tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/6/19 10:57 p.m.

I know in the past there have been some locals in FL who have offered up logistical help for challengers looking to fly in and buy a car for the challenge and I am thinking about just this...

Honestly, I will not be able to actually build a challenge car anytime soon as my health and distance from Gainesville are working against me. I could, however, buy a decent car in FL and throw a day or two of work into it, slap on some tires and call it good enough to have some fun.

Obviously, we are way far away from October but circumstances actually have me planning ahead for once in my life so I am just throwing out feelers. There are many different ways that this could all go down but the fact is that the most realistic way for me to compete is with a good bit of help...

I can compensate generously, at least within the confines of what is acceptable per the rules. I can fly in to help with the legwork at anytime but eyes on the ground, potential storage space and most of all local knowledge and experience would go a long way! Is anyone available to help out or form a team? As usual, my plans are modest and my thankfulness is abundant.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
5/7/19 6:12 a.m.

My first thought is Team Stampie.  Also Dyintorace & FlaDriver are in the area.

Maybe you could PM one of them, or perhaps they'll chime in.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/7/19 8:01 a.m.

I should have driveway space by then. Might be cheaper and maybe even more fun to just volunteer to help on another team. 

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/7/19 8:24 a.m.

Thanks for the replies so far, I'm trying to plant the seed early so it is great to get some attention.

It would be cheaper and easier to volunteer to join another team but I feel like I have done enough of that in between actual entries of my own. My plan was to bring my own car last year but that is a whole long story unto itself...

I'm thinking that perhaps by offering to bankroll the effort for someone without a plan already in action that I can act like the ultimate enabler and add one more car to the entry list. I might not be the mechanic or driver that I once was but I am fortunate to have enough money to contribute a necessary part of the equation that someone else might be short on at the moment.

I'm flexible and will do my best to show up and enjoy the spectacle somehow...

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/7/19 8:43 a.m.

In reply to tb :

I'd be willing to store a car but don't think I meet your criteria. We're planning on hopefully bringing two cars this year so I know I wouldn't be able to spare much time right before the Challenge. I'd be willing to get your vehicle and store it though. 

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/7/19 9:00 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Thanks, that is a really appreciated offer. It might be exactly what I need; I never know how things will ultimately end before I even get started!

Bringing two cars is a massive undertaking and I would never want to infringe on the limited amount of time that you have to prep them. However, I kinda get the idea that if you see something really cool and applicable you won't hesitate to share with the group and do your best as a fellow enabler.

My most sincere thanks!

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/7/19 9:13 a.m.

Dude, this is the definition of gastropod. Just keep scanning the for sale ads and waiting. You will find something. You could probably even drive it home after the event to sell in Denver as rust free for a bump. 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/7/19 9:55 a.m.
Indy-Guy said:

My first thought is Team Stampie.  Also Dyintorace & FlaDriver are in the area.

Maybe you could PM one of them, or perhaps they'll chime in.

Always up for helping facilitate. I live in Gainesville and can help with logistics, purchase and possibly storage. Mr. Joshua is here too, as are a few others. Let me know how I can help!

Fladiver64
Fladiver64 Reader
5/7/19 10:11 a.m.

I'm in saint cloud,fl, Orlando area. I could help with outside storage, and a shop to put a couple days work on a gastropod. Starting another team would be hard as I'm already working with a high school team. Let me know if I can help.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/7/19 11:49 a.m.

Why not just join another team?

You (or anyone!) are welcome to ride along with me. I live 5 minutes from the Atlanta airport which has awesome flight options. Planning to hit the road that Thursday afternoon with room to spare in the truck. Just me and one other guy so far. 

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/7/19 12:21 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

I have been doing the Gastropod thing since before it was cool! Actually, I haven't really followed that thread but I like the general gist of it and will probably try my best to fit into the class.

Probably try to sell it off quick and cheap or just donate it when done because the drive is too long back to Denver and this area is really a high desert so surprisingly rust isn't an issue around here.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/7/19 12:24 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

Thanks for the offer of help and support; A place to store a car and address to ship parts to would probably be a big help. If it looks best to do something last minute then local knowledge of decent parts stores and tire shops will help a ton along with advice for when the unexpected occurs.

It is great that I can throw out ideas and find like minded people around that encourage them!

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/7/19 12:26 p.m.

In reply to Fladiver64 :

That is great to know and I appreciate the offer. I wouldn't want to interfere with your own plans or take resources away from the youngsters but it is really nice to know some potential help is out there!

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/7/19 12:30 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

That is one hell of a good idea and I am going to think on it. I have always been glad to be accepted onto other teams and it really makes me happy to be able to help in any way...

