Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/18/14 9:36 a.m.

NMNA other than fighting HARD to keep from buying this myself.

http://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/4672384884.html

I emailed the seller and he confirmed that it comes with both the hard top pictured and the soft top. He said that the 'transmission acts like it's stuck in two gears', but otherwise it drives great with no problems. Those statements seem somewhat contradictory, but at this price and the hard top there to be sold off to recoup a fair bit of budget this just SCREAMS 'Challenge Bait'.

As much as I would love to buy it, the voice of reason (otherwise known as my wife...) pointed out that a) of the four cars we have at the moment only half are drivable and even the drivable ones have work I need to get to on them and b) I already HAVE a vehicle- my El Camino- that is ostensibly being built as a Challenge competitor and that it is also still in the 'project' phase (read: is not mobile under its own power- though this hopefully will change this afternoon). She is unfortunately correct- but it doesn't keep me from wishing I could buy it and bring it to the Challenge!

KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
9/18/14 10:05 a.m.

Email sent. Thanks, I needed another project. If I get this you're gonna have to come help "challengify" it.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
9/18/14 10:14 a.m.

Bollocks. I also sent a message. Or two.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/14 10:24 a.m.

BTW, those transmissions can get stuck in reverse and another gear. There's a relatively easy field fix involving a screwdriver and the reverse switch to pop it out of reverse.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
9/18/14 10:31 a.m.

Would I be hurting anyone's butt if I was to go pick this up today?

Ashyukun
9/18/14 10:31 a.m.

Well, if it ends up reasonably nearby I'll definitely be interested in helping with getting it ready for the Challenge. :)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/14 10:38 a.m.

You guys need to get off the internets and go get this car. It's got a thousand dollar top on it!

Powar
Powar SuperDork
9/18/14 10:47 a.m.

Just off the phone with the seller. He said someone is coming to look at it right now (KyAllroad? I hope its a GRMer.) He's going to let me know if the guy doesn't buy it. I'm ready to head out with truck and trailer.

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
9/18/14 11:44 a.m.

Someone just posted a pretty POed response ad about it on the Cincy craigslist:

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/4673968528.html

Though I still don't see how you can possibly go wrong at $1500.

Ashyukun
9/18/14 11:51 a.m.
PubBurgers wrote: Someone just posted a pretty POed response ad about it on the Cincy craigslist: http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/4673968528.html Though I still don't see how you can possibly go wrong at $1500.

Interesting- sounds like Powar may get a crack at it after all. Does sound like it's in worse shape than seller lets on, but frankly I would have been expecting that. And I would agree that it would be hard for anyone who can work on it themselves to go wrong. As I said- if I didn't already have too many projects stacked up I'd have jumped on it myself.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
9/18/14 12:09 p.m.

Well. He just called me back and said that the other person never showed up. Coincidentally, he was supposed to be there an hour ago (when that cincy complaining ad was posted)...

He straight told me on the phone that the only bad paint was the hood and a couple of spots of clear on the fender, and that it ran and drove well before this transmission SNAFU. You can very plainly see in that one additional picture that the paint is hosed on the rear bumper as well.

Now I'm torn.

Ashyukun
9/18/14 2:45 p.m.

I looked it up and it does appear to be about 45 minutes from Lexington- I'd volunteer to go look it over, but the only time I'd have would be right after work and it would take twice as long as usual to get there due to rush hour traffic.

pitbull113
pitbull113 Reader
9/18/14 5:14 p.m.

My bet would be the "cincy complainer" went to see the car and made a low ball offer and it was declined. So he posts a derogatory ad hoping to scare away buyers. Then wait a couple of days with another offer. Guy even admits he buys and sells miatas. $400 hardtop my ass.

Ashyukun
9/19/14 9:34 a.m.

In reply to pitbull113:

That wouldn't surprise me that much if that were the case. Kind of a dick move, but it's not like we don't see plenty of those every day.

I'd be game for going down and checking it out tomorrow morning, I've got a stretch of time where the wife will be off at work.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
9/19/14 12:05 p.m.

Sorry, upon closer examination of my own situation (fiscal) I decided not to pusue this one. Good luck to the rest of my Lexington bretherin however.

Ashyukun
9/20/14 2:36 p.m.

Looks like the seller deleted the original post and out up a new one with an additional picture of the back of it- http://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/4672384884.html

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
9/21/14 5:28 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun:

that one is deleted now one of you guys get it?

Ashyukun
9/22/14 9:32 a.m.

In reply to Billy_Bottle_Caps:

Wasn't me, much as I would have liked to be able to grab it there's just already too much on my plate. I'm not seeing it listed anymore either, so hopefully someone else here grabbed it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BCGu9RorJh22UuL1bin3G2KFRZsgCqNiQVJnKH28Ys5UX5tuye9fzdCKrropowrS