Anybody got a relatively short 3/8" heim-jointed tie rod slash turnbuckle slash length adjuster slash whatever you want to call it? I need one for MonZora's alternator belt tensioner.  My target length (for this assembly!) is about 6-7". Yeah, I know, pretty short.

Speedway has Swedged tubes 4" long for $9, then a LH and a RH 3/8" male heim are $4 each, so I'd be into a new assembly $17 plus whatever part of tax and shipping hits the budget. Was hoping someone would want to sell me one cheap or trade me for a chunk of Corvair trunk floor or something dumb like that.

help a brother out!

thanks!

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/20 4:28 p.m.

You mean like the ones they use on a 944 to adjust the power steering and air compressor pump?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/87-89-PORSCHE-944-POWER-STEERING-PUMP-A-C-ALTERNATOR-BELT-TENSIONER-OEM/203076579131?hash=item2f484eaf3b:g:sdUAAOSwWVxfNh~d

They aren't cheap, but maybe someone has one laying around from a manual conversion or similar.

Same concept, slightly different execution.

browny333
browny333 New Spammer
9/2/20 5:54 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

you may find it at the following [canoeing] site

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/2/20 6:21 p.m.

I almost had something, but they are 5/16 and both right hand thread on all thread (adjust and then install).

Since this is a challenge car, can you use a hardware store turnbuckle with eyelets?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-16-in-x-5-1-2-in-Zinc-Plated-Turnbuckle-Eye-Eye-807006/204273923

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/20 7:24 p.m.

Look for lawn tractor parts, i have found them a good source of pieces like this

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
9/2/20 7:39 p.m.

Would one of these work? Might have to modify the ends or replace for your application. But hey you've been developing mad fab skills!  I have one a customer marked up the paint on the end of by tightening a nut. He then returned it and asked if I could make a custom one with different proportions to fit his custom application, which I did. I've changed the product slightly and don't offer it in gloss enamel anymore so it's been sitting on a shelf. I'd be proud to donate it to the project. 3/8" left & right thread all thread rod with right/left thread center section with right/left locking nuts.

https://lab-14.myshopify.com/products/adjustable-upper-control-arm-shaft-mounting-bolt-brace-for-use-with-g-braces

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/2/20 8:28 p.m.

Let me check the bin of misfit McMaster parts. I have some stuff leftover from my scrapped remote shifter project.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/20 8:36 p.m.

I used Midwest-Control the last time I had to buy rose joints.  Cheaper than some of the other options at the time.

a left and right hand tap can't be too expensive along with a piece of tubing.

Better idea:  cheap strut tower brace, cut it down keeping the reverse thread side.  Drill and tap cut off side to fit the other joint.  Done.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
9/2/20 8:58 p.m.

Hardware store turnbuckle with eyes bushed for tight fit on your fasteners?

In reply to NOT A TA :

Donate it?!?! That's exactly my price! I'll cover shipping for sure. Will probably be the only Challenge car with Lab-14 parts!  :-)

Thank you!

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
9/2/20 10:38 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to NOT A TA :

Donate it?!?! That's exactly my price! I'll cover shipping for sure. Will probably be the only Challenge car with Lab-14 parts!  :-)

Thank you!

Send me an email with full name & shipping address. laboratoryfourteen@Gmail.com. It's under the USPS first class weight limit so cheap to ship.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/20 10:54 p.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

Done. Thanks again!!!

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
9/2/20 11:59 p.m.

Packed & labeled, will go out in the AM.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/20 10:57 a.m.

Special thanks to NOTATA and Racetruck Ron for their kindness. Starting with:

I did this:

then I did this:

followed by drilling out about 3/4" of the RH female thread and welding on one of the jam nuts, which allowed me to do this:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
68hFjeiUMe3fkgezP49TtV7EQCvTMDiRkAOUrz9MlCZMTHSWIZgIfNevbPeag5Fd