I do feel like it has been too long since I had my own car is my main though at the moment. I skipped even spectating last year for personal reasons and I am just itching to be more involved. There are a lot of options to explore and I am thrilled that you have put another one on the table and thankful to be able to put it under consideration. 

Right now I don't have many answers, just a lot of questions to work on...

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/7/19 12:44 p.m.

I totally get it. It's way more fun with your own car. If you find a car in Atlanta that's drivable to Florida, I can help with that too as another option.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
5/7/19 3:08 p.m.

How much work are willing to put into a gastropod? 

I have one for sale in SC that doesn't need much work and comes with a ton of parts if decide to go whole hog. It's a 740i and was our daily until the we wanted something newer.

Check it out and PM if you are interested.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/7/19 10:41 p.m.

In reply to Strike_Zero :

I've been thinking about it but I must say that the bimmer is not for me. It probably isn't too big of a project for me to tackle in a couple days behind the best western but it might be and I am a little wary of them after working at a flaps.

Thanks for thinking of me and bringing it up, though. Good luck with sale!

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/30/19 4:34 p.m.

I was all set to register without a car or teammates or those little things figured out yet but it looks like now I am out... 

My cousin is finally getting married; we are close and he wants me there to help out and be a part of things. Looks like a I'll be spending my time trying to herd cats around New Jersey instead of playing cars down in Florida.

I might be able to get away in time to come spectate but will probably not have time to buy and prep a car. Thanks again for all of the offers of help, perhaps I will see you guys in the fall.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/5/19 12:41 a.m.

I'm updating this for no particular reason other than perhaps a bit of a need to vent...

My cousin actually moved his wedding back a month when a venue change had to happen so that works great; I think I am back in.

I formulate a plan to fly down tuesday or wednesday and buy a car in South Florida with my Dad so he can come again. New tires and a nitrous install on thursday afternoon in the parking lot should be easy and fun. I have logistical support from my wife and parents that I will need and we can blow the car up at the end of the night if we feel like it...

Sadly, this summer has brought me three surgeries on my spinal cord and back; the most important and difficult one was last week. Everything is going well except so far the recovery has not been extremely quick or painless. I still have a few more tweaks to be made and everyone from my neurosurgeon to my father are constantly telling me to stay seated on my fat for the immediate future... no one is in support of me having fun with cars anytime soon and I was very much counting on them to help me make this happen.

So, even though my circumstances have changed around drastically, I am still out. It is hard to express the emotions I am feeling and just saying "disappointed" is epically inadequate... I am tired, hurting and cranky but mostly devastated that I am forced to the sidelines for yet another year. I didn't even spectate last year since I was back in a wheelchair at the time and couldn't deal with how depressing and embarrassing that was. 

There is a very good chance that I will be cleared to fly down and can watch everyone else have some fun. As always, I will enjoy the cars and company. 

Rant over; good luck everyone!

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/5/19 5:42 a.m.

In reply to tb :

That sucks about the timing of your surgery, but you absolutely need to take care of your body & get healed. 

There’s zero shame regarding a wheelchair, please don’t let that deter you. At least not for that reason...I’d be more worried about what kind of questionable modifications your wheelchair ended up by the end of the weekend. 

Last year just hanging out and lending a hand to Stampie was the most fun I’ve had at the Challenge yet. I find it’s more difficult to enjoy it if I’m focused on getting good times or keeping the car in one piece. So I hope you’re cleared to come down & hang out too!

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
10/5/19 6:14 a.m.

+1 to what Pete said. Prayers for a speedy recovery, and hope to see you soon.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
10/5/19 9:56 a.m.

If I wasn’t out of the country working, I’d volunteer to fly out and be your crew.  

Take care of yourself and don’t let a wheelchair keep you from enjoying it as much as possible!

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
10/5/19 10:56 a.m.

Im in Montgomery and just found out my wife screwed me financially.  I have skills and a desire to build and race.  Let me know if i can help

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/5/19 12:15 p.m.

Thanks for all the kindness and offers of help, I appreciate it. Sometimes life gets stacked up against you and suddenly you are overwhelmed and depressed  but I have been told that expressing it helps.

With all of the medical stuff I have dealt with I usually bounce back from it quickly and 99% of the time everything goes really well but I understand that it is never guaranteed. I can sorta walk a little but I don't know how the next few weeks will go...

Mostly, I am just pissed that my own family members are so quick to give up on helping me with something that is important to me. Every plan I make gets completely trashed with each new development in life but one way or another I will make it down there and enjoy it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Nd3HFGHWd2iqBS3pT2da18ZGtCjWJkg0QwiznJw7UPAVWKjX3LoeXgo4gXEN8nyN