1 2
AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/19/18 11:00 a.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to AWSX1686 :

Factory weight is 1300 lbs. I looked because I'd want it lighter before Challenging it. 

I'd imagine a lot of that is the battery(ies) and electric motor. And whatever bracing they may have had to do to make it somewhat crash protected. Also, plywood is heavy. 

Buy it, gut it, do some tube framing, fiberglass, and a sport bike motor, and Boom! Awesomeness!

AWSX1686
1/19/18 11:05 a.m.

I REALLY, REALLY want someone to bring this to the challenge. 

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
1/19/18 11:11 a.m.

That car is a home brew bastardization of a Citicar. They came with a full aluminum tube frame and a plastic body. There was no plywood in the body and as far as I know there were roofs on all of the factory versions. Here are few pics with the skin removed:

and one with a body 

They were the best selling electric car in the US until the leaf came along. They had at least 300lbs of batteries so they could be very very light. Not sure you would want to trust the utility cart brakes or stock suspension if you wanted to go fast though.

AWSX1686
1/19/18 11:14 a.m.

Hmmm, you might need a wheelie bar too for the drags!

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/19/18 11:15 a.m.

In reply to MrJoshua :

I mind read that as "totally custom ... one of a kind ... Challenge glory".

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/19/18 11:40 a.m.

It looks very possible that it is a true CitiCar, but with a custom-made wood nose added on later. So it should still be Challenge-legal. 

I don't think it's a completely replicated car, just modified.

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/19/18 11:44 a.m.
Stampie said:
dherr said:

Wasn't plywood cars banned from future challenges?

I don't think plywood was banned just totally unsafe cars made of plywood. 

So that would not apply here, because this car is totally safe, especially with a 1000cc bike  engine smiley

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
1/19/18 11:46 a.m.
dherr said:
Stampie said:
dherr said:

Wasn't plywood cars banned from future challenges?

I don't think plywood was banned just totally unsafe cars made of plywood. 

So that would not apply here, because this car is totally safe, especially with a 1000cc bike  engine smiley

Exactly.  Im passing this to stampie. My wife threatened my manhood....

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/19/18 11:47 a.m.

Was the wood 'ban' after the totally awesome yet terrifying 917/10K replica?  

Isn't there a wheelbase limit for the drags?  This thing is only 60"  You could have the front wheels in front of the body like the bubble car from years ago.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
1/19/18 11:48 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

Was the wood 'ban' after the totally awesome yet terrifying 917/10K replica?  

Isn't there a wheelbase limit for the drags?  This thing is only 60"  You could have the front wheels in front of the body like the bubble car from years ago.

That is the NHRA stance but the Big Kahuna (Tim) stepped in years ago and said its OK.

Stampie
1/19/18 12:59 p.m.

I'm not going to share my plans because I still may do them one daybut the safety issues would be solved. If anyone is considering this be aware it doesn't meet the 1:1 rule from the factory by a long shot. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/19/18 1:41 p.m.
Stampie said:

I'm not going to share my plans because I still may do them one daybut the safety issues would be solved. If anyone is considering this be aware it doesn't meet the 1:1 rule from the factory by a long shot. 

Are your plans to drop this body on a shifter kart? because that wouldn't even be hard and would probably wipe the floor.

but, those totally aren't my plans...

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/19/18 1:45 p.m.
Stampie
1/19/18 1:53 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Not enough room to fit the twin turbo big block. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/18 3:03 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I hope it involves your caddy engine, even if that means mounting externally from the body/chassis. 

Stampie
1/19/18 4:22 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

That 472 will probably never see the Challenge. Just too much money in it. Now I do have a $125 Caddy 500 in pieces. I just need to buy a machine shop so I can do my own machining. 

cbonotto
cbonotto
3/9/19 5:56 p.m.

some of you are right it is plywood front and on top of that the roll cage over the driver has been cut out that is the main suport for the frame i have 7 of thes cars and i will not drive that car out of my driveway it is so unsafe and dangers 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/9/19 6:17 p.m.

In reply to cbonotto :

So are you the seller above or did you buy it?  A part of me wants to know if it's for sale.

cbonotto
cbonotto New Reader
3/10/19 8:40 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

no its not mine i seen it over a year ago for sale on ebay i have a club FLORIDA CITICAR EV CLUB hear in central fl if you are looking for one you can email me at christopherbonot@aol.com i do know of some for sale 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/11/19 6:44 a.m.

In reply to cbonotto :

I was hoping for a more basket case like the one mentioned so that I could do evil things to it.  Well hope for is loosely worded. The part of me that lined up 5 Challenge projects at a time was interested. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/11/19 7:06 a.m.

They definitely do not weigh 1000 lbs without the motor and batteries. 

When Mr Joshua brought his to the Challenge, he and I lifted it out of the trailer unassisted. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/11/19 7:08 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

It would be much safer to bring your 500 with a saddle mounted on top. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/11/19 7:13 a.m.
Stampie said:

How to make a Citicar safe:

- Install roll cage

- Install air bags

- Install anti-lock brakes

- Install harness

- Leave parked in bushes behind garage and drive a Civic  

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
4/15/19 3:29 p.m.

Kind of reminds me of the  Bezerkly.

I was trying to find the picture with it up on 2 wheels, but I think that's been taken off the site.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0uHzzFuBJoFCFvLtY51NWplUu5qaoPHUbuRNfr8mPkztp3YKMz2xf854Yyq4vfWq