1 2
tb (minimally supportive)
tb (minimally supportive) GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/17/20 2:32 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:
cruisermatt said:

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

Easy

Thanks.  After I beat tb I'll point out that my piece of garbage hand made vacuum canister displaces more than his entire engine.

First, I wouldn't call it garbage. It sounds more like a custom job by a skilled fabricator 

Second, don't let the worry of losing to such a tiny little four banger eat at you. It is a long time until October and doubting yourself for next 10 months could really devastate your confidence...

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/17/20 2:44 p.m.

In reply to tb (minimally supportive) :

Yeah we don’t want that to happen. I’m told all the time I’m lacking confidence. 

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/17/20 3:55 p.m.

You're using "skilled fabricator" quite loosely there. We've all seen Stampie's battery tie down.

admc58
admc58 Reader
12/19/20 5:34 a.m.

That rockauto style canister should be $2-3 in any pick-a-part or LKQ, especially if you are buying other stuff.  Check the fender wells of most cars, anything with a turbo for sure.  The photo below shows a typical installation in a Audi A6. One or two of these should be plenty of extra vacuum capacity.  The check valve should be somewhere up the line.  

It could be "T'd" into the vacuum line to the brake booster and on the booster side of the check valve. Be sure to use good vacuum line that will not collapse. 

2000 A6 Avant Quattro Vacuum Lines & Reservoir - AudiForums.com

jfryjfry (FS)
jfryjfry (FS) Dork
12/21/20 9:25 a.m.

A vacuum reservoir can also be affordably constructed from a capped  2-3" dia  PVC tube with a hose barb. 

admc58
admc58 Reader
12/22/20 7:06 p.m.
jfryjfry (FS) said:

A vacuum reservoir can also be affordably constructed from a capped  2-3" dia  PVC tube with a hose barb. 

Check the dumpsters at new house construction sites for cutoffs from the plumber install. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/12/21 9:18 a.m.

2001 Mercedes S Class just sitting there out in the open. 

2/12/21 10:08 a.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

Nice find, looks large and well constructed. Between injuries and snow I am way behind schedule. I am fairly confident that I have enough spare parts in my stash to make something work, eventually...

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/12/21 10:31 a.m.
No Time said:

Any GM from the 70s through 90s in the pick-n-pull should have at least a couple of these under the hood.  Probably most Mopar and Ford products will have their variation. 

For as long as I can remember I've referenced that as 'the orb of power'.

2/12/21 10:40 a.m.

In reply to iansane :

I already have one of these sitting on my shelf and it is certainly cheap enough to use a new part in my $1k budget build. So far I have scavenged a few good check valves and good hose from the spare emissions equipment. Should be easy enough to round up fittings and package it cleanly underhood but brakes are kinda last on my list right now...

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/14/21 5:15 p.m.

The old coors light party balls would actually work even better, but are more difficult to find. But if you're ever going to consider meth injection on a challenge build, the mini keg is the way to go. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/14/21 5:26 p.m.

If you're going to have forced induction and a tune with pops and bangs, I think this is needed. As a bonus the base can be made into a dead pedal. 

Remember with these options, you're purchasing the beverage and the vessel is free. (Depending on your state there may be a .05-.15 recycling opportunity cost) 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
613GaTZsERtfISH78JHNLKwxoRsJ9pfPs7XA6veR6VVfHqVcDvQB6hoLIEwGMIFW