Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/15/20 11:50 a.m.

The 350z has suspected bad timing guides. I can get a whole eBay kit with water pump for $100. I can get the chain for $11.24 at my local you pull it.  Water pump would cost me an extra $3.24.  I'm willing to bet they'd throw in the guides since they aren't in the price list.  I'm tempted especially at half budget. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/20 1:00 p.m.

I'd go junkyard if I didn't have budget room for new

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve HalfDork
3/15/20 1:04 p.m.

I guess I would lean toward a chain being new unless I found an obviously good one in the junkyard.

It's all those little wear points in a chain.

Used guides don't bother me, you can tell how much wear they have.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/20 1:24 p.m.

Do you want this car to run for the whole challenge and then dump it?

Or do you want to use it for other stuff after?

What else would you use the $80 for and how much will it improve your finishing position?

Just asking some questions to help frame your original question.

Stampie
3/15/20 3:01 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Honestly I'd probably replace with new right after it's Challenge life. I like having any extra room. Maybe the next year I could pinch enough pennies I could add a turbo or nitrous. But I like to have my base love as low as possible. Really just need someone to trade a timing set for a 350z door or hatch. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/15/20 8:34 p.m.

Why are you replacing them? Assuming it runs right now, they can be noisy all they want but it only needs to last 2 minutes of competition 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/15/20 8:36 p.m.

What would be involved in pulling the cover to verify how bad it is and making a decision from there?

Stampie
3/16/20 7:09 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Why are you replacing them? Assuming it runs right now, they can be noisy all they want but it only needs to last 2 minutes of competition 

I'm not sure it would last those 2 minutes. 

Stampie
3/16/20 7:10 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I'm going to do that. It's got 161k miles so I'm assuming it's never been changed. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
3/16/20 10:50 a.m.

I'm in this line of thinking...

Does the pump leak or is it like the Chrysler 2.4, driven by the chain/belt and a general pita to replace?

I'd find the best used guides I can procure. New chain/belt. Assemble and challenge.

Even for only "2 minutes" of challenge run time, how much will it have to run prior to ensure making it those 2 minutes?

Stampie
3/16/20 10:59 a.m.

In reply to Ranger50 :

The pump is driven by the timing chain. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/20 2:03 p.m.

Junkyard guides only.  berkeley that chain! And don't touch the pump unless it's leaking or noisy.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/16/20 2:30 p.m.

Why are the guides suspect? Is the engine making some rattling noises?

Stampie
3/16/20 2:43 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

So bad that pimpm3 and I both though rod bearings until a better mechanic heard me loading it up and said I better replace the guides real soon. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/16/20 3:19 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

That explains the killer deal. Fingers crossed for your rods.

Stampie
3/16/20 3:27 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

That sounds dirty. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/20 3:33 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

For serious though, and I know apples vs oranges, but when I did guides in my 200k E38 (BMW M62), I measured chain stretch at some ridiculously small amount. I figured the old chain and gears were pretty happy together so I only replaced guides and tensioner.  Ran like a raped ape until I sold it 6k later.  So if I was going super cheap, I'd replace guides and tensioner only.

Stampie
3/16/20 4:51 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Oh I liked your idea especially since those items aren't on their price list. That means the girls on the cash register usually just give up and let me have it. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jkf4eVKe94psh4xd0aAHdX6e6rKZe6LCHzhNjcQrzNizECWqPXRq1VPReY1Oxykq