Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
12/26/19 9:37 p.m.

I have, on a Challenge style budget, been steadily upgrading my NB Miata that i ran in '18.  No new parts except for things like the clutch and friction disc, but im curious to see what kind of difference a $4000 budget would make and honestly I'd like to show it off and hang out with online friends.  Since ive put all my effort and money this car (my daily), i wont have time or money to field a budget legal car this year and it would be fun to run knowing im just doing it for fun, times and score be damned.  Hell, ill still get beat by Wreck and Duster etc. Yall good with that?  I hope to have a build book and prices to the best of my memory for giggles too

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/27/19 7:24 a.m.

This would be the only way the Tib will be able to come back. I'd be curious as well to see what a double budget looks like with this car. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/27/19 7:36 a.m.

Similar with my 19 miata....

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/27/19 7:43 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Similar with my 19 miata....

Hmmmmm rematch?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/27/19 7:45 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Id have to draft some help before the challenge to get it back down to budget.....

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/27/19 10:37 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to bobzilla :

Id have to draft some help before the challenge to get it back down to budget.....

Mine will never be there again.... and I'm ok with that. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
12/27/19 10:42 a.m.
bobzilla said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to bobzilla :

Mine will never be there again.... and I'm ok with that. 

That's where im at, but I'd still like to see what happens to cars after the Challenge.  Mine is a daily and is built with that in mind, but what does a year or 2 and another couple grand do for a former ultra low budget racecar? 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/27/19 10:54 a.m.

I don't think it's in the spirit of the event.  The exhibition clause is more for "oh E36 M3 there's 2 weeks left and my challenge car blew up so i'm running my DD"

if you start bringing a bunch of $4000 cars for exhibition you clog up the grid for people actually competing.  

slowbird
slowbird Dork
12/27/19 12:38 p.m.

Maybe an informal "Challenge Cars: Where Are They Now" autocross could be organized? Have anyone who's interested vote on a location where they can invade the local autocross meet? (and then do flashlight drags on the runway if it happens to be held at an abandoned airport)

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/16/20 3:49 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Yeah, I gree there. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
1/28/20 12:59 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

So wait, it would "clog up the grid" more to bring a well sorted daily driven car built to race than towing a leaky, push start only E36 M3box that's been half put together in the last 5 weeks before the event with junk parts and excessive drinking around the autocross course?  My car would do everything but hold you up.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/20 1:05 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

towing a leaky, push start only E36 M3box that's been half put together in the last 5 weeks before the event with junk parts and excessive drinking around the autocross course? 

You know me so well!

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
1/28/20 1:53 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

I think you still don't understand this event. 

If that is your opinion of the event, why do you want so much to go to it?

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
1/29/20 2:06 p.m.

In reply to Cooter :

Patrick and David said they didnt want my former Challenge car with a bit of money put into it "clogging up the grid" which is ridiculous as a lot of the cars there do that with everything from unfortunate and unforeseen problems all the way to "you should have known better"

I do understand the Challenge and I asked because i want to go back and spectate and make a couple autocross runs to see how my former Challenge car stacks up to itself and the current competition and hang out.  I can cook and VERY MUCH like the free taco bar idea and would probably spend most of my time cooking, serving and helping others out with repairs.  Kinda sucks to hear "we dont want you to get in our way" when i just wanted to come help and hang out.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/29/20 2:24 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

So wait, it would "clog up the grid" more to bring a well sorted daily driven car built to race than towing a leaky, push start only E36 M3box that's been half put together in the last 5 weeks before the event with junk parts and excessive drinking around the autocross course?  My car would do everything but hold you up.

If your $4,000 car is allowed, then 2 more, or 4 more, or 10 more $4,000 cars are allowed.  Then the grid is becoming clogged.  Its not about any fluid leakage.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
1/29/20 11:35 p.m.

I guess my mistake was the thread title sounding like i wanted to throw a party?  That wasn't my intention but i couldn't change the title.  

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/30/20 8:20 a.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

You could help another team or teams before and at the Challenge. You could also see if you could Stampie rule a $2000 or less vehicle. Pimpm3’s tends to buy a bargain vehicle, run the Challenge, then sell for a profit afterwards. Many ways to make it and enjoy hanging with others. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uzvLxSqpcwljalFUzKmtY5PYJgCQ7oZVm8jFWLA0HMiyG9is5PKyvdcYXus5O9wF