1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 36
Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
4/29/19 8:58 p.m.

Thanks for the responses guys. The car is coming with a lot of little bits that I can easily sell off within the regular challenge recoup allowance for a cheap diy paint job. I was trying to figure out a way to play with the gastropods, and maybe the shoe polish or Mr Patrick's suggestion would make it possible. 

stroker
stroker UltraDork
4/30/19 7:49 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Don't overlook Sharpies...  :)

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/30/19 8:14 a.m.
captdownshift said:

Jag paint is thick, you'd be surprised how that might turn out after claybar, wetsanding, polish and ceramic

This would definitely be worth a shot. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/30/19 8:41 a.m.
stroker said:

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Don't overlook Sharpies...  :)

I cant tell you how many times i have used black sharpie to touch up black paint.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/30/19 8:45 a.m.

Seriously try wetsanding and polishing it first. It's free in the budget and you may end up with a car you'll love to own afterward.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
4/30/19 9:02 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael, stroker, AWSX1686 & mashinenbau:

I'll give these all a try once I see the car in person May 11th when I pick it up, but I'm not very optomistic based on this other pic that appears to show bare metal on the leading edge of the fender:

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/30/19 9:04 a.m.

Don't forget to stop in Atlanta on your drive back! You are welcome over if you need a rest or just want to see Datsaniti in person again.

Difdi Al-Jabal 68
Difdi Al-Jabal 68 New Reader
4/30/19 3:16 p.m.

If someone can talk this down a few hundred $ it has interesting potential but I think maybe avoid the concourse unless you dye those seats.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/d/redan-1990-geo-storm-gsi/6874273165.html

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
5/10/19 6:25 p.m.

Seth reminded me of the Gastropod game. Reading the rules makes me think the rules sound like my planned program of "we gonna be slow, so let's at least be cheap" so yeah, I think I'm in.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/10/19 7:53 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

Thst's awesome. It was great talking to you today and I'm glad you're planning on bringing the wagon and hanging out. Looking forward to it. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
5/18/19 5:54 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I sent you an email with a gastropod question.  (ttwo address)

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/18/19 10:57 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

I sent you a reply. Looking forward to a taco run in this big beautiful cat. laugh

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/18/19 11:20 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to Indy-Guy :

I sent you a reply. Looking forward to a taco run in this big beautiful cat. laugh

berkeley that dude, everyone chip in and we’ll make a taco bar Saturday during concours.  You can do a grocery run in the jaaaaaaag for stuff to make tacos.   

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/18/19 12:30 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I know someone with a bar. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
5/18/19 3:13 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I will be sure to both contribute to and partake in taco based festivities in the event I actually show up.

slowbird
slowbird
6/5/19 4:47 p.m.

Hey hi hello. Long-time lurker, first-time poster here.

Let's say hypothetically that I bought a Ford Probe GT with a salvage title from Copart because I'm an idiot.

1. I initially just planned for this to be a fun car to add to my rotation of "all these could be daily drivers but they're all broken right now" hoopties. Then I found out about the gastropod concept. Does this car fit the spirit of the gastropod?

2. Budget question. The winning bid was $875, there was a $295 buyer fee, a $39 internet bid fee, a $59 gate fee, $86.03 in sales tax, and $962.55 in vehicle shipping.

The rules state that "Costs to pick up your car(s) from the seller are exempt" so I hope that the $962.55 is exempt. (pick up, shipping, the wording could be ambiguous enough to confuse a simpleton like me)

Tax is also exempt according to the rules, so that leaves the various Copart fees. I assume that I need to include these in the budget, is that right?

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
6/5/19 10:30 p.m.

Sales tax and shipping don't count towards the budget.  Copart fees do count however.  

I entered a probe gt 2 years ago and it did great.  Can't wait to see another one in October.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
6/6/19 8:11 a.m.

Man, I was ready to pull the trigger on a Fox-body sedan with a slushbox for the full Gastropod experience, but my recent dental woes (see the "Tooth" thread) have pretty well blown away my discretionary budget for things like The Challenge.  

I has a sad. 

crying

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
6/6/19 12:20 p.m.

In reply to stroker :

Oh what could have been. A 4 door fox and a a Caprice wagon battling it out to see whose less slow... 

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
6/8/19 8:34 a.m.

Both of those are legal for the challenges other special class CAM.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
6/8/19 9:09 a.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

It was entirely possible my plan was to check every box on the entry form that my car fit into and see what happens. Not like a driver with no experience in an underpowered 4000lbs tank is actually going to win anything but it's whatever I guess.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus New Reader
6/18/19 4:34 p.m.

If anyone is near Maryland, I have a 1990 M/B 300E in excellent shape that basically just needs some exhaust work, a blower motor, and one window motor to be a perfect daily driver.  It would be a great gastropod.  The interior is mint except for a few small spots (drivers seat bolster, wood grain on dash), the handling is tight, new tires, etc etc.  And I just need to get rid of it so you can pretty much name your price.  Or trade me some cool stuff for my Mustang and/or future challenge car. 

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/1990-mercedes-300e-good-condition-challenge-price-baltimore-maryland/154953/page1/

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
7/1/19 8:42 a.m.
bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/1/19 10:42 a.m.

I may have figured out a way for my gastro truck to go this year, even though I can't. Discussions will continue. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
7/11/19 10:18 a.m.

Are Trades allowed in the Gastropod category?

Here's the example I'm thinking about:  My car came with a new (documented 3 week old) battery.  It's massive and heavy.  I'd like to replace it with a smaller and lighter lawn tractor battery to save weight.  Will you all except this?

1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 36

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mfdcdtli7ito1UluQMNXr0PkpYaiPo3EUt9TpyANtk1lT1YjzsythUb3ki8F4yOr