kevinh333
kevinh333 New Reader
10/24/17 10:50 a.m.

Help, I need to ship a car from Reno NV to Mpls. MN soon.

Can anyone recommend a reliable, trustworthy and reasonably priced transport company or individual?

It's a nightmare trying to navigate through the myriad of options available on-line.

HELP!

218-839-7064

khum@crosslake.net

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition SuperDork
10/24/17 10:53 a.m.

I’ve used InterCity and Reliable in the past and been happy with both. 

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
10/24/17 11:06 a.m.

In the past couple of years I have shipped 4 cars via Uship.com.  All the cars were shipped over 1,000 miles.  I would choose the Uship version of "name your own price."  The other version are Get a Quote or Reverse Auction Quote.

Looks like your trip is 1,750 miles.  At 40 cents per mile that is $700.  I would start a Name your Own Price listing at $700 on Uship.  This will the generate messages to you from shippers saying they can do it for $900 or $850, etc.  Hold on.  Wait a few days.  Maybe enter into some dialog with the $850 shipper and counter an offer of $750, etc.  

Make sure it is very clear that your car is ready to go NOW.  What you are trying to attract is the truck that is coming your way empty and he wants a load to add NOW to spread out the costs.  

kevinh333
kevinh333 New Reader
10/24/17 11:12 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Thanks guys this helps!

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
10/24/17 11:14 a.m.

Here is the Denver based company that brought my Infiniti Q45 from Littleton, CO to Northern Ohio.  1,200 miles for $600 total.  

Top One.  I was completely happy and the equipmet/trucks were just like the ones shown in the website pictures.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
10/24/17 11:21 a.m.

Auto shipping is not a world of set rates.  It is a world where every load is negotiated separately.   If you get a price, do not be shy to counter offer a price.  What you have to sell is simplicity.  

Is the car a full runner?  Drivers charge a lot more for the hasle of non running.   Most typically the price will be so high they are more likely saying, "I don't want to do it."  

Is your car ready to go?  The driver's don't want to wait or have delays, etc.  Certainly they want you to be sure and not just "shopping a price" while you "think" you might buy a car out west.  Be a "real guy" and you will get "real prices."  

kevinh333
kevinh333 New Reader
10/24/17 11:24 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Thanks everyone, this is very helpful!

kevinh333
kevinh333 New Reader
10/25/17 7:53 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh

Is Top One a broker?

Conedodger13
Conedodger13 New Reader
10/25/17 12:43 p.m.

I just tried the u-ship thing and no one bid even close.  Mine was OK to WI with a mini truck.  Searched online and found Iron auto transport, they are a broker not a truck company.  They got me going for $650.  Called or e-mailed once a week until they had a carrier.

Lot better than U-ship that keeps their portion of your fee even if the carrier backs out, do not deal with those guys.  Iron auto refunds everything if something goes wring not your fault. 

My$.02

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tPjNQaLo5DW1Y6uSZkKbAqXVC7qDLNYwF0IjoTLEnU1GMUwivC15R1twOKlcUck6