1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 36
drawtap8
drawtap8 None
1/12/19 12:40 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

So if I already own a crapcan that has a market value below $2000, can I participate?  And I assume you would accept KBB or something like that to appraise fair market value?  I'd love to participate and I've had this car and autocrossed it for years, but it really is a pile.  It is not "sorted" and I think it has at most 80 horsepower for the drags.  I 'd be hard-core and drive it there and back, it's a daily driver anyway.  And yes, it's a Miata, '94 M edition with 190K miles and plenty of dents.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/12/19 2:40 p.m.

In reply to drawtap8 :

Things like value aren't really up to me, but up to the editorial staff. Make a strong case and present your argument to them (a build thread is a good place to lay it all out) and then clean it up and come play with us. 

I just bought a ratty 94 with a hard top for slightly over Challenge price, so a rough soft top car could be argued to be below that for sure. 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/12/19 2:46 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to Antihero :

Why not both? When you dabble in the world of sketchy transportation, a backup is always a good plan. laugh

Hilariously my wife has thought of bringing her own car anyway so that's sort of like the plan.

She's more for an mx3 though

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/12/19 3:35 p.m.

The logistics of the Challenge are going to be a challenge with the kids in school. Trying to think of a way around that.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/12/19 3:48 p.m.

Depending on what trash I round up, I still have the 400$ Corolla. Its definitely a 400$ car. 

xflowgolf
xflowgolf SuperDork
1/14/19 11:59 a.m.

This sub-class is of great interest to me.  I'm strongly considering throwing my hat in the ring with my '88 VW Golf project that has been lingering for 2+ years.  I'll do the formal accounting, but it's legitimately in the sub $2K all in category, and I already have some 250+ TW tires on it that would be great as-is.  Just need to get it running, and this is a great reason to do it, with a group of people who sound like they're not taking this thing too seriously.  

As someone who has never gone to a $2000 challenge, it seems from the outside looking in that it's a riot, but that it's also not worth showing up without incredible fabrication/accounting/swap skills.  With this sub-group, something that restricts all the recouping, and is expecting complete "normal" cars, gives a great way for someone like to me to consider doing it that otherwise wouldn't.  

Keep it simple.  I wouldn't even mind if tires were part of the budget.  I wouldn't get carried away with exclusions, if you're buying belts and fluids and whatever, you're still spending the money.  Thumbs up for keeping this headed in the right direction, and I hope to participate this fall.  

mazdeuce - Seth
1/18/19 1:39 p.m.

I put a little bit of work in on the t-shirt design for this year. It doesn't look a whole lot different (other than the cones) but there is a big change in how it cuts out. Mrs. Deuce suggested a G on the helmet so I'm going to play with adding that on the next go round. The plan is to do a two color shirt, white snail, orange cones, and probably white words if we think it's necessary to identify the year. 

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/18/19 3:32 p.m.

Liking the direction

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/18/19 9:57 p.m.

I worked on my Gastropod today!

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
1/19/19 1:53 a.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

I worked on my Gastropod today!

slow and steady wins the race?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/19/19 6:17 a.m.

The cones in the tee shirt design are awesome!!

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
1/19/19 7:48 a.m.

Instesd of a G , put the last 2 Digit's of the Year , the First year being 19

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
1/19/19 10:06 a.m.

Maybe clutter up the design but don't you need a Christmas tree? cool

J/k

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
1/19/19 6:49 p.m.

Mazdeuce seth

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/19/19 8:36 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I put a little bit of work in on the t-shirt design for this year. It doesn't look a whole lot different (other than the cones) but there is a big change in how it cuts out. Mrs. Deuce suggested a G on the helmet so I'm going to play with adding that on the next go round. The plan is to do a two color shirt, white snail, orange cones, and probably white words if we think it's necessary to identify the year. 

I dig the design! 

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
1/20/19 2:03 p.m.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/20/19 3:44 p.m.

Like the logo; too bad my entry is ineligible.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
1/20/19 10:06 p.m.

Great design man!

ErikTheSwede
ErikTheSwede New Reader
1/23/19 6:06 p.m.

Well, this is the first time I've read this post. I have a 1998 GS400 that is my daily beater. I paid $1200 for it but it is leaking a ton of oil. I'm gonna pull the engine and reseal it and put a set of motor mounts in it. Has 352,000 miles and runs like a champ. The original owner put the OG L-tuned struts and springs in it with a set of TRD sportuno sway bars and a K&N intake on it. All said and done I should be in it for ~$1800. 

This could help me persuade my wife into coming and driving it.

mazdeuce - Seth
1/25/19 4:52 p.m.

In reply to ErikTheSwede :

I thought about this car today when I saw a remarkably clean GS400. It was parked next to a Tacoma of the same vintage and I had all sorts of thoughts. I think you should bring yours. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/19 7:55 a.m.

Friendly warning:

don’t ever challenge me to a taco eating contest 

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
1/27/19 7:22 p.m.

I picked up a Gastropod worthy E30 this weekend that I don't have a plan for yet.  With 20 pages in this thread so far, I have some reading to do.

a_florida_man
a_florida_man GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/3/19 6:59 p.m.

I had a part failure.

Can I claim the repair as exempt, both for the challenge and for the gastropod class?

Details here:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/i-sort-of-bought-a-car-that-sort-of-runs-a-1998-slk230-looks-like-a-good-deal-at-night/145344/page4/#post2673864

(Bottom half of Page 4)

Thanks!

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/4/19 9:27 a.m.

In reply to a_florida_man :

I vote yes. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/4/19 9:38 a.m.
Patrick said:

Friendly warning:

don’t ever challenge me to a taco eating contest 

You have been officially challenged. Do I need to bring a glove to slap you in the face with or does this suffice?

1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 36

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qiuZG9sOxJ92GxJHDoxhGXk9UMeWHGFF1dipIX2HFZ4LhUvDwIgpubu9Wv9pulHs