1 2
Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/18/21 3:02 p.m.

I have this BOP TH400. Notice the extra ventilation hole. I would like to value it at $30 for the transmission and $3 for the flexplate because I'm just going to use them as core returns to be honest. Sorry no picture of the flexplate other than a hint of it through the new inspection hole.

If you're wondering why, I really really don't want to turn in a good Model A transmission as just a core to a junkyard that's going to scrap it. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/18/21 10:14 p.m.

I mean, that's about $33 more than I would pay. If you want a truly free trans to use as a core I've got one sitting in my driveway...

I'm ok with 33. So, theoretically, you'll be paying x +33 for a junkyard trans. Since I assume the core fee is greater than $33?

Stampie (FS)
1/18/21 10:21 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

I'll self trade to the Model A parts I don't want to get rid of.  I just want to keep everything in budget without sending 90 year old parts to scrap.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
1/18/21 10:31 p.m.

Save the dipstick tube and dipstick if they're good. I'm always looking for those things, people lose them. What car it came out of?

Stampie (FS)
1/18/21 10:35 p.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

I think it's a 425 Cadillac from the late 70's/early 80's.  I grabbed the engine 10ish years ago because well I'm a Cadillac whore and worse case is free HEI distributor.  I'll pull those and save them for you.  Do you agree with $33?

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/19/21 6:19 a.m.

I'm in at $30 and $3 because I never would have even considered asking if your core returns were originally in-budget....

Core refunds come off the price of the part like a discount, not a recoup. If everyone had to account for where they accumulate FLAPS points, things would get even more overcomplicated.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/21 6:33 a.m.

I wouldn't core return a short tail slip yoke th400.  I'd get an ultrabell for it 

Stampie (FS)
1/19/21 8:16 a.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

I'll sell it to you for $30 but right now the only purpose it serves is taking up space. But yeah I'd still need a trans for a core. 

1/19/21 8:24 a.m.

Ebay tells me most model a transmissions are about worthless and are likely a better core than a th400.  The generation that would restore a model a is dead.  Nobody needs them and the guys who do likely already have 3 under their workbench

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
1/19/21 8:26 a.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

I wouldn't core return a short tail slip yoke th400.  I'd get an ultrabell for it 

This ^^^ is why I didn't mention my thoughts on value.

Stampie (FS)
1/19/21 8:52 a.m.

So let's pause this. I'm going to strip it down and give parts to the above parties. After I strip it I'll do a FMV on what's left. 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
1/19/21 9:26 a.m.

Is the shifter cable bracket still there?

1/19/21 9:29 a.m.

Fmv of a chunked case is aluminum scrap price, so if the yard wants to give you $30 core for a $5 case.....

Stampie (FS)
1/19/21 11:03 a.m.

And that's how a GRM FMV thread turns into a transmission part out thread.  I'll check tonight on the shifter bracket.

Stampie (FS)
1/19/21 4:46 p.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

One dipstick and tube.

This is the shifter linkage. Is that what you want or a bracket for like a cable operated shifter?

I didn't get any further because my employer decided OT is fun plus after removing the dipstick tube I realized it's full not empty like I thought. Plus I'm lazy. 

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
1/20/21 1:58 a.m.

I will buy it. Can I pick it up in October?  I buy ecery TH400 I find and $30 is a common purchase price for a BOP.

Stampie (FS)
1/20/21 5:52 a.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

I would but Patrick has already spoken for it's guts and NOT A TA is getting some other odd bits.

Stampie (FS)
1/21/21 4:41 p.m.

I have the transmission draining so I can break it down tomorrow. 

I realized since the yard charged me for fan clutch and not a transmission clutch I need a fan clutch core. Can I get a $2 on this fan clutch?

I'm not totally sure of it's origins but from it's location in the Stampie parts horde (sitting in the bed of the K30 for who knows how long) I'm assuming it's from the old 350 SBC I blew several years ago. It's not very clutchy for a fan clutch and I spent way too much time removing it from a water pump that will never pump water again.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/21 4:49 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

I'm good for $2. 

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
1/21/21 4:55 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

That is what I was thinking, cut the bell off and use a Reid SFE bolt on housing.

If it was in my neighborhood I'd be knocking on his door.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
1/21/21 6:37 p.m.

$2.00 seems reasonable to me but I'm not a challenger if that makes a difference.

The spring loaded rod is a part of the shift linkage if it was column shifted car or  "Back Drive" used on many cars to connect the trans to the steering column if it was a console shifted car.  There would also be a small bracket to the rear side of the shift shaft for a cable if it was a floor shifted car.The small bracket is the one that goes missing.

Stampie (FS)
1/21/21 6:50 p.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

Oh yeah this is Cadillac.  None of that low rent console shift stuff.  Rich people expect the shifter on the column so that the chauffeur doesn't have to move their hand far from the steering wheel to shift.  But I'll look out for console shifted TH400s in the junkyard for you now.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
1/21/21 7:29 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to NOT A TA :

Oh yeah this is Cadillac.  None of that low rent console shift stuff.  Rich people expect the shifter on the column so that the chauffeur doesn't have to move their hand far from the steering wheel to shift.  But I'll look out for console shifted TH400s in the junkyard for you now.

AHAHAHA !!!

I had a buddy who worked at a junkyard his family owned. He'd set aside every BBC back when lots of cars were still coming in with them. Then when supply dried up he had racks and racks full of them to sell. BOP T-400's and actually any T-400 are going the same route, I suspect that's why wheels777 is collecting.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
1/22/21 4:29 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

Just don't forget the center support is bolted in with 12pt's...

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
1/22/21 4:31 p.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

I have like 6 or 7 chevy case t400's ready for rebuild. Don't think I spent more than 75$ for any of them.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hBy7cXvGHw8b8nfcvCAnsE28s2LexYHATLxSi52h2ib3kFkJUH128DHVbHo7YJJy