alex
alex SuperDork
10/26/10 8:31 p.m.

I've got a 460 Ford I'm half done rebuilding, but I'm trying to sell the Model A I planned to put it in, so I've got nowhere for it to go at the moment. Meantime, I could use a SBC for...well who knows? Maybe my truck?

I got the 460 for free from my old boss, and I was planning a low-buck, very mild rebuild. So, I tore it down, had the block hot tanked and checked by the BBF shop in town. It came back with a clean bill of health, so I rebuilt it at stock bore, with stock low-comp pistons (can you say booooost?) and rods, new rings, bearings, rod bolts, and all gaskets. I got as far as the rotating assembly before I bought a house and moved, so funds/time stalled the project. Heads are off, disassembled and need checking/rebuilding (motor originally came out from an oil starved cam, galled lobe and a bent pushrod, so I'd be sure to check the valves if you wanted to reuse them).

For the record, I was careful, clean and unhurried during this build - which was done in my kitchen. I had two BBF books I crosschecked constantly to make sure I was working with the right information.

This motor has tons of potential as a stump-pulling torque monster with only mild mods (cam, intake, carb, headers, port/polish), so if you're after big low-end power for cheap, this might be what you're looking for.

Car Craft built one with that basic recipe for a shootout that made 491 ft-lbs at 3400 RPM, and their dyno brake couldn't hold it below that.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0008_87_octane_ford_460/index.html

(EDIT: Dammit, let me try to find that article archived somewhere.)

I'd be interested in a straight trade for a 350 in a similar state of rebuild, only because I'd rather not spend another few hundred bucks on rebuild parts.

Or hell, I dunno. Whaddaya got?

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/26/10 8:33 p.m.

Big Beautiful Feminist??

Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
10/26/10 8:51 p.m.

Big Bad Ford

Unfortunately, the BBC is probably cheaper and putting out more. Then again I saw that on powerblock tv, the home of all that is right in the world. lol

alex
alex SuperDork
10/26/10 8:53 p.m.

I have no qualms about trading for a BBC. I figured the SBC would be more plentiful, but I certainly don't mind the extra cubes.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
10/27/10 10:39 a.m.

Location?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
10/27/10 5:27 p.m.

I have several SBC engines floating about, where are you located

alex
alex SuperDork
10/27/10 9:38 p.m.

I'm in St. Louis, smack in the middle.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
10/28/10 8:31 p.m.

distance could be the problem then, I am in Ohio, about 30 miles East of Ft Wayne IN

alex
alex SuperDork
10/31/10 4:38 p.m.

That's a fairly easy jaunt. I'll drive at least halfway if you're interested. Why not?

Whaddaya got?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tCXQVtYrMK2sShm9gxhnX17DF46mYrl6mzfek4bjL0PVQJcKS0qikICCVvyyxfY3