooper in leavenworth KS aera that might be a good start.

I want to go get it but its not going to happen. If I can't have it maybe somebody here wants it.

I like the Gastropods idea, I just haven't finished reading all the posts yet.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/22/18 8:21 p.m.

In reply to 128racecar :

I drove my race Minivan 1000 miles to the event on nearly new all season tires. I competed on used slicks with used rims.

The all seasons were not in my budget because the all seasons did not compete. 

Your spare tire will also not be competing. 

B13Birk
B13Birk GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/24/18 7:46 p.m.

Im in. I wish I could say im bringing something unique but at this point it will be my miata!

RogerB
RogerB HalfDork
1/3/19 2:13 p.m.

This is not just limited to the $2019 Challenge, correct?  Assuming if it takes off, you'll do it at every challenge?

I've dreamed of doing the Challenge ever since I found out about it.  This sounds right up my alley, and if I were to enter, it's pretty much what I would be doing even without the Gastropod class.

Unfortunately, I'm not at a point financially or time wise to do it.  I'm probably at least a year or two away.  I am hoping to get back into AutoX again.  I've been gone about 9 years and I'm missing it.  We'll see.

mazdeuce - Seth
1/3/19 4:13 p.m.

In reply to RogerB :

The plan is to keep this, or an evolution of it, going for as long as it's entertaining. Watch this space and you'll have an opportunity to pick up a $2019 Gastropod t-shirt to keep you motivated. laugh

Fatherbrent
Fatherbrent New Reader
1/4/19 1:55 p.m.

I'm in for Gastropod class with an '06 Rabbit 4 door automatic that we repo'd from our son after it stopped running January of 2018 and was almost towed away by the city. Got it running after cleaning and drying the connection to the computer (conveniently located under the windshield wiper cowling where it is drenched every time it rains), and I'm sorting a few issues out, which includes a dumpster to throw all our son's crap out that was in the car (dirty underwear, cleats, a tanned deer skin, etc.). The left rear bumper was caved in but the plastic pushed back out and polished fairly well. Trying to deal with engine codes. Headliner was falling down as is the cloth on the driver's door, but those were pretty easy to fix. I'm looking forward to driving it down to Gainesville for the Challenge and taking it to Taco Bell! 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
1/5/19 12:47 p.m.
Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
1/6/19 12:00 p.m.

I was thinking of possible sub classes for the $2019 in general and had a thought, what if there are extra kudos or points for a tv / movie car? Like Knight rider, or one of the Smokey and the Bandit cop cars? Still has to fit Gastropod class. Obscure, weird or ugly even more points?

i.e. A Mini Cooper -- with an Italian Job paint scheme or a Knight Rider Firebird with lights panning back and forth.

Any feedback on the idea is welcome. I have no idea if people will like it or hate it.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/7/19 12:27 p.m.

I started turning wrenches on my Gastropod. Getting my hands dirty has kept the excitement level up.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/7/19 12:50 p.m.

I negotiated a deal for next years gastropod.....

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
1/8/19 9:25 a.m.
Bent-Valve said:

I was thinking of possible sub classes for the $2019 in general and had a thought, what if there are extra kudos or points for a tv / movie car? Like Knight rider, or one of the Smokey and the Bandit cop cars? Still has to fit Gastropod class. Obscure, weird or ugly even more points?

i.e. A Mini Cooper -- with an Italian Job paint scheme or a Knight Rider Firebird with lights panning back and forth.

Any feedback on the idea is welcome. I have no idea if people will like it or hate it.

Yet another subclass might complicate the event. That being said take comfort in the fact that a well-executed theme car my garnish you extra Concourse points whether you enter the regular challenge or the gastropod class.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/9/19 12:27 p.m.

Here's a question that hasn't been raised, and I've read the entire thread. I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I'd like to make sure.

Since the Gastropod class doesn't have recoup, it'll be hard to keep a build under a grand for the "I built this for less than half of $2000!" class. Can we use recoup to be in that class in the overall field?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/9/19 12:29 p.m.

In reply to rdcyclist :

My opinion... Choose. 

Its gonna get messy if you try to submit 2 different budgets. 

No recoup in Gpods. 

a_florida_man
a_florida_man GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/9/19 12:40 p.m.
SVreX said:

In reply to rdcyclist :

My opinion... Choose. 

No recoup in Gpods. 

What about money you find in the car?

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/9/19 12:42 p.m.
a_florida_man said:
SVreX said:

In reply to rdcyclist :

My opinion... Choose. 

No recoup in Gpods. 

consider that a gift to yourself? Enjoy the stick of gum you can now buy with your proceeds

Fladiver64
Fladiver64 Reader
1/9/19 1:51 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

In the other gpods thread, there was a $200 recoup for maintenance items, has that changed? I think I asked about adding gaskets to the allowable list, but didn't see an answer to it. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/9/19 3:43 p.m.
a_florida_man said:
SVreX said:

In reply to rdcyclist :

My opinion... Choose. 

No recoup in Gpods. 

Taco budget

mazdeuce - Seth
1/10/19 5:37 a.m.
Fladiver64 said:

In reply to SVreX :

In the other gpods thread, there was a $200 recoup for maintenance items, has that changed? I think I asked about adding gaskets to the allowable list, but didn't see an answer to it. 

This is still where we are. Sorry I missed your gasket question. I'd be ok adding gaskets for the retention of fluids. Let me go update the list. 

Fladiver64
Fladiver64 Reader
1/10/19 8:36 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

Should we have a Friday night taco eating contest? Lol, with 4 teenage boys on my team I'd need a lot more than the spare change found in the car. If tacos are added to the recoup list, I'll need a bigger budget! 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/12/19 1:27 a.m.

I admit....i see the under 2k Contour SVT and i wonder.....should i finish building my caprice....or should i just buy the contour and some tires.

Not sure which would be more fun driving 5k plus miles???????

mazdeuce - Seth
1/12/19 5:58 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Why not both? When you dabble in the world of sketchy transportation, a backup is always a good plan. laugh

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/12/19 6:48 a.m.

In reply to Fladiver64 :

while I'm sure GRM has already... ahem... Challenged the host hotel's plumbing with its presence.  I wonder if competition taco eating isn't a point beyond which it could recover?  I guess, the one silver lining, is that fortunately the dynamic portion of the event will be over by that point?  Someone probably should make sure that the Gastropod's are all parked on the downwind corner of the pavilion, though.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
1/12/19 10:43 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

No open flames area

1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 36

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YYeWsuJCWeLNKIX2BNU6WwwhCXilXPGzuZAkSkIbz0QpUbIBejvDMeG82XE7XMWJ