AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/19 2:31 p.m.

I'll have at least a few cubic feet of space in the (covered) bed of the Sonoma, and if the weather looks good i can take off the soft tonneau and carry a little bit more.  From Detroit area will be taking 275 south to 75 south to FL, unless i have a good reason to deviate from that path.  LMK what you need moved and we'll figure it out.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/15/19 2:44 p.m.

Wanna stop by ted Nugent and grab me some swag? He's in Detroit, right? Or kid rock?

I wish i needed something for my projects from up there....

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/15/19 2:45 p.m.

Trying to time/plan the drive down.

I can leave anywhere from Monday the 21st to very early on Thursday as far as I am concerned. Myself? I tend to canonblall all my roadtrips, But I promised not to make the trip an ordeal for the other two guys.

Any advice on what a good pace or way to divy up the trip from basically Detroit to Gainesville?

Pete

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/15/19 2:55 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Plan to arrive in Gainesville early afternoon on Thursday.

There are millions of fun things to do on the way. Corvette museum, tail of the dragon, national parks, diners drive ins and dives, basically pic something you like and you can find 30 on the way down I bet.

But get to Gainesville Thursday afternoon or sooner.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/15/19 3:02 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

OK, so sooner rather than later on the 24th is the answer. Been so busy with work and getting the car back together that I have not given much attention to the schedule on arrival.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
10/15/19 3:02 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I normally go Dexter-Locust Grove ,Georgia the first day, Wednesday. That involves leaving here about 5 AM and having supper at a Mexican place near the hotel in Locust Grove, roughly 12 hours later. If I depart Locust Grove by 7 AM I'll be in Gainesville right around noon Thursday. The return trip will be Gainesville to Dexter in one shot.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/15/19 3:12 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

I need to get the crew sorted out.

Your pace is pretty much what I would do if left to my own devices.

Pete

AngryCorvair
10/15/19 3:33 p.m.

Hmmm, i should check the map again.  i have a free place to stay in Greenville SC on Wednesday night, but that's not on 75, LOL.

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/15/19 3:42 p.m.

I wish I could say "pick up a manual transmission from a Super Coupe in Circleville Ohio for me" but I can't afford it right now.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/15/19 4:25 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

Hmmm, i should check the map again.  i have a free place to stay in Greenville SC on Wednesday night, but that's not on 75, LOL.

According to Google Maps, adding in Greenville only adds 1hr 20 minutes to the trip, BUT, it keeps you out of Atlanta traffic so I would argue that the time difference is not that great.  May be worth it for the $100 savings of skipping a hotel room.  However, is this free place to stay okay with you arriving late and leaving early?  It is more than 10 hours to get to Greenville and then you still have 6-7 hours left for the next day to get to Gainesville.  

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/15/19 5:55 p.m.

My first thought was must hit Detroit CL for wheels. 

Dusterbd13-michael
10/15/19 6:07 p.m.
Stampie said:

My first thought was must hit Detroit CL for wheels. 

Already did....

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/16/19 7:50 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

In my small town CL, I looked to see if there were any wheels that might interest either of you (or someone else.)  I came up with these offerings.  

Jeep Pizza Wheels asking $100 for 4.  15"

Basset Oval Track wheels asking $100 for 4

Lexus GX470 Wheels asking $150 but finish is very rough.  

Robbie
10/16/19 12:53 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Basset Oval Track wheels asking $100 for 4

I know someone who's got 4 15x8 oval track steelies for half (or less) of that and we can deliver to the challenge...

Dusterbd13-michael
10/16/19 1:03 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

5x4.5 or 5x4.75?

Robbie
10/16/19 1:07 p.m.

lol. I THINK we have 8 wheels total. We are using 2. Of the remaining 6 I believe 4 are 5x4.5 and 2 are 5x4.75. If you're interested in any I'll get confirmation.

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/16/19 1:14 p.m.

Ooh, 5x4.5 would fit two of my cars.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
10/16/19 1:36 p.m.

im looking for 200tw tires in 275/40r17 size

i plan on ordering new today but would gladly save money lol

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
10/18/19 1:39 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

Well heck.  Any way you could bring down Dic Brown’s B-3 engine.  I’m only 25 miles from Greenville.  I hate to be asking at this late date.  

AngryCorvair
10/18/19 2:01 p.m.
spitfirebill said:
AngryCorvair said:

Well heck.  Any way you could bring down Dic Brown’s B-3 engine.  I’m only 25 miles from Greenville.  I hate to be asking at this late date.  

i may be picking up a passenger south of Indy, which makes Greenville a no-go.  And i probably won't know that until relatively late in the game, like tuesday 10/22.  would there be anyone at the challenge who could get it from me in Gainesville and take it to Greenville SC?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k9eDs6IhGj2cSUQvjW9RpbMILJ4Q0jww0ezyivAlxgCiVkjc1mmZ0Mm8R3H4Oo78