1 2
bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/5/14 1:07 p.m.

I am consolidating my car collection and my trusty 240D is up next unfortunately. I got the car about 8 years ago with a bad engine and swapped a low mile (for a MB Diesel) 300D turbo engine in front of the 4 speed stick. This required a custom driveshaft that I had made by driveline service of Portland. I later designed and installed a variable geometry turbo setup using a turbo from a diesel jeep liberty. This setup gives full boost right off of idle. I have installed VDO boost and pyrometer gauges to keep tabs on the engine.

The car is lowered slightly on custom springs that were made designed and made in a limited run by Vogtland for a group buy on a Mercedes Diesel forum. When I installed the springs I re-did all the bushings and joints in the front end. I also installed a larger limo-spec rear sway bar that was the last new one in the warehouses in German (or so the Mercedes Classic Center told me when I ordered it).

All these modifications make it fast...for an old diesel Mercedes. It has no problem keeping up with modern traffic. The car is geared a bit low with the original 240D rear end ratio, but I have better ratio differential that I will include (along with a huge pile of other parts).

$2014 to members here...I will be asking a bit more from the general public.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
3/5/14 1:15 p.m.

That car would be 6500 where I am.

bgkast
3/5/14 1:17 p.m.

I forgot, it also has Glass Euro-spec headlights, and an air/water intercooler.

Here are some other Pictures: http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1800 http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1827

RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
3/5/14 1:21 p.m.

In reply to bgkast:

Correction, this would pull 8k over here. 8.5 if it had a biodiesel sticker.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
3/5/14 1:32 p.m.

It really could not be much further from me. If it's not rusty, that's a hellovadeal

bgkast
3/5/14 1:37 p.m.

Ah, but it does have a biodiesel sticker!

This year in particular is notorious for rust. When I got it the rear floors were weak, so I cut them out and welded in new floors from a non-rusty newer car of the same body style. I then por 15 coated the whole floor.

There is a a small patch of surface trustrust that recently started by a trim piece that I intend to deal with before it is sold.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
3/5/14 2:05 p.m.

In reply to bgkast:

What year is it?

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/5/14 2:09 p.m.

Good grief. That's too cool.

old_
old_ Reader
3/5/14 4:04 p.m.

Fuuuuu... do you have any better pics? The pics on peachparts are thumbnail size, can't get them enlarged.

What kind of mpgs are you seeing?

speedblind
speedblind HalfDork
3/5/14 4:18 p.m.

Is that a Washington tag? Where specifically is the car?

bgkast
3/5/14 4:19 p.m.

It's a 79. I have lots of pictures on my hard drive at home. Let me know what you want to see and what your email address is.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
3/5/14 4:25 p.m.

That is awesome! I really would love to have it but the only reasonable thing I could do is challenge it. When you say fast for an old mercedes-how fast would you guess? 1/4 mile or 0-60 seat of the pants estimates are fine.

bgkast
3/5/14 4:36 p.m.

Milage is probably in the high 20s. Everybody says these things get 30-35, but I've owned about 10 of them and not found that to be the case.

0-60 is probably in the 14 second range IIRC (not fast, but faster than the 24 second stock time).

Here are some you-tube videos of it...Watching them I'm having second thoughts about selling it, I really love this car.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bgkast?feature=watch

The video with the smoke was from a valve that tightened up after a not getting the lock-nut tight enough when adjusting them.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
3/5/14 4:57 p.m.

I would buy that just to make the CA DMV's head explode when I tried to register it.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds HalfDork
3/5/14 7:22 p.m.

Damn that's cool.

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
3/6/14 2:35 a.m.

I would FedEx you $2014 in a hot second if I could figure out how to get it pats a Nevada Smog Test. Damn.

edizzle89
edizzle89 New Reader
3/6/14 5:16 a.m.

out of curiosity, how are you controlling the vgt turbo?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
3/6/14 7:42 a.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: I would buy that just to make the CA DMV's head explode when I tried to register it.

I strongly suspect it would be your head that would explode first.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand None
3/6/14 8:00 a.m.

I need this in my life. So... Can this car make the drive to southern California?

RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
3/6/14 8:17 a.m.

In reply to yupididit:

I had an 80 model with 400k. Leaked a quart of oil per week, pissed coolant from the rad, had no rear floors. We did a 5 hour drive running on ATF and waste oil.

It'll make it to cali.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/6/14 8:45 a.m.

In reply to RoughandReady:

Ah I could fly out there and drive it back. It'll probably be sold by the time I could get that on my schedule.

bgkast
3/6/14 9:06 a.m.

I'm sure it could make it, but it would be a long drive. This car is happiest at about 50 mph with the gearing it has now.

This car should be emissions exempt I would think.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
3/6/14 9:19 a.m.

Want to deliver it to KY?

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/6/14 9:27 a.m.

I would register it with Virginia antique registration. bgkast can you send me your email? I can't pm.

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
3/6/14 1:23 p.m.
bgkast wrote: I'm sure it could make it, but it would be a long drive. This car is happiest at about 50 mph with the gearing it has now. This car should be emissions exempt I would think.

You'd think... but not in Nevada. Even if I want a "classic car" plate for it, in order to get a new Nevada registration on an out-of-state car, I'd need to get it past smog, just once.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LFVWmN5yhydVjpZ3upxCL3HXeOKHJD3rD9FsdMsaAELMln3F1A9r1qKI2pEED24d