1 2 3 4
Crazier
Crazier Reader
5/30/20 10:25 p.m.

Well, I may yet make budget.

i traded the trans out of the parts car for a new set of 80# injectors.

They are less than $300 new, but everyone wants $200 for a used set, and then there is no way to be sure they are not knockoffs.

After months of trying I found someone local to do the deal. He was anxious because no one knows the mileage on the trans. After he got it instaled he said it was clean inside, shifted right and the lockup was tight, and that some one had modified it with a diferential sprayer (new to me) and a shift kit.... 

Now I just have to find the specific rules for trades.

Crazier
Crazier Reader
5/31/20 12:08 a.m.

In truth though. I have stopped and started, paused and changed direction I really have no idea where I am at.

Ive made more than $2000 over the last couple of years buying and selling parts for this car. Making a bit of profit and keeping a few bucks each time. 

I guess I need to add yet anouther clarification... I always feel like such a Bi-polar loser when I have to do that.

Crazier
Crazier Reader
7/30/20 10:51 p.m.

So, i traded off my spare harness for a meth injection set up.

This eliminated my need for an intercooler under the supercharger and aftermarket fuel rails and I traded the intercooler set up for an inovative wideband AFR guage with built in boost controller.

We redid the motor mounts, had to buy some new lowers but used some stock uppers from a scrap car.

Having some fun with stock manifold, we did a mock up and looks like we can make it work for a turbo hotside.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/31/20 1:02 p.m.

In reply to Crazier :

Wow, looking great!

Crazier
Crazier Reader
8/11/20 4:00 p.m.

Some more work done.

Hotside is 100% out of the scrap pile.

Still need to rework the turbo mount on the passenger side so that it points up and out instead of down and out.

Scored a couple motor cycle coilovers for cheap on ebay last night and I think i have a couple coming from my friends stalled project.

Another guy I know online hooked me up with custom mounts to use motor cycle coilovers on a corvette.

Crazier
Crazier Reader
8/11/20 4:03 p.m.

Some more work done.

Hotside is 100% out of the scrap pile.

Still need to rework the turbo mount on the passenger side so that it points up and out instead of down and out.

Scored a couple motor cycle coilovers for cheap on ebay last night and I think i have a couple coming from my friends stalled project.

Another guy I know online hooked me up with custom mounts to use motor cycle coilovers on a corvette.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Dork
8/17/20 8:19 p.m.

As a 3800 GM Fan, I approve

Crazier
Crazier Reader
8/17/20 10:36 p.m.

One step forward two steps back.

Did anyone know that the 3800 in the camaro uses a flexplate 3/8 of an inch thicker than the FWD 3800?

Guess I will have to find some 3/8 spacers and some longer bolts.

I dont like the motorcycle coilovers I bought from ebay. And they dont work well with the brackets I was given.

Fortunately the ones from Dustin sand rail look like the right ones.... Did anyone else know how many people use motorcycle shocks on sand rails?

Working on the removable hard top, a power steering delete and got a couple more bars on the cage.

Our original plan did not work out, so there was a false start or two on the passenger side... Oh well

Probably going to have to make the rear 6 inches longer to fit the radiator back there, but we made the front 6 inches shorter... 

8/18/20 9:05 a.m.

In reply to Crazier :

You're definitely making progress. 

Crazier
Crazier Reader
8/24/20 5:43 p.m.

Zx10R motorcycle coilovers installed.  Seems to have restored stock ride height.

Front still seems a little high. There is still some adjustment to be done, springs are set about in the middle.

Not sure how lowering them all the way would effect the spring rate/handling/ geometry so ive left it alone.

Ive also reused stock rubber bushing/grommets, removing them or using smaller ones would provide more low. But again I'm not sure what effect that would have. Would killing the bushings do anything besides making the ride rougher?

At the moment im fine with stock ride height but id appreciate advice for where to go from here.

We also fired up the lathe and made a power steering delete pulley in preparation for an electric power steering conversion.

Hoping to start the turbo mounting this weekend

8/24/20 6:13 p.m.

In reply to Crazier :

Are there any bumpstops limiting suspension travel, or just the springs/shocks?

Crazier
Crazier Reader
8/25/20 10:02 a.m.

Bump stops in the rear. 

Crazier
Crazier Reader
8/26/20 10:58 p.m.

Crazier
Crazier Reader
8/31/20 6:30 p.m.

BarryNorman
BarryNorman New Reader
9/2/20 11:42 a.m.

In reply to Crazier :

I see some semblance of radiator bracketry back there. Just add a deeply curved diffuser to feed it. And fans, because FanCar! = Win!

Crazier
Crazier Reader
9/2/20 10:42 p.m.

In reply to BarryNorman :

Radiator is definately moving to the rear and sucking air from under the car.

Just have not figured out the scrapyard engineering yet.

My budget is TIGHT!

Crazier
Crazier Reader
9/2/20 10:56 p.m.

Did some cleaning and painting.

Trying to mock up fuel lines.

The turbo is now in the space formerly occupied by fuel lines. So I've pulled them off and am trying to run them on the other side.

One is now not quite long enough. No room in the budget to buy new lines.

Ive spun the fuel cell around, but I'm still a couple inches short. I may run the lines through the frame. OR if I move the fuel filter to the rear it works out.

Any reason not to?

I never cut the return line (on the small block set up it ran all the way to the front of the engine and then up and back) its only the line from the tank to the filter that's too short.

In reply to Crazier :

The filter location should be irrelevant, at least once everything is primed. 

Crazier
Crazier Reader
9/3/20 8:32 p.m.

May have to just go buy some extra JIc fittings

And make it a two part hose. Im still too short.

Crazier
Crazier Reader
9/6/20 10:26 p.m.

Have a bit of a rats nest with the fuel lines....

Bigger rats nest with the wiring harness.

It was made for a "truggy" so a lot of things are in the wrong spot.

Still going to work, just have to cut all the wire ties and maybe make some extensions.

The good news is, its already set to eput thw computer and coil packs/ICM inside the car with no modifications!

Crazier
Crazier Reader
9/8/20 9:29 p.m.

New inter cooler does not fit like the old one... I could easily mount the old one either of these ways with just a slight trim... Now the angles are all off.

Went to storage and grabbed the top that i drove to virginia to get a couple years ago... Its awesome... I can lift it over my head with my weak hand!

Its going to require a few adjustments however.

BarryNorman
BarryNorman New Reader
9/13/20 11:20 a.m.

In reply to Crazier :

You still have the doors, right?

Crazier
Crazier Reader
9/13/20 11:16 p.m.

In reply to BarryNorman :

Yes... But who needs doora?

Crazier
Crazier Reader
9/13/20 11:18 p.m.

I need a couple couplers that im actually going to have to buy.... I'm about out of things that i need that people may just have sitting on a shelf!

BarryNorman
BarryNorman New Reader
9/15/20 1:53 a.m.

In reply to Crazier :

Door skins as material for a diffuser to feed the radiator. Especially if they're plastic or thin metal and not fiberglass. To allow bending etc. (Think huge naca duct)

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RCLd5MqoKqXiLu9vUqwUZYVEBvMngAsH3SD8DIqOlis7ClDuQMfWU1pQzHAQA78J