1 2
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
12/19/18 7:45 a.m.

Quick question- what's the oldest vehicle ever entered in the GRM challenge?  Asking for no real reason.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/19/18 7:57 a.m.
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/19/18 8:07 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
12/19/18 8:11 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I love that car, I remember reading about it in the magazine and going "why don't more people do that sort of thing?"

Years later, more people are doing that sort of thing.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/18 9:58 a.m.

If jon’s 49 is the oldest I won’t bring anything older out of respect 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/19/18 10:08 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I'm not sure you have to do that.  In 2008 Jon brought a '49 or a 59 yr old car 

Looking toward the year 2020 even if you brought a car from 1960 it could be an "older car" 

I was not there for the 49er but this and cars like it are from that very formidable era for me where I said, "I gotta get there some day!"  The car left an impression on me. 

Pat, don't let those impressions and inspirations end. Build the best Challenge Car you car! 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/19/18 10:20 a.m.

The 49er was a great car, and Jon was one of the best we’ve had. 

I miss those days. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/19/18 10:23 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I think Jon would be proud for you to bring something older. 

If he set a bar worth targeting, he’d be proud to know it. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/19/18 10:43 a.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to Patrick :

I'm not sure you have to do that.  In 2008 Jon brought a '49 or a 59 yr old car 

Looking toward the year 2020 even if you brought a car from 1960 it could be an "older car" 

I was not there for the 49er but this and cars like it are from that very formidable era for me where I said, "I gotta get there some day!"  The car left an impression on me. 

Pat, don't let those impressions and inspirations end. Build the best Challenge Car you car! 

If that's the math wouldn't Calvin's stude put a run on the title in $2016 (was it a 56?)

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/19/18 10:47 a.m.

I think the point was “what is the oldest model year car”, not a sliding scale of which had been around the most years. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/18 11:16 a.m.

Im dropping and LT1 into this and claiming the title. 

Stampie
12/19/18 11:52 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

All the rule nannies just cringed and said not a four wheel production vehicle.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
12/19/18 12:24 p.m.

1800's?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/19/18 12:27 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Quick question- what's the oldest vehicle ever entered in the GRM challenge?  Asking for no real reason.

You should get that!  I have a pipe dream of a car eligible for both the Challenge and the Race of Gentlemen. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/19/18 12:30 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to pinchvalve :

All the rule nannies just cringed and said not a four wheel production vehicle.

I've often wondered, did someone show up in a reliant robin one year or are they trying to prevent it from happening?

Robbie
12/19/18 12:55 p.m.
Ian F said:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

You should get that!  I have a pipe dream of a car eligible for both the Challenge and the Race of Gentlemen. 

We're listening...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
12/19/18 1:27 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

I encountered something like this in the wild, but even more minimalist.  It had what looked like the original 4cyl, nothing on it that didn't need to be there, and was awesome.  I think I could maybe squeak one out under challenge budget as long as I'm not too worried about originality or period correctness. 

Robbie
12/19/18 1:51 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Something like that would be sick. Especially if you didn't trailer it to the challenge...

Stampie
12/19/18 1:53 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Most of that body isn’t needed. A speedster would be lighter and period correct. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/20/18 1:59 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Most of that body isn’t needed. A speedster would be lighter and period correct. 

At my second or third autox ever, someone showed up with one of these - same color even - but wasn’t allowed to run due to no seatbelts. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
12/20/18 2:05 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

How are you supposed to be thrown clear if you have those stupid things?

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
12/20/18 2:16 p.m.

For a while there was a “parade” car replica of one of these on the local Craigslist for $1995 that I was tempted by.

Something like this could probably be had for close to challenge money. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
12/20/18 3:13 p.m.
Andy Neuman said:

For a while there was a “parade” car replica of one of these on the local Craigslist for $1995 that I was tempted by.

Something like this could probably be had for close to challenge money. 

For 2 grand I would have bought that to go 7-11

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
1/7/19 10:00 a.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

The total lack of any safety gear makes me cringe. But seeing a cage added to that would also be cringeworthy. 

Stampie
1/7/19 10:08 a.m.

In reply to Greg Smith :

Hence the fight I've been having in my head the last few weeks.  I think I've settled on a simple rear body work that can hide everything except the actual roll bar.  At least for the Model A since it'll likely have a Cadillac 472. The T being much slower will only get seat belts.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VrW4kE8NEmupcaRzQrqo0imFIWXaWxU3mfRI74DzbiamrS9QdRrmiLYg5UhF6bCl