dan0
dan0 GRM+ Memberand None
3/6/13 10:05 p.m.

UPDATE I am thinking about parting out the MR2, but keeping engine and transaxle and a few other associated parts.

I purchased this with intentions to run it in the BABE Rally, but finances are pushing me away from being able to do so.

I bought it for $400 and spent $150 to trailer it back to my house. I had it registered for a few months and put on about 110 miles in short trips. It burns a good amount of oil on start up (James Bond smokescreen) and the last trip 10 minutes it did overheat, first time it had.

It was a lot of fun to drive and if my finances were better I would be keeping it.

Hopefully someone will want a project and be able to give me more than the junkyard will.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
3/6/13 10:38 p.m.

How much do you want for it, & how much rust and where is the rust? It lloks pretty good in the pics, but surely a $400 toyota from the eighties has a rust hole somewhere?

dan0
dan0 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/6/13 10:49 p.m.

front and rear trunks there are holes, and somewhere in the floor because the carpet was a little moist after running in the rain one day. and some around the fender arches.

in the last picture you can see the left taillight is cracked, the car rolled down the previous owners driveway and hit his GF's car, so the quarter is a little crunched.

I'd take an offer under the $400 I paid for it but more than what the junkyard offered me (which I'm not going to say other than it's obviously less than $400).

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
3/7/13 5:03 a.m.

Where in ct? Would it make it to the hartford area?

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
3/7/13 6:53 a.m.

I really shouldn't be reading this. I have a weak spot for MK1 MR2s, I've had 3 of them. As Fueled by Caffeine said, where in CT? Any signs it was the headgasket when it overheated (though would assume the worst)?

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
3/7/13 7:16 a.m.

Dan0 is good people, I sent him over here to spam you after noone wanted to run this on BABE. I figured surely someone here at GRM could find something fun to do with it ;)

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/7/13 8:57 a.m.

Ah, the $400 MR2. Where is the rust? EVERYWHERE!!!

But totally worth the effort to fix. Hell, if it were closer I'd give you $400 to have a parts car!

Matt B
Matt B Dork
3/7/13 9:08 a.m.

I hate to see those go to the junkyard. Hopefully somebody up there will grab it.

[ingrained vulture mode] If the unfortunate should happen I'd be interested in the eyelids, front valences, and lip spoiler. [/ingrained vulture mode]

Jerry
Jerry Reader
3/7/13 9:44 a.m.

Do not need another MK1 non-SC, do not need another MK1 non-SC, ...

Flynlow
Flynlow Reader
3/7/13 9:44 a.m.

Anyone headed south on 95 with an empty trailer?

My '85 is apart for a full rebuild and needs help. Happy to tip you in $$, fuel, or booze for the trouble!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
3/7/13 9:48 a.m.

Im very glad and also very upset that you are so far away from me...

dan0
3/7/13 9:51 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: Where in ct? Would it make it to the hartford area?

I'm in Torrington, so not TOO far from Hartford. I haven't really looked at it since the day it did over heat so I can't positively say it would make it to Hartford.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/7/13 9:56 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Im very glad and also very upset that you are so far away from me...

+1

I'm missing my '87....

dan0
4/3/13 8:58 a.m.

one last attempt, previous sale didn't work out due to vehicle pick up issues.

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
4/3/13 11:25 a.m.

Oh man, you don't happen to be going anywhere near Monticello NY this weekend, do you? Man, I love MR2s...

EDIT: Sigh...it's only 3.5 hours from me. E36 M3, I've got a fleet of cars at the house already, too many projects. But it's an MK1... So, care to share your rock bottom price?

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
4/3/13 11:34 a.m.

I'll ask around to some friends and see if anyone needs a MR2.

dan0
4/3/13 11:49 a.m.

Kinda going through Monticello this weekend, but don't have a vehicle able to tow it right now...

Jerry
Jerry Reader
4/4/13 8:15 a.m.
SilverFleet wrote: I'll ask around to some friends and see if anyone needs a MR2.

EVERYONE needs an MR2. There, fixed it for you.

dan0
4/15/13 7:45 p.m.

Thinking about parting, can't bring myself to call the junkyard but need some $$$.

Wheels are off of it right now, tires two are bald (one is completely fubar - hole in sidewall) and two tires are decent cooper a/s, guessing about 5/32+. I'll check tomorrow.

corytate
corytate SuperDork
4/15/13 8:51 p.m.
Flynlow wrote: Anyone headed south on 95 with an empty trailer? My '85 is apart for a full rebuild and needs help. Happy to tip you in $$, fuel, or booze for the trouble!

I have one in NC that you can have for cheeeeeeeeap. It's not as nice as this and it's partially disassembled, but it is almost 100% complete. I can't bring it with me when I move and I'm sure my buddy wants his garage back lol.
I'd just like someone to get it and do something with it, I can't get a title for it but maybe someone in another state would have better luck. and it's NOT stolen. lol

corytate
corytate SuperDork
4/15/13 8:51 p.m.

so you could get both of our cars, combine them with your 85, and have an awesome aw11. lol

Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
4/18/13 1:51 p.m.

A coworker is interested in your car. He emailed you a few times, but if you didn't get it, PM me your email address and I'll put you in contact with him.

Gotta save the CT MR2's.

dan0
4/18/13 1:52 p.m.

Some pictures of the wheels and the car as it sits now.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cao03AE8SUvyw5y8KkF8L5mWRMswmuIGgNpB541180C9B4jerKstU7LClyZ388ap