1 2
Mental
Mental Mod Squad
9/7/13 11:41 p.m.

I suppose for the sake of my marrige thats a good thing, but dangit!

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/8/13 1:24 p.m.

You did the right thing, that car has poor sleeping arrangements.

Slow_M
Slow_M None
12/29/19 12:33 p.m.

Hi all, 

I bought this little gem a couple of weekends ago.  Needs a battery, some heim joints replaced, fuel leaks sorted, and then, there'll be time for deeper investigation. 

Meanwhile, if any of you have contact info, for the OP, please share it with me via PM. 

B

Slow_M
Slow_M New Reader
12/29/19 9:28 p.m.

In reply to Slow_M :

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/19 1:53 p.m.

Very cool! Wasn't this posted in the for sale section a bit more recently too?

Robbie
12/30/19 1:56 p.m.
Robbie
12/31/19 9:47 a.m.
Robbie said:

Very cool! Wasn't this posted in the for sale section a bit more recently too?

Yep, it was:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/nmna-killer-little-1971-legrand-race-car-porsche-engine/161417/page1/

Slow_M
Slow_M New Reader
1/4/20 4:22 p.m.

Robbie, 

Thanks for posting the link to the newer thread. That was actually the CL post I bought it from. 

I'm still looking for the previous owners, hoping that someone will have set-up info, for chassis geometry, etc.

Still, Considering how shoddily it was put together, I'm no longer sure that I care about what previous owners did or thought.

I've been in touch with Bill Lomenick, who originally built the chassis, with a 1,000cc Kawasaki air-cooled four, and he confirmed, that the front suspension geometry was based on LeGrand. I'm going to try to get the front end set-up for some of the Mk18 cars, and use that as a starting point. If any of you have it handy, PLEASE chime in. 

Meanwhile, just for fun, how many errors can you spot in the way the engine mounting plate is installed?

Bernard.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/4/20 9:23 p.m.

What's the wheelbase of that car?  

Crazy thinking- if it's the right wheelbase, after going back down to 2.0l, make it a DM car with a decent body.

Slow_M
Slow_M New Reader
1/5/20 1:37 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

It's approximately 80.5". 

That IS crazy. It would have to carry about 230lb ballast to make the class minimum 1,280lb, incl. driver. Currently, it has what we, today, might look at "vintage" rotors and calipers, but I'm sure they work well enough, on a light car. 

To be honest, I don't intend to make many changes to it. It's a pretty exquisite little car, as it sits; especially, now that it's receiving the TLC that's been lacking, for what was apparently quite a long time. When it was initially screwed together, Bill Lomenick must have taken great care. 

B

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/5/20 2:01 p.m.

In reply to Slow_M :

So if you find yourself uncompetitive in BM, the wheelbase of a Fiat 850 Spider is 80".  And based on the rules, you can convert a rear engined car to mid- so your layout would only require the Fiat body.  Since DM is the closest weight to your car, you would have to put in a 2.0l engine....

Still, you have a fun car to play with in BM.   I look forward to your build thread for entertainment.

Robbie
1/7/20 8:30 a.m.

Yeah, really cool. I probably would have bought that if it weren't 3/4 country away.

I too am excited to watch the build/Restoration.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/8/20 12:51 p.m.
Slow_M said:

In reply to alfadriver :

It's approximately 80.5". 

That IS crazy. It would have to carry about 230lb ballast to make the class minimum 1,280lb, incl. driver. Currently, it has what we, today, might look at "vintage" rotors and calipers, but I'm sure they work well enough, on a light car. 

To be honest, I don't intend to make many changes to it. It's a pretty exquisite little car, as it sits; especially, now that it's receiving the TLC that's been lacking, for what was apparently quite a long time. When it was initially screwed together, Bill Lomenick must have taken great care. 

B

Since this car fascinates me, for reasons I've brought up- I did a quick look up of your min weight. According to the SCCA rule book:

"5.May use any engine up to 3000 cc.
•Minimum weight with driver (lbs.): ........................................1285"

The next lower displacement break is 1615cc, so your car with that motor has to be 1285 w/driver.

For DM, the base weight for under 1800cc motor is 1280lb, over that is 1380lb, and this since this would certainly be a "modified" tub, add 40l- so 1320 for sub 1800cc N/A, 1420lb for all other motors up to 2000cc.

So the car's current weight limit is very close to the possible weight limits.

Given the car's layout, and the tight packaging the transaxle allows, seems to me the only other reasonable engine choice other than a P/VW boxer or a Subie boxer would be a Rotary. BM allows the 12A to be 1180lb, DM lets the 12A be 1280, and the 13B be 1380lb- both with porting restrictions.

I do hope you start a full build thread or something like that- it seems like such a cool car.

Slow_M
Slow_M New Reader
1/11/20 12:47 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

The more I look at it, the more things I find wrong. Some worn out heim joints, bent parts, and others poorly made and/or installed. The engine plate, for instance, had so many mistakes, that it took most of a day to fix. Afterward, it made me happy to know, that the engine was located more securely. 

Slow_M
Slow_M New Reader
7/9/20 11:58 p.m.
1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gKr7xrL4Hzt4qt5BOHJgz2P2fR6cdWQGSwirOar0D7jPmtFWHrlHaZ1MpEwJZNFJ