1 2
tb (minimally supportive)
tb (minimally supportive) GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/25/20 12:54 p.m.

I haven't even started on the car yet, but at this point I think I can commit to entering this year. Obviously, it is something that I have thought over and I figure that it will be just fine...

I'm in the main line burbs and I have room, tools, time, money, a car and a plan. I do not have extraordinary skills or unlimited energy. I might tow the car down or just drive it, either way I will have room and use of at least one teammate. 

I can cover entry fees, hotel and gas. You should contribute help wrenching as possible, driving duties, presentation input and aid dealing with whatever inevitable random E36 M3 comes up...

I don't build to win anything, rather I build the car that I want to bring myself. Should be a solid mid pack effort and a strong gastropod entry. Of course, plans are always subject to change at any moment.

If anyone is looking to get involved, please just let me know. I am relatively tolerable to deal with for a few days and it should be plenty of fun. My plan is to finalize my build budget, start ordering parts and register soon.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/20 12:31 p.m.

I promise that tb won't bite most likely.

8/27/20 12:57 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

Yeah, most likely...

I know it is a long shot since most people here know I'm kinda an shiny happy person and many are avoiding social gatherings. On the other hand, i also know that the easiest way for most to get involved is to team up with an old veteran...

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/20 12:03 a.m.

In reply to tb (minimally supportive) :

You & captaindownshift aren't too far apart, you guys should definitely team up this year!

trumant (Forum Supporter)
trumant (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/28/20 7:22 a.m.

Pretty sure that my mechanic skills are insufficient to make a particularly successful second, but if you find someone I'm happy to join in as a third and turn wrenches.

8/28/20 8:00 a.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

You & captaindownshift aren't too far apart, you guys should definitely team up this year!

Good thinking, thanks. I am not sure what he is thoughts are on the subject, but I'll probably had a chance to talk with him on Tuesday. 

8/28/20 8:07 a.m.

In reply to trumant (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks, it would be great to have all the input and support that I can. 

My skills are not exceptional and therefore it will not be a crazy build, more like a refresh with some bolt on. Also, there is a lot more to do than just wrenching.

Between detailing, organizing, keeping records, build thread, presentation planning, getting creative and just bench racing i welcome any kind of involvement. 

You can always call or text me anytime since we are practically neighbors. 

2 one 5 2 eight 0 0 seven three 0

trumant (Forum Supporter)
trumant (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/28/20 4:57 p.m.

So happy that I saw this post this morning and looking forward to meeting you tb

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/20 7:30 p.m.
trumant (Forum Supporter) said:

Pretty sure that my mechanic skills are insufficient to make a particularly successful second, but if you find someone I'm happy to join in as a third and turn wrenches.

One of the greatest things about the Challenge is teaching you that you have mechanical skills you just didn't know about.  Plus you have the added advantage here in that berk it it's not your car.  If you berk up it's tb's problem not yours.  It's all nuts and bolts and metal that can be put back together again.

8/28/20 8:52 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

Sometimes I cannot tell if you are a smart man or a fool... either way, you are correct.

cheeky

11/27/20 1:49 p.m.

Bumping this up early because I already have a new car for next year. I have never started so far in advance and it is a car that I have no experience with and an ecu that I have no experience with!

So what i actually have is a pile of parts, lots of questions and some hopes and dreams... but a better tow vehicle and trailer setup means plenty of room for a teammate or two and enough work to go around.

Top 10 potential, depending on who else shows up!

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
11/28/20 8:55 a.m.

I wish we were on the same side of the state. I'm over by Pittsburgh. 

11/28/20 11:10 a.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

Yeah, having driven back and forth across this commonwealth many, many times I generally describe it as a long, boring and thankless slog. The PA turnpike just sucks!

If you ever find yourself this way your are still more than welcome to hang out, look at tools and pretend to work; I do that almost every day!

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/28/20 11:53 a.m.

Drat.  While Scotty Con Queso is on the other side of the state, I'm on the other side of Philadelphia (lower Bucks), which is about the same drive time. 

11/28/20 12:08 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

Agreed, so close and yet so far. Honestly less than an hour, but a pretty crappy hour of driving in between us.

Although, the new car would appeal to your love of tiny little roadsters and the easiest way to get into the challenge is to have a veteran drag you down there and then the atmosphere infects you and ultimately converts you...

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/28/20 1:27 p.m.

One of mine should be close enough to ready to go by the end of the month (sans boost, but that's the easy part of the equation) enough that I'm just saying that we should do BMC autocross events in 2021 to shake down the cars and work on set-up for next year's challenge. And running a few times at Cecil or Atco is also likely a solid idea. 

11/28/20 7:00 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

I think that is a solid plan. My car is a literal basket case right now, but the hardest part of putting back together is really just sorting out the parts pikes.

Both Cecil County and Atco are where I spent a lot of my early years and it has been too long since I have been back, so count me in. In theory, my car will magically tune itself with a few runs and a day of autocross but that is only if I don't break it in the process...

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/18/20 6:01 a.m.

Definitely a cool opportunity for someone but I'm probably just too far to pitch in much. I am minutes from Cecil if you do any T&T I can easily stop by for a hand.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/18/20 12:26 p.m.

In reply to Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) :

Do you know of anyone at Cecil who can sign off on getting NHRA certified/licensed? I'd rather not get kicked off track after my first pass at the challenge. The Nelson's aren't too far away, but I don't know if they normally go to Cecil, Maple Grove or Mason Dixon. 

12/18/20 12:40 p.m.

Much appreciated. I am the type that really likes to focus on racing while at the track and having extra hands around would be a big help. I'll be sure to post up any plans once I get the car together.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/6/21 7:55 a.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

Do you know of anyone at Cecil who can sign off on getting NHRA certified/licensed? I'd rather not get kicked off track after my first pass at the challenge. The Nelson's aren't too far away, but I don't know if they normally go to Cecil, Maple Grove or Mason Dixon. 

Plan to run a 9.99 or lower out of the gate? Usually not hard to get license passes in, just call the track first for a t&t and let them know. They can arrange the rest. Hardest part is your car needs to be able to run the et/mph as well. 

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/22/21 2:06 p.m.

Bumping this up again in case anyone is on the fence or is jonesing for garage wrench turning time.

I have made major progress on my car, but have most recently hit a patch of backsliding. There is still some suspension work to tweak and electrical gremlins driving me nuts. And much tuning along with odds and ends.

And I have moved (still on the Main Line outside Philly) into a house with a two car garage, but am still very much in the process of unboxing and organizing stuff. If anyone wants to help put up lights and organize shelves they will, of course, be rewarded with beer and pizza...

Lastly, we are all vaccinated here so bench racing and pretending to fix junk is fairly safe!

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
7/22/21 2:09 p.m.

If I were up that way, I'd definitely come help out. Parking lot build?

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/22/21 2:34 p.m.

In reply to Derick Freese :

If you ever get up this way, you are always welcome anytime. 

I will have this car (at least in its initial form) finished before it comes time to head down, so hopefully no parking lot work needed... burnouts,er, I mean tuning, in front of the Harley dealership may be required, though...

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/17/21 4:43 p.m.

Small update for anyone interested.

The garage is mostly done, the car is mostly done, but unfortunately I am also mostly done. I do not think I will be able to compete this year due to my poor health.

The only things keeping me moving at this point are healthy doses of painkillers, anti convulsants and the lies that I tell myself... I will probably be able to come spectate.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m50m1FcX7sRy4YvFfhshFbnGgQr8QCw6w0U6X5XSHAKIiGL5Px8GwKP1D6VP8Lwi