1 ... 4 5 6 7
eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
8/21/20 2:23 p.m.

I’ll be there, I’m just not 100% certain on the car(and number of teammates), so I haven’t signed up yet.  On the very off chance I do not have a vehicle ready yet, I’ll do my darndest to join another team so I can still be there.

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/25/20 12:17 p.m.
wheels777 said:

We have to make the thousand mile trip each way also. We typically only stop for one night on the way down and make the return trip home in one shot  

In the past, the GRM Challenge has been one of our first events to sign up for and it is one of our favorite events to attend. However, the potential lack of attendance is weighing heavily on our interest for 2020. The people who attend this event are some of the most fun and innovative and interesting people with a common interest and we consider many of them friends. Without them and the GRM family participating in person and here on the board, it is weighing towards taking a year off.

There  are a lot of folks who are not attending for fear of Covid, fear of traveling with all the hostilities that we have been witnessing and the challenges that many now face with their employment. Our family has seen a layoff, multiple furloughs, pay cuts and for myself a persuasive invitation to retire.  Incurring the costs for traveling, hotels and food are going to be an unwelcome to hit to the budget, however we have always absorbed these costs knowing how much we personally get from this event.

I know that I have not made any statements here suggesting whether you should or should not attend. Frankly all I have done is express my own thoughts and struggles in trying to decide.  After all the excitement and fun that was had by those who participated in the recent events, I am confident that there are a large number of us struggling with that decision.

We are hoping to bring 3 cars - straight shot or maybe a quick hotel nap on the way down, and straight shot back. It's going to be harder without driver swaps. Normally we head down Wednesday and get in late that night, then head north Sunday (and take Monday off work as a recovery day). That gives time for a parking lot build or down day before the event. 2 will be competing somewhere mid-pack, mine will be running exhibition against the boys. 

At this point, we're probably 80% of a "go" but nothing booked yet. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/25/20 12:51 p.m.

I'm looking at potentially heading down for Petit the weekend before and staying within the region (give or take 400 miles) and heading into Gainesville Wednesday for any final prep.

Monday and Tuesday of that week or open to explore driving roads, breweries (maybe?), BBQ and soulfood spots, potentially see if the FIRM would be willing to set up a course on Tuesday to serve as shake down, tire scrub in and final setup adjustments (especially if others would be interested)

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/25/20 1:25 p.m.

I'm still planning to take the 300Ci down, but The Dancer is not the most thrilled about it... I do worry that even with planning on being as careful as possible that she will push hard for me to not end up going. I even for a short while investigated renting a RV to drive down (pulling the e46) to avoid staying at the hotel (and potentially being able to bring The Dancer and The Dog along), but it was just unreasonably expensive.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

From everything we know about coronavirus the event itself will be incredibly safe. If you're concerned about catching it during travel I'd do camping or a solo Air B-n-B. Yes, it's theoretically possible to catch it through an HVAC in a hotel but there haven't been any real world examples in North America.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/08/15/897147164/can-air-conditioners-spread-covid-19

My family is still using this chart do make decisions about our risk profile. It's a good way to frame the conversation and shows how safe I think this event will be. It's outside, everybody will be wearing masks, and social distancing will be in place. According to the chart the challenge itself is no more dangerous than going to the grocery store-which you're probably already doing. 

https://abc7.com/covid-19-activity-risk-chart-calculator-for-assessment/6305611/

I can't make it this year because of a scheduling conflict and am pretty grumpy about it. Radwood is an awesome theme and I think my car had a shot at a good finish-especially if there are fewer entries this year! I am going to ask Tom if I can enter this year and roll my registration over to 2021.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/26/20 8:30 a.m.

We haven't decided yet. There's significant family concern with my lungs and the increased potential to cath this thing travelling. 

Honestly,  it will boil down to what next month looks like for the country and infection rates and how my wife feels about the risk.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/20 8:45 a.m.

for me, it comes down to my acceptance of the fact that everything i do takes about 5x longer than i originally estimate. i'm about 100% certain MonZora will make her debut in 2021. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/20 9:08 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

everything i do takes about 5x longer

Lol join the club!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
8/26/20 9:24 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Lol join the club!

