1 2
HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
9/20/14 11:50 a.m.

NMNA.Found on Philly CL. Whould something like a T5 swap right into this? Are there junkyard swaps that can wake up the I6 or is a V8 swap the only way forward. I'm picturing this engine with all the smog crap removed, headers and side-draft Weber's, or some type of EFI.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/20/14 11:55 a.m.

gold. minus the engine/trans, plus a 292/t5

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
9/20/14 11:55 a.m.

Price seems high for what it is.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
9/20/14 12:00 p.m.

In reply to Flyin Mikey J: Its been listed for a while. I bet that if you showed up with a trailer, cash, and a good story you could take it away for under a grand.

TeamEvil
TeamEvil HalfDork
9/20/14 12:11 p.m.

Gold for $1,000. I like everything about it, especially the engine and trans set-up. Bulletproof around town/short commute car with a touch of style.

bentwrench
bentwrench HalfDork
9/20/14 1:14 p.m.

Even better if you swap an early head on the motor, the integral manifold head and wonky carb is the suck

or sneak a 292 with some Clifford bits under the hood.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/20/14 2:22 p.m.
TeamEvil wrote: *SNIP* car with a touch of style.

I don't think that has ever been said about a Camaro...

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/20/14 2:27 p.m.

Very rare car. The manual trans stuff should be worth good money, but not the trans itself. Sidedrafts and a 5speed would be very cool. If the body is soild could be a good buy. Chassis and body part are cheap and easy to get. Looks like the A/C is intact, bonus!

markwemple
markwemple Reader
9/20/14 2:53 p.m.

Its a 70's camaro. The pinnacle of unreliability.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/20/14 3:04 p.m.
markwemple wrote: Its a 70's camaro. The pinnacle of berkeleying awesome.

FTFY

unreliability out of a straight 6 and manual? troll

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/14 4:30 p.m.

I'd skip the engine swap and just enjoy it. You could build the E36 M3 out of this car and it would never be as good all around as something halfway modern. Just drive it.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
9/20/14 4:43 p.m.

I think this is the first time I've ever heard somebody call a stovebolt 6 and a saginaw 3 speed "unreliable"

TeamEvil
TeamEvil HalfDork
9/20/14 4:44 p.m.

"I don't think that has ever been said about a Camaro... "

Remember now, I'm on the look out for a 1971-73 Vega or an early four door Corvair. Tells you a lot right there.

I'm a sufferer of "Twisted Tastes."

markwemple
markwemple Reader
9/20/14 4:55 p.m.

They would regularly rank 150% below average on reliability. I knew someone who owned a v6 auto from new. Once it was a couple of years old, he was under the hood more than any brit car owner

markwemple
markwemple Reader
9/20/14 4:58 p.m.

...and unreliability comes from the entire car. I knew a woman who thought changing the starter and alternator annually on her 80 Camaro was routine maintenance.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/20/14 5:11 p.m.

It's already got the third pedal, SBC swap, slam, cage etc.

How's your body work skills?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
9/20/14 5:51 p.m.

And to answer your question, long long ago, the Chevy straight 6 was a somewhat popular hot rod engine(overshadowed by the ford flathead V8) back when such things were relevant.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/20/14 5:57 p.m.
markwemple wrote: They would regularly rank 150% below average on reliability. I knew someone who owned a v6 auto from new. Once it was a couple of years old, he was under the hood more than any brit car owner

While a fun story, has nothing in common with the car in question.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
9/20/14 6:41 p.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

It's also anecdotal.

I heard his cousin's, brother's dad had a 758.35HP mustang that ran on hydrogen.

markwemple
markwemple Reader
9/20/14 10:20 p.m.

The car I was referring to was a 78 Camaro.

Swank Force One wrote:
markwemple wrote: They would regularly rank 150% below average on reliability. I knew someone who owned a v6 auto from new. Once it was a couple of years old, he was under the hood more than any brit car owner
While a fun story, has nothing in common with the car in question.
Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
9/20/14 10:32 p.m.

You said V6.

No 78 Camaro had a V6, they had 250 I6.

78 Firebirds had the Buick 231 v6 as a base engine.

Those are two of the most reliable domestic engines available at the time.

Nothing from the late 70's from any domestic auto maker had anything resembling decent build quality.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
9/21/14 7:51 a.m.

Back in the day my wife bought a 1979 Berlinetta Camaro that had a 305cid. I wonder if the I6 had more horsepower than the V8?

markwemple
markwemple Reader
9/21/14 10:56 a.m.

My bad. I meant I6.

Trans_Maro wrote:

You said V6.

No 78 Camaro had a V6, they had 250 I6.

78 Firebirds had the Buick 231 v6 as a base engine.

Those are two of the most reliable domestic engines available at the time.

Nothing from the late 70's from any domestic auto maker had anything resembling decent build quality.

markwemple
markwemple Reader
9/21/14 10:57 a.m.

No. American hp was almost nonexistent at that time. It wasn't until the mid 80 until it started making a comeback.

Datsun310Guy wrote:

Back in the day my wife bought a 1979 Berlinetta Camaro that had a 305cid. I wonder if the I6 had more horsepower than the V8?

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
9/21/14 11:32 a.m.

Andy, if it's not a rot box that Camaro has plenty of potential. Not sure if a 292 will clear the stock hood in a F-body, but would give a different use for the overdone '69 Z28 style cowl hoods out there. A SBC 350 is the easy button. A 454 isn't much more difficult.

The door hinges are probably shot. I think they would wear out in weeks when those cars were new. Those are some heavy doors.

It's probably a Saginaw 3-speed. Don't know much about them, but I would be surprised if the mounting ears were different from a Muncie or a T-5. Would need to do a little homework but I suspect getting a T-5 to bolt up isn't going to require re-engineering the car. Just a bit of junkyard shopping.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KseNwhNNwNVIXY4Et4CLOAu8aEZWuv0ikju0a0OAZjOyl6W6nTcVe2tREMD4iz56