RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
12/3/19 2:20 a.m.

I've found an 88 Fiero, (Not sure if V6 or 4 ) seller will give me $50 to take it away, I have a Triumph GT6 shell at nearly free as it was a parts for another build.

Midi conversion challenge build?

Fiero platform is trashed in front, so weld or bolt the Fiero cradle to the TR frame rails and I'm still "Production chassis" legal?

Relocate, spare tire, battery, and fuel tank up front so that there is some weight on the front wheels, OK?

For decent appearance the hard part of this would be narrowing the Fiero track.

Suppose the front track could be increased but that means ugly front flares.

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
12/3/19 6:28 a.m.

Why would you run the Challenge with a spare tire?

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
12/3/19 10:01 a.m.

Unlike so many Challenge builds, I would hope to end up with something worth keeping and driving after the event.

Hoping it's a V6, seller has not replied to my email.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
12/3/19 10:05 a.m.

keep fiero suspension at stock width, split GT6 fenders and quarters front to rear along highest ridge, add horizontal width required to keep tires inside wheel arches, stitch together, win.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
12/3/19 10:31 a.m.

Yah, that makes it a Wide Body sort of thing.

Not my cup of tea but probably the simple answer except that the front suspension then has to be widened too.

May be moot if the seller does not respond, I sometimes despise Web ads.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
12/3/19 10:37 a.m.

'88 is the best year for Fiero. Do it.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
12/3/19 1:33 p.m.

With the simplicity of the Triumph frame widening the front suspension is as easy as splitting the crossmember and widening it and the steering rack the same amount. All of the suspension pickups and arms remain unmodified. The way an early GT6 nose was built the fender wideners could be super easy using 2 trim finishers per side, and it could be undone later. More difficult is the engine's intrusion into the cockpit, as the seats are too far back between the wheels.

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
12/3/19 9:52 p.m.

So thinking about this more, the Fiero has plastic body panels right?  Why not just use it's outer skin "bolted" to the GT6 frame?  That should be lighter than the GT6 body. Then just put an LS4 in the back for the win.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
12/4/19 1:46 a.m.

I have more than one GT6 shell, might have to stretch it out.

Or, I know where there's an old Bradley GT VW kit body that can probably be had for hauling it away, easy to stretch/widen as it's mostly nearly flat panels where it would matter.

Still no reply from the Fiero seller, I would even pay HIM for the car.

Have to go to his area on Saturday anyway so that would be too convenient.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
12/4/19 11:46 a.m.

How the hell do you find a car that the seller is willing to pay you for it...

Do it. Even if you end up having to give me $100, it's still an '88 Fiero.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
12/4/19 12:08 p.m.

Well, the back half of an 88 Fiero.

Wrecked in the front so might have to find another to splice on if I wanted to keep it a Fiero, which I really don't.

Did finally hear back from the seller, seems he sent a "Text", to my wall-phone!

Why does everyone assume that everyone else "Text"?

I've emailed him back so maybe I will be able to make it happen.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
12/4/19 12:58 p.m.

OK, unless the weather messes me up the Fiero is mine on Saturday.

'88, 4 cyl., 5-speed, front end damage.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
12/4/19 8:51 p.m.

So, it turns out the Bradley GT is $300.00, on a VW pan, with a title.

Maybe this will become a Bradley/Fiero instead of GT6/Fiero.

Easy to mod 'Glass as needed.

Still may end up with Triumph frame rails so that I may dump the Fiero unibody.

I have other uses for the VW parts.

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
12/4/19 8:53 p.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

That's a good deal.  I'm looking for a FL VW pan title and I'd pay that just for the title.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
12/5/19 1:56 a.m.

I've been looking at Bradley/VW/Fiero specs.

Even joined a Bradley forum to pick up more info.

Seems the Fiero engine/cradle should be "Relatively" simple to squeeze in place of the VW.

Had to post a question regards rules as I would say the Bradley IS a production body.

As I recall Bradley produced more examples, and were in production longer, than several other companies.

Thinking of DeLorean as just one example.

Heck, there are several clearly recognized "Production" cars of which fewer were made than most of us have fingers. wink

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
12/5/19 5:40 a.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

Bradley GTs were made as turn key cars which I would argue makes them production cars. I may be bias in this.  Might also be moot if you're using the VW pan which is no question production.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
12/6/19 10:28 p.m.

All that smoke out my ears getting the hang of the rules, wasted. wink

With Florida the only venue the cost of building the car is meaningless as the trip would be a few thousand dollars by itself. 

For the combined build and trip expense I could FINISH one of my other projects!

Really hankering for one more project that came up in discussion, and you know where it's located?

Florida! But one way shipping has to be cheaper and simpler than a two way trip in my '81 C30 dually.

So I'm getting the Fiero in the morning, still plan to get the Bradley, but their ultimate fates are currently unknown.

May flip one or both, may rebuild both.

I do need something more suitable for use as a commute car. smiley

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
12/7/19 8:43 p.m.

Craigslist, = never an honest ad. 

Got the Fiero, been sitting FOUR years, not the few months I had been lead to believe.

A stuck rear caliper made loading extra fun.

Was a nice car before the DA kid wrecked it the second day he had it.

I got the full set of stock wheels, and three hoopity 17's which I will be selling.

Pack-rats have nested in the engine compartment, so guaranteed to not run without some wiring.

Best way to fix it, if the engine does run, is probably to find a not-wrecked version and swap parts.

Not sure if the '88 suspension bolts on the earlier frames, or at what parts level that might be. 

Hoping it's just a sub-frame swap, unless I do the Bradley thing.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
12/7/19 9:19 p.m.

Uh-Oh, Fiero wheelbase is only 1.1" shorter than VW bug.

More research needed but this just might work.

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve HalfDork
12/8/19 8:53 a.m.

Trip cost is why I am looking at ways to build a project I can drive. My RX-8 would be the cheapest and smartest route right now, but I'm not always the smartest.

A Fiero / bug mashup would not be my first choice for a long trip, unless it was my entry. A small trailer for (4x4) could haul luggage and tools. The hitch comes off at the event to be budget neutral.

BTW you would be the uncontested long distance winner...  laugh

Our Preferred Partners
thWNLreqeVbWmZtuFXcz56xF5Ims9R7yHvSu81C1DtNdXgylpvJv3QLW1cQnoE3m