Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/16/20 10:32 a.m.

So, the 300Ci I got for solidly cheaper than I should have and am debating bringing to the Challenge this year has an open recall on it for the passenger airbag. I don't remember seeing anything in the past regarding how recall repairs are handled in the Challenge budget- am I correct in assuming that the recall doesn't count at all? It won't cost me anything, and is something that is available to anyone with the same vehicle. And of course not having an airbag that might explode and shower the occupants in metal shards, while desirable in 'not getting killed by a factory-installed IED in a minor accident' way doesn't really have any impact on the car's performance.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
3/16/20 10:41 a.m.

Recalls are "free" to customers. So it should be "free" towards the budget.

Now if I say had a Dakota that had the ball joint recall performed it would be free but now there bad again, what if I "buy" the recall part vs the same oe part numbered part? There is a huge price difference for the same part.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/16/20 10:50 a.m.

"You got what you wanted, Cohagen. Give dees people spares! "

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
3/16/20 4:19 p.m.

Just get the danged airbag turned claymore mine fixed!    

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/16/20 4:52 p.m.

Yes, recalls are free because they're free. 

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
3/16/20 6:30 p.m.

Now if I say had a Dakota that had the ball joint recall performed it would be free but now there bad again, what if I "buy" the recall part vs the same oe part numbered part? There is a huge price difference for the same part.

I don't have a stake in it either way but im curious to know about this one. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
3/16/20 8:22 p.m.

In reply to Vigo :

Recall parts are stupid cheap vs the new upgraded part numbers from Chrysler. I'm talking $15 for both upper ball joints vs $60 each for the new part number. Had a fellow tech needing to fix his daughters Dakota... told him to ask if he could buy the recall part vs new OE... parts sold him the recall part no problem and saved him lots of dollars.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/19/20 7:08 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

Oh, I was going to anyway- though I believe the PO actually unplugged the passenger airbag rather than take it in for the recall. -_-  95% of the time so far it's been just me in the car though so it hasn't worried me, but going into summer The Dancer will be riding in it more so I want the airbags working properly. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XaM6CKkwuHBYps0UvNSTiXwKnsRFSIdlAXyj5Kh9r4mFYP0MkwC37vVH18pAGk02