I keep padding my estimates to take into account how much longer the work really takes, and then it takes even longer.  It’s some kind of vicious cycle.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/20 9:47 a.m.

for me, it comes down to my acceptance of the fact that everything i do takes about 5x longer than i originally estimate. i'm about 100% certain MonZora will make her debut in 2021. 

I'm looking forward to seeing it in 2026.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/26/20 9:51 a.m.

Lol join the club!

Chicks dig a guy that takes awhile.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
8/26/20 9:56 a.m.

I'm pretty sure I'm not going this year- I love the challenge, but to be honest, I go for the parking lot build(s) [planned or otherwise] and associated shenanigans.  I can't in good conscience roll around under a car for 48 hours with a bunch of people from all over the country right now, all touching the same stuff and bumping into each other and whatnot.  Yeah, we can probably figure out a safer way to do it... but come on, we all know it's not quite the same.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/26/20 10:31 a.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

Lol join the club!

Chicks dig a guy that takes awhile.

Tell that to my wife/ "Are you dont yet" just doesn't do it ya know?

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/26/20 10:53 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I'll have a few special bottles ready. We took home our first double gold last weekend. The carjacking is a sign that next year I really just need to go out to San Fran for the competition. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/20 11:02 a.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

I'm looking forward to seeing it in 2026.

Is that when you get out for good behavior?

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/20 11:09 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

You assume I'm capable of good behavior.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/26/20 1:03 p.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress (Forum Supporter) :

Are you and I reading a different chart?

There are an awful lot of things on that chart that imply the Challenge could be questionable. 

8/26/20 3:49 p.m.

I'm in and registered. 

CSmith should be joining me in registration later today. 

8/26/20 3:50 p.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to CrustyRedXpress (Forum Supporter) :

Are you and I reading a different chart?

There are an awful lot of things on that chart that imply the Challenge could be questionable. 

It *really* depends on what you do at the Challenge and how social you are. I'm excited to be going at this point. Now to book a room...

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/26/20 4:00 p.m.

In reply to Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) :

Right. 

Which could be said about pretty much ANY activity. 

My point was not to suggest the Challenge is inherently risky.   I don't think it is. My point was using THAT particular chart to justify THIS particular event doesn't make much sense, because that chart suggests this event is a risky event. 

tb (minimally supportive)
tb (minimally supportive) GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/26/20 4:13 p.m.

I have been on the fence for a while, but have decided that I'm in. Personally, I do my best to mitigate my risky behaviors without completely removing them from my life.

I'll probably start working on my car this weekend and will register soon. I have a plan, but recognize that the situation is fluid and dynamic so who the berkeley really knows what the future will bring...

bigben
bigben Reader
8/27/20 12:19 a.m.

I'm still debating too. I haven't spent much time on the car mostly because every autocross event that I could have attended this year has been canceled, except one event the week before the Challenge.  Apparently driving alone around cones or standing 20 to 75 ft away from others outside in a parking lot puts you at higher risk for covid than going to a movie theater or the gym!

My wife is suggesting just to wait till next year so there is time to get everything done on the car, which unfortunately now includes trying to figure out what to do with the paint and how to fit it in the budget, since removing last year's stickers resulted in huge patches of paint being ripped off the car.angry

I still have vacation time set aside, so i guess we'll see what happens. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
8/27/20 8:49 a.m.

I'm not going to make it this year. My failure to hire and retain employees this year has cost me an undesired amount of time away from home. Also having a few month old son doesn't really help with my wife wanting me to go away this year without her. She also says things like, why are you going if you aren't going to win. crying

8/27/20 10:34 a.m.
Andy Neuman said:

I'm not going to make it this year. My failure to hire and retain employees this year has cost me an undesired amount of time away from home. Also having a few month old son doesn't really help with my wife wanting me to go away this year without her. She also says things like, why are you going if you aren't going to win. crying

We'll miss you and I'm still buying your ice a couple times a week. Hope things work out better for next year!

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
9/4/20 10:18 p.m.

I'm officially on the roster! Covid can't berkeley  with this. See y'all next month. 

1 ... 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kIhMnvXXJRizBAJECxFrphJ4hG7jzltZ5oJl329NsMIFMyYTeryPPj3xXgibZwNl