cghstang
cghstang HalfDork
8/21/12 6:47 a.m.

Link to my CL ad.

$1000 for GRM people, located in Fairborn, OH 45324.

This is my beater/dd/rallycross stuff hauler truck. I bought it in November 2010, drove it most of that winter, then about once a week till this March. Since then I have been driving it daily. It has all kinds of fun cheap truck issues but nothing that keeps me from driving it.

My fantasy is that someone would use it as the basis for a challenge-special and build a 2x scale locost type thing out of it. Barring that it makes a decent occasional stuff hauler.

I've averaged around 15mpg in it in the ~7k miles I've put on it. Odometer shows 290k miles but flashes an error. It adds 1 mile when you've only actually traveled 0.6 miles so the odometer is off and I don't know the true mileage. The previous owner claimed that the engine had been rebuilt at some point. All I've done with the engine is change the oil.

yamaha
yamaha HalfDork
8/21/12 11:30 a.m.

If you still have it at the end of the week, I might be VERY interested, just have to find out if I have to foot the bill for the sister's wiring harness being chewed up by a squirrel.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/22/12 8:25 a.m.

What will you use for your DD/beater/hauler now, Chris?

(btw, if you need to haul something small-ish you could use the Ranger ...)

cghstang
cghstang HalfDork
8/22/12 8:32 a.m.

We picked up an '01 Sentra SE (SR20 yo!) and will keep the Prizm and ZX2. I'll be putting a hitch on the ZX2 at least, possibly the Prizm too and getting a 4'x8' HF folding trailer for all our hauling needs.

No hits on the CL ad yet. Any tips?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/22/12 9:08 a.m.

Give less information...maybe something like:

Blue truck, runs, call.

yamaha
yamaha HalfDork
8/22/12 10:02 a.m.

still interested......can friday get here soon enough

loudes13
loudes13 New Reader
8/22/12 10:46 p.m.

300 I6 ?

If so, it will last forever!

cghstang
cghstang HalfDork
8/23/12 5:24 a.m.

Yep, it's the 300 inline six. With a five speed manual. Basically the miata of full size pickup trucks.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/23/12 8:11 a.m.

Make sure you call it a work truck in your craigslist ad.

yamaha
yamaha HalfDork
8/23/12 2:29 p.m.

<<<<<------bad news, shelled out $500 today to insurance as deductible on the sister's car......wiring harness replacement was somewhere close to $1900.

As for selling tips, definitely call it a work truck, and claim milage is not actual. That said, otherwise, focus on the bonuses.....and don't mention that the PO claimed the engine had been rebuilt.

"92 f150 work truck, runs good, drives good, not original miles, great cheap work truck!!!!!!!"

That should be all that you need to say, let the truck do the talking at that point.

cghstang
cghstang HalfDork
8/23/12 2:34 p.m.

I've been slowly paring down the ad little by little. I have yet to receive a single inquiry from CL, even after adding my phone number. Apparently there are plenty of cheap guzzlers on the market right now.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi HalfDork
8/23/12 7:29 p.m.

I always jack the price up when I don't get any hits on Craigslist; usually works to get lookers then you can accept their offer of your original asking price

cghstang
cghstang HalfDork
9/5/12 7:08 a.m.

Bumping this up.

Current CL listing: link

If it doesn't sell, it'll be headed to the local Goodwill auction yard in another week or two.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
9/5/12 8:13 a.m.

Wow, you still have the truck, I thought it would be gone by now.
How many CL cities do you have the truck listed up on?
The last two vehicles that I had up on CL were listed simultaneously in 4 CL cities, each about an hour away. Each time my buyers and shoppers all came from a listing in a distant city, not my own CL city.
For you in Dayton, I would be sure to have it listed in Lima as well as Richmond, IN. These smaller cities will have less busy CL's with less competition and being that both are rather rural, F150's will be popular. Be sure to have it listed in Cincinnati as well to get the big population.

cghstang
cghstang HalfDork
9/5/12 8:18 a.m.

I thought it would be gone by now too.

I haven't listed it on other cities yet. Will do that now.

The $750 B13 SE-R that I drove for a year or two was listed in Cincy only but actually located in my town, about 4 miles away.

yamaha
yamaha HalfDork
9/5/12 10:10 a.m.

Might as well list it in Indy as well

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/5/12 8:25 p.m.

If only you knew someone who was looking for something to tow with.

It's a 4.9 manual transmission F-150. Change the oil, coolant, and ball joints on a regular basis, and they run basically forever.

cghstang
cghstang HalfDork
9/6/12 5:18 a.m.

As of last night, you can add rear brake lines to that list

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/6/12 10:10 a.m.

You don't have any spare vice grips to pinch off the lines? Rear brakes don't do anything anyway.

cghstang
cghstang HalfDork
9/14/12 5:33 p.m.

I fixed the brake line, one person came to look at it last week, and today a guy came down from Cleveland with a trailer to buy it.

He's going to cut it in half behind the cab, set the front end on an existing I beam frame and make an adapter for the driveshaft to power his Hammer Mill asphalt crusher. Apparently he's done this before, once with an exposed engine/transmission (which died an early death due to elemental exposure) and most recently with a 4.3 Chevrolet truck.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5BvS6hdWLHzDzbVnvDk92tXJOFrQCNJucjZhDZBk4VXSNZ1q29jpKr9KwHaqqUAk