2/24/19 10:59 a.m.

*sigh*

I gotta make this happen this year..

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/24/19 11:05 a.m.

In reply to klodkrawler05 :

Yes!

And fair warning to everyone, this guy is pretty handy at developing cars and making them go around corners. And he's kind of rad to hang out with. laugh

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
2/24/19 11:22 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Yes! I bought them entirely in hopes of recouping some value towards the challenge but would gladly work a deal if it helps with someone else’s challenge budget. 2 tires are corded but I have a pair of Bridgestone re076 I was going to put on.

They’re 17x9.5 et19 17x8.5 et25 and bolt pattern 5x120 I’m not sure yet what the second pattern is but suspect 5x114.3. 

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/24/19 12:33 p.m.

In reply to bluej :

You're close enough that if you need a team to hop in with, let me know. 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/24/19 2:07 p.m.

So uh.....how much trouble would i have with a 97 BMW 740il thats cheap? 160k miles and i feel like the old saying that nothing is more expensive than a cheap german car might apply here....

EDIT: its not the one posted in this thread

Antihero
2/24/19 2:14 p.m.

I almost want to do something ridiculous like this if i cant get the Caprice done. Driving 5k miles with this would go perfectly fine, right?

https://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/d/priest-river-1958-volvo-b18-sport-model/6817954660.html

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/24/19 2:51 p.m.
Antihero said:

So uh.....how much trouble would i have with a 97 BMW 740il thats cheap? 160k miles and i feel like the old saying that nothing is more expensive than a cheap german car might apply here....

I dunno, Robbie managed to bring a '90 750iL (that means V12) for the Aristocrats back in 2015.  A '97 is another generation newer, and more electronic... but a_florida_man is working it out.  but, I don't know these cars well enough to identify a "weak spot".  ymmv  wink

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/19 2:52 p.m.

Bummer, those won’t work for me.  I’m going 9.5” front and having a spare pair of 9.5” widened to 11” for the rear.

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
2/24/19 3:00 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

BMW's of that era are mostly simple and reliable. Cooling systems are a liability if you don't have enough budget space to at least put a new waterpump on I'd be nervous attempting a long drive. Cam sensors can go bad and throw a variety of codes but are fairly cheap to replace. Other than that it's the usual leaking gaskets and such that german cars are so loved/notorious for. 

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
2/24/19 3:03 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I appreciate the kind words!

I've spent entirely too much time today researching tires. It seems like OLOA and GTA enthusiast class tires will be the hot choices perhaps. GTA does utilize 220tw so there is one tire they run (Achilles 123S) which won't work on a gastropod due to 220tw but the other usual suspects seem to be fine.

In no particular order the tires on my short list for gastropod contention are:

GT Radial Champiro SX2

Michelin P4S

Continental Extreme Contact Sport (and pray it rains)

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/24/19 4:24 p.m.
captdownshift said:

In reply to bluej :

Thanks! I've got some other life commitments happening late summer/early fall that are the main limiting factor.  If I can make it, it'll be in the b2300 i've been working on and would be driving down and back in. If nothing else, I'd want to hook up with some people for the drive. Between Nonack and some of the others in the area, I'm sure we'd get a pretty good caravan going. Maybe I can talk josh (Irish44j) into finally coming.

Antihero
2/24/19 4:40 p.m.

Hmm.....it has a new water pump.... 

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UberDork
2/24/19 6:07 p.m.
bluej said:
captdownshift said:

In reply to bluej :

Thanks! I've got some other life commitments happening late summer/early fall that are the main limiting factor.  If I can make it, it'll be in the b2300 i've been working on and would be driving down and back in. If nothing else, I'd want to hook up with some people for the drive. Between Nonack and some of the others in the area, I'm sure we'd get a pretty good caravan going. Maybe I can talk josh (Irish44j) into finally coming.

I was hoping to hitch my wagon to a train out of this neck of the woods as well.  Not sure how that will work just yet...

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/19 6:10 p.m.
Antihero said:

M62 timing chain guides are ready to E36 M3 the bed around 160k.  Tedious but not difficult job.  

captdownshift
2/24/19 7:56 p.m.

In reply to paranoid_android :

from Michigan? Let me know how that works out for you. 

nlevine
nlevine GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/25/19 2:11 p.m.

Going to have to start keeping track of how much I spend on my recently-purchased $1,000 Audi A4. Right now I’m just daily-driving it :-)

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
2/25/19 2:54 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

That is not a B18, that is a B16. Good old car, but marginal cooling system, only 3 main bearings and 6 volt electrics. May be 4 speed, but split windshield car was originally a 3 speed gearbox.

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UberDork
2/25/19 5:33 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift :

I really didn’t need to see that...

Chelsea is 20 minutes from my front door.

captdownshift
2/25/19 6:29 p.m.

The seller also has a 2.0L 5 spd probe. All the cars are manual transmission.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/25/19 7:19 p.m.
paranoid_android said:

doooo ittttt

mazdeuce - Seth
2/25/19 7:39 p.m.
nlevine said:

Going to have to start keeping track of how much I spend on my recently-purchased $1,000 Audi A4. Right now I’m just daily-driving it :-)

Absolutely!  Keep track, knock together a build book and come hang out. It'll be a good time. 

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
2/25/19 8:03 p.m.
bluej said:
paranoid_android said:

doooo ittttt

I second the motion, all those in favor say "eye".

captdownshift
2/26/19 6:59 a.m.

Aye

captdownshift
2/26/19 10:46 a.m.

As a bonus I'll be bringing another EGT gastropod 

mazdeuce - Seth
2/26/19 11:24 a.m.

I'm thinking two awards. The main award will be the highest scoring Gastropod when looking at the GRM score sheet. This absolves me of any and all responsibility for numbers. I like that. The second award I'd like to give will be something like "Spirit of the Gastropod Award" and that will be voted upon by everyone in the class. Who do you think really nailed the idea behind the class the best. Who "gets it". 

With those things in mind, I started on trophies today. I dug out a brake disk from the pile out back and made it stand up. Self supporting trophies are the best trophies. 

Then I abused the chunk I cut off with the angle grinder and the bench grinder. I'm looking to justify a TIG welder to weld on some eye stalks and weld the pieces together. Things will be cleaned up/painted/made prettier. Plenty of time. 

1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 36

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hVNhRLaUOXu5S4bT6KI58ykaoMfkgWxkwhda6gaKD9YgCfrjzH4fHSjsYLUmiW5j