1 2 3
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/2/20 10:59 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Cowboy boots make everything better.  I'm sexy as hell naked with cowboy boots.  Not so much without.

Thanks. Now I'm totally picturing you answering the door like this if I ever stop by. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/3/20 8:33 a.m.

I have answered the door like that sans hat.  I'm a firm believer in letting me know you're coming first.

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
6/3/20 7:55 p.m.
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) said:
Stampie (FS) said:

I feel special that I got pictures of this earlier today.  Am I the only one that thinks pimpm3 secretly wants to grow a mullet?

Stampie, I could not grow one if I wanted too laugh

Try the bald head/ponytail look. Throw a bunch of gold (ish) chains and pilot glasses in the mix. Better with a 80's 'Vette, but would work in a IROC as wellsurprise

Does look like a good deal, even with unknown miles.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/3/20 9:26 p.m.

So after work,  but before I got called out to work the protest response I stopped by the lot and looked the car over.

It started up and ran with good oil pressure.  The maf was not hooked up and it looks like it has seen better days.

I took the battery home to charge it, since it was completely dead.

I found the build codes for the car and verified that it is in fact an IROC z28.  I suspected that it was but verifying it via the codes was nice.  That means it has a disc rear end and some other upgrades over a regular z28.

It needs a few things, obviously.  The drivers seat is a little wonky, its missing the dash pad and the headliner is missing.

Overall I am extremely happy with it and feel it will make an excellent challenge platform.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/3/20 9:37 p.m.
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) said:
Andy Neuman said:

Mullet ok  

jorts not ok

Says the guy in the red flannel...

Technically, not wearing jorts.

Stampie (FS)
6/4/20 10:58 a.m.

G80 is limited slip.  Now I don't know how good they actually were but better than nothing.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
6/4/20 11:07 a.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

I imagine after 33 years of hard use it is probably wore out.  Still has to be better than a completely open diff.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Dork
6/5/20 4:59 a.m.

Congrats on the great buy and Challenge car. I had a family member with a 305 TPI 5 speed IROC - and was able to drive it a few times. The car was fun to drive.

It looks like someone recently repainted the car.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
6/6/20 11:48 a.m.

I made a run to deland today to pick up the race tires from last year's challenge car.  The guy who purchased it got new tires and kept the Hankooks for me.

I will take free 255/40r17 tires all day long every time, even if I had to spend my morning driving.

On the way home I stopped at the LKQ in Daytona.  I picked up a cracked dash pad and a manual seat rail for $21.22 after tax.

Factory seat is now secure, and a cracked dash allows for a replacement cap after the challenge.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
6/6/20 12:21 p.m.

A G80 and G92, 305 5-speed car, good find. Next best setup behind the 1LE cars. 350 swap would make it even more fun.

If I remember correctly, a 90-92 car would have the baffled 1LE fuel tank, helps in autox and track stuff, stock tank starts having issues just below 1/2 tank. Otherwise just keep the fuel level higher.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
6/7/20 12:32 p.m.

Battery was completely dead.  I tried to charge it but it was showing 4 volts.

Walmart to the rescue.  Battery was 2 years old and they swapped it out for free!  Score...

Then I took my 9 year old son Asher to the go cart track because it was raining.  It's his second time going but he picked it up really quickly, and was getting faster each time.  

I was a proud papa!

Stampie (FS)
6/7/20 1:12 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) :

I need to take Lil Stampie to Autobahn.  To drive in the adult carts is it a height thing or an age thing?

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
6/7/20 1:18 p.m.

Over 13 for adult carts and a minimum height.

Well done on all counts, Pimp!

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
6/7/20 5:15 p.m.

Decision time. 

I picked up the 255/40r17 Hankook RS4's from last years challenge car.  They have plenty of tread and they were free.  They will clearly not fit on the 16 inch IROC wheels.  I would love to buy a set of tires for the Camaro to use in the challenge but the selection of 245 16 inch tires leaves much to be desired.

The easy,  free choice is to mount the Hankooks to wheels that I already own.

In 5x120 17 inch wheels I have 7 17x9.5 c4 wheels.

I also have 8 style 5 BMW wheels that I acquired in a parts purchase last year that I have zeroed out.  4 have tires and are refinished.  4 need to be refreshed.

I also have a set of c5 5 spoke wheels. But the rears are 18 and I would need tires.

All would need some sort of a spacer to fit to the car.  I have several different width ones from the s10.  The BMW wheels are actually the closest to the Camaro offset.

I am kind of leaning towards the BBS.  I honestly love the IROC wheels and if they offered a decent tire in a size that would fit I would go that route but they don't.

Thoughts?

The C4 and BMW wheels are both pretty rad, use whichever set makes the most sense. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
6/7/20 6:52 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

The C4 and BMW wheels are both pretty rad, use whichever set makes the most sense. 

I second this sentiment.

trumant
trumant GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/7/20 6:56 p.m.

C4s are like an inch wider right? They certainly have more of an IROC aesthetic, though I'm really curious what the Style 5s would look like on it.

John Brown (Forum Supporter)
John Brown (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/20 7:05 p.m.

I personally have installed a L98 aluminum headed long block in place of a 5.0 with zero reprogramming or major mods other than a GMPP fuel pressure kit. It was silly quick.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/7/20 7:07 p.m.

I love this car. I say C4 sawblades. 

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
6/7/20 7:17 p.m.
trumant said:

C4s are like an inch wider right? They certainly have more of an IROC aesthetic, though I'm really curious what the Style 5s would look like on it.

The style 5's look kind of like the GTA wheels, just bigger.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/7/20 7:34 p.m.

Either set of wheels.  They are both titties.

Stampie (FS)
6/7/20 7:42 p.m.

I say style 5's.  I was leaning to the sawblades until I saw the pictures.  

Sawblades. Always. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/7/20 8:08 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

I say style 5's.  I was leaning to the sawblades until I saw the pictures.  

And you would be wrong. It's ok. We all make mistakes occasionally. cheeky

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
t2LVKFGiC3Xon6gSjD0ZFby1DqgNTL272rOBXlL6DLAeburuXA5xXairPBcyST3T