SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid New Reader
7/12/10 11:06 p.m.

I'm looking for a roof mounted bike rack for a Jeep Cherokee. Preferably free, if not ridiculously cheap.

My mountain bike barely fits in back and I would rather just put it up top.

Thanks.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
7/13/10 11:44 a.m.

Do you have the factory roof rack, and if so which year Cherokee do you have? I might be able to set you up with something.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
7/13/10 4:46 p.m.

I have a '95 Cherokee and I do have a factory roof rack.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Reader
7/13/10 5:54 p.m.

Do you have the spare on the back? My brother has one from his wrangler that he keeps bugging me to put on craigslist for him. i attaches to the spare tire somehow (never seen it before)

JoeyM
JoeyM HalfDork
7/13/10 6:21 p.m.

You might be able to find one for cheap that doesn't fit your current vehicle and modify it. I had a rack for my E110 corolla that would not fit my E140 corolla. A welder and some rubberized coating fixed that. Here's a before/after picture of the clamps showing the modification

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
7/13/10 6:35 p.m.

I think I have a broken set of the clips for a Cherokee that would allow you to fit one Yakima cross bar to it. If I can find them and a spare bar you could then use your stock bars in the rear and probably get something hooked up.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
7/14/10 9:26 p.m.
oldopelguy wrote: I think I have a broken set of the clips for a Cherokee that would allow you to fit one Yakima cross bar to it. If I can find them and a spare bar you could then use your stock bars in the rear and probably get something hooked up.

I love it when a plan comes together.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8CGCksFGuRFskCP5dkqB1wFpDs6mwTNOM8VqYsR3EtaDCAXszhv9d0zKY8mHcMtd