1 2 3
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
8/28/20 10:40 a.m.

Normally we'd have professional drivers available for teams to use during the $2000 Challenge autocross.

Due to Covid-19, it's not looking like we'll be able to design a safe system where we can sanction strangers switching between a bunch of other strangers' cars all day. 

So here's my question: Were you planning to use them despite the Covid risk this year, and will their absence meaningfully change your plans to attend the $2000 Challenge?

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
8/28/20 10:45 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

I simply can't afford the travel cost to that event but if I did enter I definitely would want a "pro" driver 

One autocross in my lifetime?  I may have a sizesble ego and desire to race but I'm not that stupid. 

So yes your generosity of having "pro" drivers would be a big attraction. 

tb (minimally supportive)
tb (minimally supportive) GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/28/20 10:49 a.m.

I was planning on getting a pro to take at least a couple of runs around the cones. My skills have deteriorated drastically since my younger days.

It will not be a deciding factor on my attendance. I can still put together clean and satisfactory runs and honestly am not going there to win anything.

Mostly, there are several of the regulars that I consider good friends and I will miss the chance to catch up and hang out if they are not there...

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/20 11:01 a.m.

Honestly I'm a builder not a driver.  If I can get the 26 Model T ready in time no big deal wasn't going to use them anyway.  If I have to go to my back up then yeah that would make me think twice.  My thoughts are it won't affect those coming for the experience but you'll end up with a team with a great driver out performing a better car.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
8/28/20 11:07 a.m.

I need a pro. The situation should be relatively safe if the pros wear n95 masks, change gloves, and sanitize steering wheels, door pulls, etc with quality cleaning wipes. We sanitize between every patient using the same treatment table, equipment, door handles, bathrooms, and more at work and as far as I know we have not had a patient to employee or employee to patient transfer. We are an essential service and have been open since day one.

Stampie (FS)
8/28/20 11:23 a.m.

In reply to MrJoshua :

I remember being surprised at seeing how the not so hot October heat affected the pro drivers last year.  I wouldn't want them to have to do it with all that PPE.  

Stampie (FS)
8/28/20 11:24 a.m.

To add to my first responses, I totally understand not having pro drivers.  Sending a text to my ringer driver right now.

tb (minimally supportive)
tb (minimally supportive) GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/28/20 11:28 a.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

Ha, I was about to do the same thing! Then I decided that I am not too worried about it and things will work out one way or another...

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
8/28/20 11:33 a.m.

I’d prefer having a pro.  I’m still planning on showing up whether pro drivers are available or not.  

The only change in plans will be how far down we end up in the rankings laugh

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/20 11:42 a.m.
frenchyd said:

I simply can't afford the travel cost to that event but if I did enter I definitely would want a "pro" driver 

One autocross in my lifetime?  I may have a sizesble ego and desire to race but I'm not that stupid. 

So yes your generosity of having "pro" drivers would be a big attraction. 

berkeley your opinion, you'd never show up anyway.  

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/28/20 11:42 a.m.

Pro drivers are absolutely an enormous draw to me. 

I understand why they wouldn't want to do it, but it would definitely seal the deal for me not coming. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
8/28/20 11:48 a.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

Honestly I'm a builder not a driver.  If I can get the 26 Model T ready in time no big deal wasn't going to use them anyway.  If I have to go to my back up then yeah that would make me think twice.  My thoughts are it won't affect those coming for the experience but you'll end up with a team with a great driver out performing a better car.

Here's what Jaguar suspension looks like on a 27 Ford 

Stampie (FS)
8/28/20 12:22 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Why would I want to reduce my reliability with Jaguar parts?

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/20 12:26 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

To add to my first responses, I totally understand not having pro drivers.  Sending a text to my ringer driver right now.

must be a line down somewhere.  i haven't received your text yet.

8/28/20 12:28 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:
frenchyd said:

berkeley your opinion, you'd never show up anyway.  

damn, somebody in ohio needs a hug!

Stampie (FS)
8/28/20 12:56 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
Stampie (FS) said:

Just wait for it.  It'll probably get to you about the same time you get another Corvair to the Challenge.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
8/28/20 1:08 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Why would I want to reduce my reliability with Jaguar parts?

Well the Cobra used the same basic rear end as Jaguar and that 427 Ford didn't tear that up.  I've never heard of reliability problems with Jaguar suspensions. 

8/28/20 1:15 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
Stampie (FS) said:

Just wait for it.  It'll probably get to you about the same time you get another Corvair to the Challenge.

a burn so sick that i had no choice but to upvote it. well played, sir.

Stampie (FS)
8/28/20 1:27 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I love you too. heartkiss

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/28/20 1:32 p.m.

The appeal of a pro driver to me is to see where my time compares to theirs. I'd actually love to see their times kept separate in future years. I like the idea of the competition being how fast YOU can drive something that your team built.  

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
8/28/20 2:03 p.m.

I won't be there anyway, but I'd welcome a "no pro" competition just because I think I can hold my own on an autocross course. I'd go get some practice beforehand at local SCCA events to hone my skills,too. I could also bring my own ringer if I felt the need.

8/28/20 2:55 p.m.

LOLs at multiple posts of "no pro" followed by "personal ringer".  like rollins said, you're not seeking your freedom. you're just the kept wishing he was the keeper.

i'd like to see results sorted by pro vs joe.  also, cue alfadriver telling us he set FTD in 2004.  ;-)

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
8/28/20 3:02 p.m.

Thanks for the feedback, everybody. 

To clarify, you're all welcome to bring whatever drivers you want, share drivers, etc., and I don't mind sharing our pro's contact info, but there wouldn't be a bullpen of drivers waiting to jump in cars. 

wae
wae UltraDork
8/28/20 3:05 p.m.

In my head I suddenly have an image of the claw game from Toy Story but instead of toy aliens, a bunch of Stigs.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/28/20 3:07 p.m.

Meh. I don't think "Pro vs Joe" would mean much. 

There have been plenty of top finishes by team members much more recently than 2004, and lots of teams (including mine) have included nationally competitive drivers on their team rosters which would show on any chart as a "Joe" instead of a "Pro". 

That's WHY the pros were made available. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
giJ24GH2A3i8L1hPAi6SUnZB4u17jyOrP6biJFo4gqubMv3A6IkRlPD7GtgwA6oK