JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
2/27/16 10:57 a.m.

Cleaning up the shop. This is the motor from the Lot Lizzard skidpad challenge build.

It is a 1978 VW Bus Type 4 motor. 2 liter with hydraulic valves (yea! no more valve adjustments!)

It has 1.8 liter heads because they have larger valves which are better with the dual carb setup.

EMPI Dual carbs. Flywheel is setup for use with a Type 1 (Bug) transmission but can easily be put back in a bus by removing the pilot bearing from the flywheel and putting it back in the crankshaft snout.

Has a moroso brand "accusump" oil accumulator, 3qts.

No issues, runs great, sold the Lot Lizard as a roller. Was saving this for another project so no hurry to see it go, but its also just sitting so better someone use it.

tdrrally
tdrrally Reader
2/27/16 11:05 a.m.

i like it, wish i had something to put it in!

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
2/27/16 11:53 a.m.
tdrrally wrote: i like it, wish i had something to put it in!

Kinda my issue. been hanging on to it with the idea of putting it into a street legal baja bug or something but I have about 6 different "next project" ideas going on right now and I realized many of them were being driven purely by the desire to put this engine in something :)

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/27/16 1:38 p.m.

What's a guesstimate at the HP?

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
2/27/16 7:15 p.m.
petegossett wrote: What's a guesstimate at the HP?

100-110 guessing

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/27/16 9:13 p.m.

Why is my bus a 1971 with all its not type 4ness? Why!!

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
2/27/16 9:57 p.m.
nocones wrote: Why is my bus a 1971 with all its not type 4ness? Why!!

Fairly sure you can still bolt this up to your 71, remember its been converted to work with a bug transaxle so it will bolt up to your trans. Dimensionally I think the engine bay's are similar. You'd need to add mounts to bolt up the rear engine mount, easy enough.

markwemple
markwemple Dork
2/28/16 10:30 a.m.

Yeah. They ran type 4s in type 2s beginning in 72. I've owned both.

Cooter
Cooter Reader
2/28/16 11:47 a.m.

I would love this for my tub buggy. Probably should get it titled first, instead.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
2/28/16 12:08 p.m.
markwemple wrote: Yeah. They ran type 4s in type 2s beginning in 72. I've owned both.

As have I, but there are some slight indifferences, easy to get around but I'd rather the purchaser err on the side of caution as it's not entirely a bolt in affair (but darn close)

Powar
Powar UltraDork
2/29/16 11:10 a.m.

My '75 Bus needs this in a bad way, but the timing is totally wrong. I need to think about things I could sell.

Other than shortening the life of the trans, would you see any major problem mating this to the automatic in a '75?

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
2/29/16 1:27 p.m.
Powar wrote: My '75 Bus needs this in a bad way, but the timing is totally wrong. I need to think about things I could sell. Other than shortening the life of the trans, would you see any major problem mating this to the automatic in a '75?

They put these behind autos too so it shouldnt shorten the life too much. There is a sale pending right now, due to be paid and picked up tonight, I will update the thread either way.

Powar
Powar UltraDork
2/29/16 1:43 p.m.
JThw8 wrote:
Powar wrote: My '75 Bus needs this in a bad way, but the timing is totally wrong. I need to think about things I could sell. Other than shortening the life of the trans, would you see any major problem mating this to the automatic in a '75?
They put these behind autos too so it shouldnt shorten the life too much. There is a sale pending right now, due to be paid and picked up tonight, I will update the thread either way.

Fart.

Definitely keep us updated.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
2/29/16 3:59 p.m.

Sold.

roadsportusa
roadsportusa New Reader
3/2/16 9:43 a.m.

let me know if the sale falls through Ron

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
3/2/16 1:49 p.m.

In reply to roadsportusa:

It has already been picked up and paid for.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nuKZAIeMd6WMph0CdQlBO7tVxLvaRMJ30gVEPsszgJdwL0V90Ym6IjuR6cCHskW2