1 2 3
Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
9/4/20 12:40 p.m.
barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
9/4/20 1:24 p.m.

I'm not big on banquets anyway. Maybe the challenge one is great, but never having been I won't know what I'm missing anyway. And the now cheaper entry is great news for my broke ass. Party on. 

While I enjoy the atmosphere at the banquet, I understand that sometimes things are just not feasible. 

I still intend to be there and will register just as soon as I actually get my car running... I'll be satisfied to go with however things work out.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
9/4/20 5:11 p.m.

I understand if the banquet is not within the magazines comfort level and not financially reasonable with the low attendance, but I will truly miss recognizing those who win, seeing the slide show and hearing JG speak.  

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/4/20 5:14 p.m.

In reply to MrJoshua :

If it makes you feel better you can recognize me now.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
9/4/20 5:15 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

If I can't see your beard I'm not sure I will know who you are.

Stampie (FS)
9/4/20 5:21 p.m.

In reply to MrJoshua :

There's no hiding this beard with a mask.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Thank you Tom!

As a teammate, do I still need to register? Can I still go through the process just to buy a t-shirt like last year?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/4/20 8:55 p.m.

I'll admit, the banquet was fun last year. I will FURTHER admit that I do not believe the cost was justified in certain aspects. I absolutely don't blame that on grm in any way shape or form, and quite frankly, seeing that cost eliminated doesn't hurt my brain at all. I can socially distance with the best of them. 

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
9/5/20 12:42 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:
MrJoshua said:

You guys can of course host whatever you want, but I think you are going way overboard on making safety decisions for other adults who can think for themselves.

Sorry, but as event hosts we're legally obligated to make safety decisions for adults. This one gives people the freedom to think for themselves: After the awards ceremony you're free to visit a local buffet, or eat takeout in your hotel room. No judgement (or decision) either way on our part. You're all adults, and you should make the decisions you feel are appropriate.

Great reply. Sad to see he couldn't let it go at that.

Honestly, I don't care for some "rules" being taken to the extremes they are... But I applaud y'alls efforts to please as many as possible, since you'll never please everybody. Anybody that don't like it, ain't being forced to come!

I had hoped to make this year as my first as a spectator, but I guess that'll have to wait.

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
9/5/20 12:45 a.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie :

I'm sure I'm missing something. Just not sure what.

In reply to 03Panther :

No need to miss it, you just need to be on a team roster & there's plenty who will add you to h their list. If I had the DSM read you'd definitely be welcome. I could pick you up on the way there anyway if you want to go this year?

With this announcement,  my daughter has decided to wait to run the neon next year. She wants the whole experience,  and honestly she was the only reason I was willing to risk it this year.

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
9/5/20 9:09 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Nice offer! Thanks. If I came down, I’d bring the wife and prollly the RV. I thought about asking for a team offer... but I’m not sure I can take the heat with a breathing inhibitor on. I’m fortunate enough to not be that near other folks here at home. Will require a bit of thought. 

Thaknks for the thought. 

Sil80redtop
Sil80redtop HalfDork
9/5/20 6:04 p.m.

Does that mean that registration is $150 or $105?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
9/5/20 7:46 p.m.

In reply to Sil80redtop :

Registration has already been lowered from $195 to $150. See pricing details/register at 2000challenge.com

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
9/6/20 9:43 a.m.

I hate doing this because it is embarrassing and i'm to old to be doing embarrassing stuff. I have to apologize to Tom and Marjorie. I read Tom's original post in haste and didn't fully understand what was going on. The first chapter said the awards banquet was canceled for our safety and I interpreted it as there would be no awards ceremony at all. I was on my phone and rushed and posted an angry reply. I brought my misunderstanding of what was happening and my frustration with differences of opinion on what is safe into my replies. I will probably continue to differ in opinions with the staff on what can be done safely, but it is the magazines event and they have to hold it in a way they are comfortable with. I apologize for my combative replies. I understand and appreciate that the magazine is doing all they can to make the event live up to their desired safety levels while still providing something close enough to the Challenge we know and love to keep us satisfied. I am very glad that that the awards ceremony is still happening.

I have attended the event for many many years as a competitor and spectator. This is my favorite event and I hope it can happen this year. My children starting coming when my son was 3 years old and he is 15 this year hoping to enter a car of his own. My oldest daughter is 14 and hopes to bring a car next year. I plan to continue to use this event as my children's exposure to the joy of building your own car and competing with my 9 year old when she is of age. To say that this event is an important part of my life is a massive understatement. 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/6/20 9:59 a.m.

It's way less embarrassing to apologize when you realize what you did than let everyone else think you're "that guy"

yes

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
9/6/20 10:00 a.m.

In reply to MrJoshua :

That was a stand-up thing to do.

No one is ever too old to stand up and admit they made a mistake.  In fact, it is the hallmark of maturity.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
9/6/20 10:07 a.m.

In reply to MrJoshua :

Totally understand. This has been a tough year for everybody, and it's hard to know when the stress of it is going to bubble over.

Margie

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
9/6/20 11:19 a.m.

In reply to MrJoshua :

Nice job. No embarrassment needed!

Stampie (FS)
9/9/20 12:25 p.m.

I got my $90 GRM refund!  I think I'll spend it on Challenge parts.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
9/9/20 12:30 p.m.
03Panther said:

In reply to Snowdoggie :

I'm sure I'm missing something. Just not sure what.

It means you ain't getting fed. laugh

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
9/15/20 9:10 a.m.

So i am just now seeing this I just completed registration and i was still charged for the banquet, more so because i added 2 more tickets. I would assume that if its cancelled it wouldnt be an option to purchase. 

That being said is it safe to assume i will get that money refunded back?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/15/20 9:55 a.m.

In reply to surfshibby07 :

There are usually 2 dinners. One at the track on friday (between autox and drags) and the banquet saturday. Only the banquet is canceled this year, so is it the friday night dinner you are seeing maybe?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6ctKafDN2N7V2lNJ0jAEwgYznxY9H3fxnY5qgqZonSGn3wHO9DumqCwEuWMhvmZH