1 2 3
Powar
Powar Dork
11/19/12 3:41 p.m.

This is mine. I am very much affiliated.

'87 GMC Suburban Sierra Classic

It runs and drives. Always starts. Sometimes slowly, but always starts.

Seats 9.

6.2l Detroit Diesel V8 coupled to a 700R4

The crap: The biggest issue with the truck is that the trans should be rebuilt before doing any heavy towing. It still drives fine under normal use, and I use it occasionally for around town duties. The third and fourth gear clutch packs are worn, as is the norm for 700R4s. I've towed a camper and a tow dolly with random GRM-worthy junk for the past few thousand miles and the trans hasn't gotten any worse after a TV cable adjustment and a couple of fluid/filter changes to attempt to overcome previous neglect.

It leaks coolant from some sensor on the radiator. Probably a $.30 gasket. Don't know, don't have the motivation to tear into it.

Headliner is sagging badly. Original radio died a couple of weeks ago.

The good/great:

Within the six months, the fuel filter, air filter, oil, trans fluid and filter (twice!), upper and lower radiator hoses, thermostat and housing gasket and a few trim pieces have been replaced.

It drives tight and will tow just about anything (slowly). I love the look and this one has 100% solid floors. Some rocker and rear quarter rot, as these are prone to, but nothing extensive.

I'm asking $1600 OBO. Fly and drive or drag it home. It's a great truck, but could also make a great drivetrain donor for a project. Unloaded, I've gotten 18-20MPG average. ~15MPG pulling the pop-up.

Reply with any questions. Thanks!

-Tim

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
11/19/12 5:53 p.m.

Yeah, I like these. Don't need one nor do I have a spare $1,500 B4 Christmas.......still like these behemoth's.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
11/20/12 11:48 a.m.

learned to drive in an '82 4x4... I loved it... 18mpg over all the years of owning it no matter how we drove...

for the saggy headliner we tried gluing it back in and such... but ended up just pulling the entire thing, scraping off the foam and spray painting it

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
11/20/12 11:50 a.m.

For the headliner in the Nissan I've got a can or two of 3M gunk that works nicely. Where's the tank located?

Powar
Powar Dork
11/20/12 12:07 p.m.
DoctorBlade wrote: For the headliner in the Nissan I've got a can or two of 3M gunk that works nicely. Where's the tank located?

Shepherdsville, KY. 1/8th mile or so outside of Louisville.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/20/12 12:43 p.m.

Man now I wish I hadn't of bought my F150. 2WD or 4WD?

dabird
dabird Reader
11/20/12 12:48 p.m.

This used to me mine. I bought it in Tenn and drove it back to Louisville. It's a really great driving truck and really solid for this part of the country.

Nashco
Nashco UltraDork
11/20/12 2:14 p.m.

I got some of these things at Autozone or something like that, they're nicer than the typical pins I had used to hold up sagging headliners in the past and work better too:

http://www.amazon.com/Heads-Up-HU850-Stoppers-Fasteners/dp/B000CO7PPW

http://www.headsuponline.com/product-details.php?id=10

"Saggy Stoppers" in case the links don't work properly. They're tiny corkscrews with clear button heads; simple, cheap, easy, effective.

Good luck with the sale. I had one of these I converted to burn waste veggie oil a few years back and it was a great project...no speed demon, but super robust vehicle that was tons of fun when I didn't have to worry about paying for fuel. Even without free fuel, 18-20 mpg is great if you're only using it to haul occassionally.

Bryce

mtn
mtn PowerDork
11/20/12 2:51 p.m.
Nashco wrote: Good luck with the sale. I had one of these I converted to burn waste veggie oil a few years back and it was a great project...no speed demon, but super robust vehicle that was tons of fun when I didn't have to worry about paying for fuel. Even without free fuel, 18-20 mpg is great if you're only using it to haul occassionally. Bryce

I want to find one of these once I buy a house and do the same.

Powar
Powar Dork
11/21/12 7:47 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Man now I wish I hadn't of bought my F150. 2WD or 4WD?

2WD. For my uses, I didn't want the added weight/complexity... and it's what Matt sold to me.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
11/21/12 8:55 a.m.

Son of a biscuit! I wish it was 4WD. I guess this is just a bump for a desirable truck then.

Powar
Powar Dork
11/26/12 9:12 a.m.

Still have it. Let's call it $1500.

corytate
corytate Dork
11/26/12 4:35 p.m.

oh my god!
I wish I had the money for this, I've been looking for GM and Ford full size diesels lately=/

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/26/12 6:07 p.m.

I miss my 'Burb. I would love to have this.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
12/6/12 1:58 p.m.

Still no money. Free Bump!

Powar
Powar Dork
3/22/13 1:36 p.m.

Price drop. $1000 OBO

Seriously. I'm tired of looking at it and I've not put forth ANY effort to sell it beyond posting this, and talking to some craigsmorons a few months ago. The coolant leak worsened and I parked the truck. The good news is that made the source of the leak obvious: it is leaking in a spot where the right end tank meets the core. Bring a radiator (or some JB Weld. whatever.) or a trailer and take this thing home with you. The batteries are likely dead and the fuel system would probably need to be primed, but it should start with some coaxing and drive itself onto your trailer and into your heart.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/22/13 1:45 p.m.

I'm not listening to you!!!!! LALALALALALALALALALALALALA

Seriously someone grab this!

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
3/22/13 5:01 p.m.

Where's that refund when you need it?

Sil80redtop
Sil80redtop New Reader
3/22/13 5:05 p.m.

Did I miss how many miles are on it?

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
3/22/13 5:22 p.m.

Oh, if only this were a truck, and 4wd, and closer.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/22/13 5:30 p.m.

A 2wd Suburban with a full tank of gas is pretty unstoppable in the snow. My parents have had at least one Suburban since 1986, and none of them have been 4WD. The Suburban has always been their go-to winter driver in snow, and they live it CT. FWIW...

dabird
dabird Reader
3/22/13 5:38 p.m.

man, your getting close to to buy it back price

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
3/23/13 9:14 a.m.
Sil80redtop wrote: Did I miss how many miles are on it?

Looks like it had 120,000 when he added it to his garage in mid April '12. I would assume it's around 130,000 currently.

I believe this has mechanical injection...ultimate apocalypse vehicle!

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
3/23/13 9:17 a.m.

If we didn't have our Burban, I would be sourcing a radiator and heading to Kentucky!

This is a screaming deal!

Cooter
Cooter New Reader
3/23/13 4:20 p.m.

Three questions-

1) Are both the second and third row seats easily removed, leaving a flat floor? (Pretty sure they are)

B: How much cargo length is there from the back of the front seat to the tailgate? (with the front seat all the way back)

π (Who doesn't love fresh baked π ?) Do you think it can be jumped, or will it need new batteries to drive home to Chicago?

I really am serious about this, as I need to pick up a 102" long sofa in New Mexico next week and drive it back to ChiTown. The enclosed space and decent mileage might be just the ticket for this trip.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L4aYEdOMNWNNCMAvruptZCZVq7MFjolH1tHAYClkCEzIs7fCP6RPKwMKVQsf2NLb