mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
10/22/14 3:33 p.m.

NMNA...........

1992 SL2 in NC for $400 needs manual shifter cable re-attached. Seems to be a simple fix according to highly trusted and reliable sources( ie the InterWebz ).

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/4690218751.html

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
10/22/14 4:05 p.m.

That's a great Lemons car for someone.

I picked up one like this with a similar listing. Replaced the clutch master in the parking lot and drove it away. My sister continued to drive it for 4 years during college, then discarded it when she graduated.

markwemple
markwemple Reader
10/22/14 4:38 p.m.

Had a friend who had a motor go on one. Threw a rod. Damn block looked like metallic styrofoam.

mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
10/22/14 5:06 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: That's a great Lemons car for someone. I picked up one like this with a similar listing. Replaced the clutch master in the parking lot and drove it away. My sister continued to drive it for 4 years during college, then discarded it when she graduated.

Whats the magic cure for oil usage on these? MMO in the cylinders?

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/22/14 6:35 p.m.

In reply to mrwillie:

More oil.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
10/22/14 9:09 p.m.

Yup, more oil.

MMO/ATF/etc. in the cylinders will free up the rings and reduce it, but almost never restore it to no-burning. The real cure is drilling drainback holes in the pistons behind the oil-control rings. And running synthetic like was originally intended.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
10/22/14 9:28 p.m.

Might be a shifter bushing on the base of the shifter. That'll leave ya stranded

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/23/14 10:53 a.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: Might be a shifter bushing on the base of the shifter. That'll leave ya stranded

Yup. It's a known weak point in the cars and anyone with an older Saturn should probably pick up one of the improved shifter bushings for about $20 and keep it in the car. I believe you can temporarily fix it with a zip tie or two.

Once I finish and sell the Prius, Saturns with this issue are very high on my watch list to snag on the cheap, fix, and re-sell...

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
10/23/14 12:22 p.m.
Ashyukun wrote: Once I finish and sell the Prius, Saturns with this issue are very high on my watch list to snag on the cheap, fix, and re-sell...

For flipping, I'd be more inclined to look for automatics with a "bad transmission". Tighten the input shaft nut ($0) and replace the valve body if necessary ($100-150), then sell.

mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
10/23/14 12:24 p.m.

Other than sticky rings, what are the other normal areas to fail on these?

Ashyukun
10/23/14 12:58 p.m.
mrwillie wrote: Other than sticky rings, what are the other normal areas to fail on these?

The original ECTS had a plastic body and was very prone to failure- all of the aftermarket ones have metal bodies and are far more durable. The shifter bushing this one has an issue with is also very common. The rings/oil burning is a known 'issue' but one that is very easily addressed by simpy keeping the oil topped up- the engines are pretty solid and durable as long as you don't let them run out of oil. The upper/side engine torque mount has a habit of going out faster than the others.

Ashyukun
10/23/14 12:59 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
Ashyukun wrote: Once I finish and sell the Prius, Saturns with this issue are very high on my watch list to snag on the cheap, fix, and re-sell...
For flipping, I'd be more inclined to look for automatics with a "bad transmission". Tighten the input shaft nut ($0) and replace the valve body if necessary ($100-150), then sell.

Interesting, mine was a stick so I didn't know about that. Would make this an interesting one to snag if it's still around (doubtful) once the Prius is gone- http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/4702603718.html

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
10/23/14 1:20 p.m.
Ashyukun wrote:
ProDarwin wrote:
Interesting, mine was a stick so I didn't know about that. Would make this an interesting one to snag if it's still around (doubtful) once the Prius is gone- http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/4702603718.html

Ehh. Sounds like that has engine problems as well. Given the mileage, I can't imagine you'd make enough $ off fixing that to make it worth your while.

Ashyukun
10/23/14 1:59 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
Ashyukun wrote:
ProDarwin wrote:
Ehh. Sounds like that has engine problems as well. Given the mileage, I can't imagine you'd make enough $ off fixing that to make it worth your while.

Perhaps. This would be an even better candidate if it weren't prohibitively far away... http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/4669894885.html

If it has what you described wrong with the transmission and just needs new rear brake hardware it would be very cheap to fix.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
10/23/14 2:22 p.m.

Yup. That one is a little cleanup + a couple parts away from a $1500+ sale

Cooter
Cooter Reader
10/25/14 6:26 a.m.
mrwillie wrote: Other than sticky rings, what are the other normal areas to fail on these?

Cracked heads on the single cams.

Look for oil in the coolant recovery tank. The reason the engine looks like Styrofoam is because they were cast with a lost foam technique.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
10/25/14 6:47 p.m.
Cooter wrote:
Cracked heads on the single cams.

True, but buying a SOHC at all now is a failure. Really low power output/performance when a used DOHC is basically the same price. Pre '95 SOHC is downright embarrassing (85hp)

Cooter
Cooter Reader
10/25/14 8:48 p.m.

I loved the 42 MpG with my '01 SL

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BGSTi8EFohZHX25jRLoBOrTFKqKJHftRK9HxgOVnxD9QiX2Rmqo5qKWNYVZQGkot