AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
4/19/19 3:03 p.m.

Hypothetically let's say I paid $250 for a '99 Jetta and used $300 worth of parts on my 2000 New Beetle (non-Challenge car). Does that mean that anything left on the '99 Jetta is $0 on my budget for the '91 Golf, or do I need to find FMV? ...and I have a couple other scrapped cars that are also zeroed out that may donate parts too?

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/19/19 4:58 p.m.

I'm no scientologist, but I expect you must FMV parts. Maybe someone more knowledgeable /s marter will chime in

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/20/19 11:10 a.m.

The current rules would dictate $250 into your budget then “sell yourself” $250 in parts for the beetle.  Provide compelling proof for your price claim and recoup the $250 so anything off the jetta is free towards the golf, and you have $750 left to recoup. 

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
4/20/19 3:56 p.m.
Patrick said:

... Provide compelling proof for your price claim and recoup the $250 so anything off the jetta is free towards the golf, and you have $750 left to recoup

That right there is the part that makes sense of it for me. I knew that it could be recouped and somehow limited. So, if in my example, I used parts off a $1,000 parts car, or two $500 parts cars (that were fully recouped in value) it would be $0 on my budget, but max out my recoup. A cheap part off of an expensive parts car would be better to use at FMV.  To track it, I'll make a tracking sheet for each parts car I may use, showing what it cost and what went where, then feed those sheets into my Challenge car budget.

Hopefully that makes sense the way I said it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mYP2WYftXyJeirpZTVqt1xwOl782M6SXhprcg9i1Jlc4waTuyKwGW7e3zY6bthj1