tyson42
tyson42 GRM+ Member
1/26/21 9:03 p.m.

TL;DR - What's a worn out dodge 80's 318/Auto engine and trans worth if I have it in the garage that I traded a Saturn with a blown trans for?

OK - So, I picked up a $500 245 Wagon last week, it drove onto the trailer under its own power (after sitting for 6+ months).  "just needs a battery" according to the seller.  Warrantied the battery, drove it for 5 minutes after checking the fluids, and it turns out it 'just needs a transmission'.  I'm going to do a fluid drain/refill, but I'm pretty sure that is an exercise in futility.  

I'm considering swapping in the following from an unfinished project:

318/904(?) Engine/trans combo, including all accessories, wiring and ignition module - I pulled this from a 1982 dodge van that I traded FREE 1998 Saturn for.  I got the Saturn from my inlaws when the differential exploded, taking out the trans.  The Saturn was headed to the scrapyard, worth ~$200 at the time.

This has been installed in a Model A for the last 10 years or so, and hasn't run it at least 6.  Nothing has been done to either other than a rattle-can rebuild and run it.  

The engine on car-part.com is $300 to $700, transmission $75 to $675.  ($375?)

So - for FMV can I use the scrap value of the Saturn that I traded or should I use current car-part.com prices for the parts?  

First challenge, not sure how to best approach this... Thanks,

Tyson

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/21 9:10 p.m.

Seems like it's probably easiest to document the fair market value (which you pointed out was scrap value) of the saturn, which you used to trade for the motor and trans. 

Though you could also probably just ask here to "fmv" the combo alone, and I'm not sure many people are going to argue with $200 for a worn out 80s van v8 and trans.

I'm ok with $200 for that engine/trans.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/21 9:13 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Seems like it's probably easiest to document the fair market value (which you pointed out was scrap value) of the saturn, which you used to trade for the motor and trans. 

Though you could also probably just ask here to "fmv" the combo alone, and I'm not sure many people are going to argue with $200 for a worn out 80s van v8 and trans.

I'm ok with $200 for that engine/trans.

I certainly wouldn't pay any more than that for a 318/904.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/21 9:20 p.m.

I'll buy the Volvo for $500 and let you have $200 for FMV on the engine trans.  Yeah count that as a $200 is cool but my offer stands.

tyson42
tyson42 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/26/21 9:24 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

I'll buy the Volvo for $500 and let you have $200 for FMV on the engine trans.  Yeah count that as a $200 is cool but my offer stands.

I am usually one so say 'everything's for sale' but I've wanted a brick wagon for a while.  And this one is pretty clean for a NE car, so a good base to start with.  

Check back in 6 months - I may pay you $500 to haul it off in frustration... (prob not thought)

t

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/27/21 12:29 p.m.

So are you going to call this thing a dajibrick?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sKZupBScpxpamCADCG30xSvPnVUcZV0QYraQ0lA5rW5dWb3CNG8HspP0Q8LApNvY