bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/25/19 6:20 a.m.

Do I have to claim the core charge on the engine if since I'm not taking it back? It's only $50 and not worth the 4 hours of driving round trip to return. Plus, I am using it as a teaching tool for some of our newer analysts that have never seen an OHC engine torn down and how everything works. I guess I could find a way to get work to pay me back the $50 if need be but I'd rather just donate my time and core to help new people learn what they're commenting on the used oil reports. 

I did the same thing last fall with the old truck engine and it was a big success. 2 of them now understand what they're seeing in regards to wear metals and why they're there. If I ever get my hands on a transmission there's even more demand to learn what they look like as well.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/25/19 12:58 p.m.

I'd say you can sell the engine to yourself, a friend, your work, or the supplier for the $50 core.

Have one part included in budget. Buy another for $100+$50 core. Now have two parts and $150 added to budget. Return one part for core, recoup $50. (Doesn't matter who you return it to really). Now you have one new part and $100 cost.

It does beg a good question if core is considered against the recoup limit or not though. Might be in the rules.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/25/19 1:12 p.m.

I looked through the rules but didn't see anything on the core. I'll look again. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/25/19 3:02 p.m.

I was told in 2016 that core charges count unless the core is turned in.  But with current “sell to yourself” rules i would, as a fellow competitor, accept that you “sold the core to yourself” on paper then donate to whatever you were going to do

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/25/19 3:18 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

In theory market valve is even set on the receipt with the core price line.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/25/19 3:34 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Patrick :

This is the big thing. Sell it to yourself with that as the FMV. Documentation is king. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/25/19 3:42 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:
Stampie said:

In reply to Patrick :

This is the big thing. Sell it to yourself with that as the FMV. Documentation is king. 

WAIT... what? This is a little confusing. I know I'm going to be under budget regardless, even if I count the core and all the maintenance parts that don't count (plugs, wires, belts, hoses, gaskets) as I'm at $949 right now including everything. If I only count engine + purchase + headers I'm at $759. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/25/19 8:50 p.m.

Why wouldn't the maintenance parts count toward budget?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/26/19 6:41 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Gastropod rules allow gaskets and tuneup items to not be included in overal budget. I’m keeping tabs both ways in case I get a wild hair and go with some sticky 225’s for the wheels I have. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/26/19 7:37 a.m.

Gastropod rules can't/don't supercede the regular rules. Sub classes can only have stricter rules. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/19 9:09 a.m.

Stamps is correct, you still need to play by the overall ruleset.  Seth’s little experiment turned huge thing ruleset is an addendum and does not supersede the rules of the event.  

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/26/19 10:19 a.m.

The Gastropod rules are really just a way to control recoup and excessive shenanigans. You still need to stay within budget, and the maintenence items aren't free but you can recoup for $200 of them. 

Unless somebody tells me that I wrote something different than that. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/26/19 12:31 p.m.

I’m still planning total cost including registration and insurance to be under the total $2k budget. Most of what I have left is labor. Putting the bits and baubles together, and cleaning/polishing/make pretty with hard work. The big ticket items I have planned for the fall are already purchased and accounted for. That was the engine, belts, hoses plugs and wires. If I come across a suspension setup for the right price great. But if not no worries. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hO45StwRI0149Ws1E945ZAu1iQTXah6HozLbBJcNokjkLqrltUTcS1AvnSFVmpvi