1 2
maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/20/20 3:59 p.m.

Who else is so pumped for the Challenge they can hardly pay attention at work? I can't wait to see who and what shows up. And how a topless Avalon handles the cones. Let's do this!!

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/20/20 4:10 p.m.

I am pretty anxious which really makes no sense because I'm not going. I know everyone is about to go dark with traveling and the generally busyness of the event. I have been living vicariously thru the last minute thrash, but won't know the outcomes until everything is over!

tb (minimally supportive)
tb (minimally supportive) GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/20/20 4:56 p.m.

I am somewhere in the middle of North Carolina and stopping for the day since 8 am approximately halfway there and hungry and sore.

I hope to have as good of a time as always this year. While I am not trying to win anything (as usual) I felt that it was important to show up and support the event.

Toyota towing a Toyota!

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
10/20/20 5:06 p.m.

In reply to gumby (Forum Supporter) :

Same! I wish I could be there, but I'm excited to see how all the vehicles perform.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/20/20 5:17 p.m.

This year is a weird nervous for me.  Normally I'm all freaked out thinking I'm not ready.  I know Michael has the car ready but I'm nervous because I'll be presenting a car that isn't mine.  I'm also afraid I'll figure out a new way to break it but I'm still gonna kick all the ass.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/20/20 5:17 p.m.

We have a v6 miata that should kick the Avalon's ass!!! cheeky

Wish I could be there to witness it.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
10/20/20 5:38 p.m.

I'm really excited to see how everyone does and I'm kinda bummed I won't be there. I keep saying to my wife, "I'll see you Sunday. I'm leaving for Florida now." 

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
10/20/20 5:42 p.m.

I am extremely anxious. The car runs and drives well. I drove it all over town today. I will probably even sleep tonight. This is all wrong!

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
10/20/20 6:24 p.m.

I'm anxious. Not about competition though. Or anything I can put my finger on really. Maybe because it's my first time?

Im excited to meet folks and see the cars. I'm excited to run autocross because it's something I've only done very little and traveling for it is so difficult. 

Im eager to put numbers to expectation in the drags. 

I'm grateful for all the help and support I've found in this community. Without it I would not be going, not this year anyway  

And I'm impatient to finish and get home and see my family. After this year, if I'm able to show up again it'll be with at least my wife tagging along. I'm not good at being away from them. 

Stoked though, overall. This has been and will continue to be a great adventure. 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
10/20/20 6:37 p.m.

I've been dreaming about the challenge since the first $1500 challenge back in 1999.  This year I finally get to go see it!  I'm incredibly excited.  My own challenge car won't be there this year; it needs a lot more work.  Fingers crossed for 2021 and a turbo!

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/20/20 6:56 p.m.

Feels weird not to be going, but my house has about 1/3 of a new roof so it's the smart thing to do on top of everything else

10/20/20 7:03 p.m.

I am genuinely curious to see who and what actually makes it. I havent looked at build threads or the entry list so that I can be surprised and impressed in the back parking lot.

It just occurred to me that the two cars I knew most about (barefoot and stampie) won't be there? Last minute substitutions should be interesting. 

For me this is the first time that I have towed a car and do not have to worry about breaking or getting back home so I am missing that element of risk that I actually enjoy...

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/20/20 8:00 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

We have a v6 miata that should kick the Avalon's ass!!! cheeky

Wish I could be there to witness it.

I sincerely hope that the car does well. It has the potential. But I'm also hoping to see the Avalon on 315s and it's hard to argue with 300ish horsies and that much tire. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
10/20/20 8:03 p.m.

I am super hyped. Last year was my first year and i took a lot of notes and lessons learned and put them into the car im bringing. Im really hoping i have what it takes to at least podium. 

Excited to be around a bunch of people with lmsimilar interest and see everyones handy work and learn more and take notes. 

I am bummed a lot of people i met who i think are all awesome wont be there, but i overall, im just as excited as last year and putting the finishing touches on the car now. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/20/20 8:05 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

I drove Michael's Miata about 20 yards in reverse so far.  In that 20 yards I felt something special about the car.  I felt like I was petting a lion that was purring at me but could turn on me at any minute.

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/20/20 8:12 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

I hope it's as good as duster wanted it to be when he dreampt up the crazy idea. I think it's a podium car. 
But the audacity of giant slicks on a chopped up Toyota prestige mobile speaks to me on primal levels. 

Also I like talking smack from the absolute back of the field. 

10/20/20 8:23 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

I'm curious to see what will break this time. With Stampie at the helm you never know! At least your battery will be tied down. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
10/20/20 8:35 p.m.

Haha, this is how i imagine most feel at the challenge lol

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/21/20 6:38 a.m.

I wish everyone that is attending good luck and hope to see lots of entertaining stories. Have fun.

John Brown (Forum Supporter)
John Brown (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/21/20 12:54 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

I hope it's as good as duster wanted it to be when he dreampt up the crazy idea. I think it's a podium car. 
But the audacity of giant slicks on a chopped up Toyota prestige mobile speaks to me on primal levels. 

Also I like talking smack from the absolute back of the field. 

That's not a a Toyota prestige mobile, THIS us a Toyota prestige mobile!

On the road 24 minutes ahead of schedule. 

10/21/20 4:41 p.m.

Where is everybody?

10/22/20 11:14 a.m.

Here we go!

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/22/20 11:17 a.m.

In reply to tb (minimally supportive) :

Ugh i miss that view 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
10/22/20 8:26 p.m.

We in hurrr

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
10/22/20 10:39 p.m.

Here....always here......you merely adopted the here.....

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nB9eF2TYbqTehnHvSIDyz2fJsGtWK93sOCU77SLQ4wOMfuXPE3EzIvJYlQpWMxf5